Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm finally ready to buy... does location make a huge difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:13 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm finally ready to buy... does location make a huge difference?

I plan on buying a 997.2 CPO and I currently live in Connecticut. I am relocating to Florida for work in the next few months and I'm wondering the location will make a difference if/when I ever decide to sell or trade in the car.

My worry is a "winter driven car" will be worth less in Florida, so I should just wait to buy the car down there.

I'm not in any rush but as I look for cars, the ones I like are near CT more often than FL.

If there's not much difference, I could get one up here.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:27 AM
wbellinz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin
I plan on buying a 997.2 CPO and I currently live in Connecticut. I am relocating to Florida for work in the next few months and I'm wondering the location will make a difference if/when I ever decide to sell or trade in the car. My worry is a "winter driven car" will be worth less in Florida, so I should just wait to buy the car down there. I'm not in any rush but as I look for cars, the ones I like are near CT more often than FL. If there's not much difference, I could get one up here.
I'd just wait and buy in FL. If I recall correctly, FL is the 2nd largest luxury car market. This is especially true of South Florida. There is lots of supply.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:58 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would wait until you relocate. This way you will not need to worry about the transport and the cost of moving the car.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by patpetillo
I would wait until you relocate. This way you will not need to worry about the transport and the cost of moving the car.
I figures this would be one suggestion but honestly the idea of buying my first 911 and driving it to Florida myself is half the reason I want to buy it up here haha..

If there's a financially responsible reason to buy in Florida, primarily that the car has never seen snow etc, I'm way more willing to wait.

I've been looking forward to this the majority of my life so waiting until I'm in Florida is fine as long as I have a good reason.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

[QUOTE=Collin Chapin;12137818]...

If there's a financially responsible reason to buy in Florida, primarily that the car has never seen snow etc, I'm way more willing to wait.

...[Quote]

If resale value is important to you, a CA/TX/AZ/FL..., IMO, will have better marketability.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:35 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Colin , I agree with these guys, wait til you get to Florida. That would be prudent.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible to find a good deal and a good 911 anywhere in the US. I've bought in three different states. While I understand the arguments for waiting, I don't see why the OP would wait. He wants to have the Porsche experience now. I say, if you find the car you want, go for it. Life is short.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin
I figures this would be one suggestion but honestly the idea of buying my first 911 and driving it to Florida myself is half the reason I want to buy it up here haha...
Another comment. This could be a lot of fun if you intend to avoid the Interstate, using backroads to make the trip. Otherwise, you're putting miles on the car droning down I95.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

One update, I spoke with my two Porsche sales guys in my area and they made a point that I hadn't thought of, and I wanted to know if you guys feel this is valid or just a sales tactic.

They told me that I will get a better deal on a convertible in the north east because they aren't as popular. I do want a cab and they said I will pay more for that in the South.

Truth or BS?
Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really don't know, but in my experience rarity = higher price. I would strongly recommend you do a search through the 911 Locator and AutoTrader just to establish availability of the specific configuration you want and pricing. If you want that CPO then the 911 Locator would be your prime source.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:59 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Posted on another thread as sources:
Try these
www.racperformance.com (TX)
www.formanmotorsport.com (AZ)
www.sloancars.com (NY)
www.truspeedmotorcars.com (CA)
www.willhoitenterprises.com (MO)
www.formula1miami.com (FL)
www.victorymotorcars.com (TX)
www.nwicars.com/showroom.htm (OR)
www.chicagomotorcars.com (IL)
www.rpmsportscars.com
www.mgmsl.com
www.themiamigarage.com (FL)
www.starwoodmotors.com (TX)
www.premiersportscars.com (MO)
www.selectluxury.com (GA)
www.drivingemotions.com (FL)
www.rennlist.com
www.ecarlink.com (TX)
www.exoticclassics.com (NY)
www.pelicanparts.com
www.6speedonline.com
www.usimotors.com/porsche (TN)
www.lakenormanimports.com (NC)
www.foreigncarsitalia.com (NC)
www.ardemotorcars.com (TN)
www.musiccitymotorsports.com (TN)
www.globalmotorsportsinc.com/web/inventory (TN)
http://www.flemingsultimategarage.com/index.php (MD)
Old 03-21-2015, 02:58 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought my 911 in Fla and drove it back to upstate NY. Here s what I found.
I wouldn t worry if you want a salt free car as many cars in the northeast are not driven in winters, eps with Porsches.( and those owners are proud to tell you).
I found I got a better price on my Coupe because it was in Fla where most would want a cab. And so I know Cab cars are cheaper in the northeast during cold months.
I would just look and when the right car/price strikes you then jump in.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by cerbomark
I bought my 911 in Fla and drove it back to upstate NY. Here s what I found.
I wouldn t worry if you want a salt free car as many cars in the northeast are not driven in winters, eps with Porsches.( and those owners are proud to tell you).
I found I got a better price on my Coupe because it was in Fla where most would want a cab. And so I know Cab cars are cheaper in the northeast during cold months.
I would just look and when the right car/price strikes you then jump in.
This is also what my sales guy told me. Fortunately the Danbury Porsche dealer is about half a mile from an independent Porsche shop I have already established a relationship with, and they're happy to look at the car.

The guy i'm working with (from Danbury Porsche) tells me that many of the cars in this area have never seen snow or even rain some times, as he said the owners "care for the car more than their family".

I guess i'll keep my options open, the other advantage is I have a car in this area worth probably $3,000-4,000 in trade in but I wouldn't have any way to get it to FL to trade it in (without driving it down which isn't worth it).
Old 03-21-2015, 03:58 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Clifton Park NY Porsche had a nice 09? C2s CPO car last week when I was there. It s driveable distance as I also checked out Danbury Porsche,.. Didn t care for their sales dept...
Old 03-21-2015, 10:18 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Temperature extremes, salt & gravel on snowy roads, possibly more stop & go driving up north -- all good reasons to just wait and buy in FL.

Quick Reply: I'm finally ready to buy... does location make a huge difference?