997 Carrera GTS - Two Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997 Carrera GTS - Two Questions

Hi Guys,

I am currently in the market for a 2WD 997 GTS, and I stumbled across a GTS brochure (dated Feb 2011) on the internet, and there are 2 interesting options that I never seem to see in any cars.

They are:
- Sport Bucket Seats
- Optional Rear Seats (According to the brochure, the rear seats are excluded by default, but they can be included at no cost.)

I have not seen a single car with either of these (sport bucket seats or no rear seats.) Was this truly an option in the US?

Thanks,
Olaf
Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i was under the impression sport buckets are fairly common in GTS, but I've never personally seen the rear seat delete
Old 03-18-2015, 12:45 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

I have attached some pics below that I snapped from the brochure for reference:

Old 03-18-2015, 02:13 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a really nice CPO preowned gts 2wd at a dealer for a great price if you do a cop search; can be delivered to you. I bought a different one from another dealer but both were really nice and lower price than i imagined.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Yes, sport buckets were an option but not sure of the rear seat delete. It is in my brochure though. I know of two other Rennlist members who bought a GTS preowned that had the Sport Buckets. They are a very pricey option both new and as a retrofit... and hard to find. So, they are bit more rare, but again, removal of the old seats and installation of the sport buckets is a relatively simple task.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by nwGTS; 03-18-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:55 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Rear seat exclusion was a Euro feature, not offered in US.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I was told by my sales guy (and I also read it somewhere) that, for reasons related DOT regulations, the rear seat delete was not an option for U.S. Market cars. Whether or not this is true doesn't really matter b/c it takes a hex wrench, star wrench and about ten minutes to remove them (there are step by step directions with pictures in a thread here somewhere). And look at it this way, PAG didn't charge extra for the rear seats so you get them for free! How often do Porsche and "free" have the chance to be in the same sentence together?

Insofar as the Sports Buckets are concerned, I sat in them for about two minutes in a GT2 and ordered them. If you are going to special order a car and even have minimal interest in Sports Buckets, it is probably worthwhile to pay for this option. Porsche charges about $4K for the seats but they retail for around $8K. There is never a shortage of people who will buy them from you so it's not much of a risk. The only downside is that a car that comes w/ Sport Buckets may not have a wiring harness for electric seats so that would have to be retrofitted. I don't think that is as big a deal as retrofitting the wiring for heated seats.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:55 AM
myrmidon
Instructor

Thank you all for the brilliant detailed responses.

Now ramping up the search in earnest :-)
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Myrimidon, I'm looking for a GTS as well. Can you tell me the best places to watch out for one? Cars.com for sure but where else?
Thanks for any help.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:41 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by GraSox
Myrimidon, I'm looking for a GTS as well. Can you tell me the best places to watch out for one? Cars.com for sure but where else?
Thanks for any help.
I bought mine a little over a month ago from a dealer. Many were just turned in after leasing and are on CPO or original warranty. I used the Porsche.com 911 finder and recommend that for others as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

FYI, the Sport Buckets are only adjustable for forward and back and height, but not recline. If you're not going to be doing a lot of track work and some longer drives, you'll probably find the Adaptive Sport Seats to be more comfortable and the better choice. If you want them stickier for track work buy a used set from a GTused and the centers will be alcantara and less slippery than the full leather versions. Some have air adjustable side bolsters and that's what the two little switches on the front corner of the seat do. These used to be called "Adaptive Sport Seats Plus" seats and without them, no "plus" but from the brochure it looks like maybe they're all "plus" versions now and just not called that any longer.

All types of seats are listed for sale all the time.

Originally Posted by GraSox
Thanks for any help.
Try these
www.racperformance.com (TX)
www.formanmotorsport.com (AZ)
www.sloancars.com (NY)
www.truspeedmotorcars.com (CA)
www.willhoitenterprises.com (MO)
www.formula1miami.com (FL)
www.victorymotorcars.com (TX)
www.nwicars.com/showroom.htm (OR)
www.chicagomotorcars.com (IL)
www.rpmsportscars.com
www.mgmsl.com
www.themiamigarage.com (FL)
www.starwoodmotors.com (TX)
www.premiersportscars.com (MO)
www.selectluxury.com (GA)
www.drivingemotions.com (FL)
www.rennlist.com
www.ecarlink.com (TX)
www.exoticclassics.com (NY)
www.pelicanparts.com
www.6speedonline.com
www.usimotors.com/porsche (TN)
www.lakenormanimports.com (NC)
www.foreigncarsitalia.com (NC)
www.ardemotorcars.com (TN)
www.musiccitymotorsports.com (TN)
www.globalmotorsportsinc.com/web/inventory (TN)
http://www.flemingsultimategarage.com/index.php (MD)
Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

when they first came out the rear seat delete was an option, I saw pics of one car at a dealer that had, no seats. But I never saw another one and when i asked my dealer he said everybody wanted rear seats anyway, so they never ordered one
Old 03-19-2015, 03:26 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
FYI, the Sport Buckets are only adjustable for forward and back and height, but not recline.
Height?? Not mine. Just forward and back.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Height?? Not mine. Just forward and back.
Not mine either. But I have heard and seen pictures of washhers placed on the mounting brackets to add a slight bit of height and/or pitch. Also, mine are leather and I don't slide around in them (street or track).
Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I bought mine a little over a month ago from a dealer. Many were just turned in after leasing and are on CPO or original warranty. I used the Porsche.com 911 finder and recommend that for others as well.
I also used the 911 Locator for my search, but I was looking only for a CPOd car. I did review many other sites, but that was primarily to establish a fair price.

Quick Reply: 997 Carrera GTS - Two Questions