Sponsored by:

Adding Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:02 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The throttle curve gets modified. Full throttle occurs at half pressed.

A lot of people swear the car gets faster. I don't see it, but I know I have less fine control of the throttle. So it seems faster, or at least more responsive.

I would rather move my foot farther and have better control feathering the gas. You can determine shift points with either the Manual or the PDK. So the change in the shift range doesn't matter (to me), although the throttle blip on the PDK is nice.

My preference is to hit the PASM button to stiffen up the suspension and keep the throttle curve untouched. That's backwards to most.

Bottom line to me is that SC doesn't offer a lot on the MT. I failed to mention launch control (on the PDK).

I sense I lay outside the norm on this topic. I will bet there will be plenty who tell you something different!
Thanks, Wayne. Besides having a fancy Sport button on the console, the revised throttle mapping is the only other modification I see to SC for MT cars with PASM. I know SC adds some other techno additions accessible in the PCM like dimmer settings and whatnot, but I'm just wondering what performance mods SC adds for MT cars. Any MT guys/gals out there with SC who can also weigh in here?
Old 02-06-2015, 01:10 PM
jcourtney997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also getting the FVD tune today, so I'm assuming that will add more than the sport button anyway.

Getting this from RAC in Dallas (minus the headers and exhaust ... for now).

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...d-version.html
Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

I spoke with the FVD sales rep today. She told me the tune does not really add extra enhancement over what it already does in the OEM sport mode but it will smooth it out some. I had a nice long talk with her and will soon order the Brombacher exhaust and the BMP air filter and get the genius tuner too.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Not sure if you realize since you don't have one for reference, the sport chrono face on the dash is purely a stopwatch and does not function as a clock. It is only lit and active when the timer is actively in use, it is dark at all other times.
You can keep it lit all the time without the timer actively in use. Start the timer and then turn it off without resetting it. Light stays on.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

You can keep it lit all the time without the timer actively in use. Start the timer and then turn it off without resetting it. Light stays on.
True, but some find the light high and near sight line at night to be annoying. Of course, it is easy enough to shut the light off by resetting the timer!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Thanks, Wayne. Besides having a fancy Sport button on the console, the revised throttle mapping is the only other modification I see to SC for MT cars with PASM. I know SC adds some other techno additions accessible in the PCM like dimmer settings and whatnot, but I'm just wondering what performance mods SC adds for MT cars. Any MT guys/gals out there with SC who can also weigh in here?
I added it to my 05 C2S with a MT and it's totally worth it IMO only if you intend to ever drive your car on the track. You get 3 things with the sport mode software on a MT car:
  1. Sport throttle mapping - the throttle responds quicker and has a more direct curve to full power. It's a very noticeable difference, but personally I find it more of a pain to activate around town in traffic. It can help with heel-toe'ing on a track.
  2. Hard rev limiter - instead of cutting ignition when you hit the rev limit with the standard soft rev limiter, thereby lurching the car for an instant as it loses power, with the hard rev limiter you can hold the throttle at redline and bounce it off the limiter, which can again be very useful on the track.
  3. Fully disable PSM - You can turn the traction\stability control off on any 911 but it will always reintervene at a set threshold when the tires lose traction. However, if the car is in Sport mode then you can "almost" fully disable PSM and it will not reintervene until a much lower threshold, once again very useful on the track but not so much for street driving.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:02 AM
jcourtney997
Advanced

It would be interesting to see how the sport software compares to the tune in charts . Got my FVD tune done yesterday and I love it. Definitely more throttle response and seems much peppier in lower RPMs.

Curious thing though is that it claims to actually add HP whereas the sport software does not.

$1300
Old 02-07-2015, 10:04 AM
jcourtney997
Advanced

So, sort of like always having the sport button engaged without the rougher suspension.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I had an FVD-Brombacher tune done on my ex-6GT3 once I took it off the track. I did it for better street-driveability. Gave me better low-end and midrange response, which is what I wanted/asked them to do. I dyno'd it, 337 rwhp. My original dyno had me at 323 rwhp, so, a gain of 14 rwhp.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:43 AM
jcourtney997
Advanced

I did not dyno, but was told it would take me from 355 to 370. Headers and exhaust would add 12 more.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:54 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

That sound about right. Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss, my 323 rwhp takes it to 380 hp, which is Porsche's spec. Likewise, the 337 rwhp takes it to 397 hp, so, a 14 rwhp gain.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jcourtney997
It would be interesting to see how the sport software compares to the tune in charts . Got my FVD tune done yesterday and I love it. Definitely more throttle response and seems much peppier in lower RPMs.

Curious thing though is that it claims to actually add HP whereas the sport software does not.

$1300
Correct - Porsche Sport Mode Software does not add HP. On the Turbo, the overboost function of the Sport Mode Software does change torque but again no additional HP. An ECU tune will add HP.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:09 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

But not much for the $. I did it for above stated reason, and because there was a "special" on it at the time, 50% off.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:01 AM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
But not much for the $. I did it for above stated reason, and because there was a "special" on it at the time, 50% off.
50 percent?! When where once in a lifetime?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanksgiving 2008 special.

Quick Reply: Adding Sport Chrono?