Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Steering wheel options for 997.2 PDK

What's good? What to get?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:03 AM
texlbs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped to the oem with paddles, much better.
The following users liked this post:
aways (10-13-2019)
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

This may be an unpopular opinion, and it is just my experience, but I like the original shift buttons on the wheel. I can up shift will the base of my thumb and downshift with the tip of my fingers at any time without having to reach off of the wheel or alter my grip. Yeah, it's not to convention. But once you get used to it, IMHO, it's pretty straight forward. That's aiming you have PDK or Tiptronic.

I like the multi function for a DD. I can make adjustments and selections without moving my grip. I do wish Sport Mode was available without having to reach to the left side of the center console, working my hand forward to the vertical, and then feeling my index finger over to the switch.

I've got old beat up fingers (most of my body actually)! The heated function is nice in the morning while I'm trying to get my joints working again. It's kind of exorbitant for a performance car, but hey ...

I also like the carbon fiber for the appearance. I've taught myself out of hand over hand steering to compensate for air bags so I don't actually touch the carbon. It is strictly appearance and vanity.

I'm sure others have their opinions as well.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:06 AM
BSU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the multifunction switch kit. It is now at the dealership getting the programming turned on.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9972electronic

I'm going to post a "how to" when I get it back and am certain I did it correctly.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,036 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
What's good? What to get?
Subjective topic. Some like the buttons, most seem to prefer the paddles. Some won't have anything but OEM, others are ok with custom. For me, the OEM wheels are on the skinny side, even the "thicker" option so I've had two wheels built by Dallas Custom http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/index.htm They're OEM wheels with thicker padding, and customized stitching, leather and/or alcantara. Hands down one of my favorite mods.

DCT is another custom wheel maker. http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH.html No personal experience but many happy customers around here.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I like origional buttons with multifunction switch alot better than paddles
Old 12-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
I like origional buttons with multifunction switch alot better than paddles
Thanks. I figured I'd be a lone wolf on this one!

But I understand that it is a matter of taste, and I can see how anyone owning multiple cars would want similar controls. Porsche did go out into left field on this originally. Maybe that's one of the reasons I like it! If I ever wrapped my wheel to make it thicker (I won't) I'd keep the shifters as they are.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:48 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Thanks. I figured I'd be a lone wolf on this one!

But I understand that it is a matter of taste, and I can see how anyone owning multiple cars would want similar controls. Porsche did go out into left field on this originally. Maybe that's one of the reasons I like it! If I ever wrapped my wheel to make it thicker (I won't) I'd keep the shifters as they are.

I have multifunction and I really don't care for it. The only good part is the volume button. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't flip through my radio presets. I can change one of the buttons to flip through radio stations but its not my presets, its every single station. The only way I can flip through presets is by using the wheel to toggle to a preset on have on screen then press that toggle button. It's annoying and I find myself just pressing the button on screen.

I do wish I had heated steering. Our 5 Series, X5 and MDX all have/had it. Once you have it, you can't go back.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
I do wish I had heated steering. Our 5 Series, X5 and MDX all have/had it. Once you have it, you can't go back.
Amen to that. I am hooked. Just wish you could get it on the OEM wheel with paddles. The switches don't do it for me unless it's coffee time.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

By far the shift paddles are better. With the buttons the meat of your hand can and will cause a upshift you don't want at times. This happened a lot while track driving or autocross while properly holding the wheels at 9&3.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey Sandwedge...those wheels look so awesome! WOW! Nice!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,036 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Hey Sandwedge...those wheels look so awesome! WOW! Nice!
They're great mods Mike. Fat and meaty, in your hands and in your face every time you get in the car. Inexpensive too compared to a lot of other things we do to these cars. Just over $400 with core exchange and $1,000 without. Btw....the color of the wheel with the red stripe and stitching is off in the picture. Too loud. The real thing is much quieter.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I will second sand wedges comment on custom wheels. May be my favorite mod as its where my hands are It's so tactile. The leather is as good as OEM but the thickness and added thumb notches took mine up a huge notch. Mine is similar to SW second one. Red stripe and red stitching but all leather. I absolutely love it
Old 01-29-2015, 01:08 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Does the dealer have to reprogram the car for the paddles and sport chrono lights to work? Or is it plug and play with the basic PDK wheel?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:03 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
This may be an unpopular opinion, and it is just my experience, but I like the original shift buttons on the wheel. I can up shift will the base of my thumb and downshift with the tip of my fingers at any time without having to reach off of the wheel or alter my grip. Yeah, it's not to convention...
I see that there are a few Porsche owners who actually appreciate the redundant button design. It is a brilliant design going against the grain.

Those who like the paddles, go ahead, enjoy those. But it is good to have options.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel options for 997.2 PDK