Widebody ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
A challenge with that rear wing covering the flat horizontal of the fenders. But I love a challenge. That being said, it looks wide body to me.

But I've got to count on you to confirm or deny.
I'll wait on a few more guesses, then divulge the answer. Here's a slightly different perspective.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2014, 10:29 AM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be a wide body. You could sit on that 'ledge'. Yet the lights seem to wrap all the way around the bend so it must be a narrow body...
Totally confused.

All I do know is without some pronounced hips the back half of the new 911's look too much like a 1975 Chevy Monza sometimes. And that is a sin!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:26 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'll wait on a few more guesses, then divulge the answer. Here's a slightly different perspective.
Hmmm, I'm going with narrow body, though perhaps framed against all the width of the spoiler, etc, just makes the hips "seem" relatively narrower to my eyes.

Either way, looks great and has a wide look overall / stance for sure!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Anyone have a pic of a wb next to a nb? This one doesn't quite show the difference, if you can really tell a difference. BTW, the GT3 has gone to a new home.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:44 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm gonna guess narrow body. Although in pictures it could be either depending on the distance and perspective (wide angle lens, etc). It looks similar to pictures of my NB from a similar angle but again, camera differences could render comparisons void. The main thing I look at is how much the "body" of the car extends beyond the tail light edges since I assume the tail lights are the same dimensions for NB or WB, the WB would presumably have more sheet metal beyond it. WB or NB, your car looks great!

Edit: Added a pic of what I look for to differentiate the NB from WB from the rear angle (in red). Got these images from google search and tried to line them up best I could.
Attached Images  

Last edited by scorcherjf; 11-05-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:48 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Anyone have a pic of a wb next to a nb? This one doesn't quite show the difference, if you can really tell a difference. BTW, the GT3 has gone to a new home.
Funny, because in this shot the GTS looks much wider to me...
Old 11-05-2014, 11:55 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to vote NB as well...I grabbed a pic of my C4S and flipped back and forth to this pic and it seems like to me that my fender sticks out just a tad more (1.7in...ha! ha!) over the wheel...but like others have said it could be the angle???
Old 11-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As I'm sure the suspense is killing you, it's a C2S so narrow body, but with a few RUF rear end pieces (CF decklid with spoiler, RGT style rear bumper with through-bumper exhaust, and corresponding RUF Oval exhaust tips.

My point was that with the 997 and Porsche's return to the more "Coke Bottle" shape of the 993 (vs. the rather straight-sided 996 generation) that even the narrow body cars have a nice wide rear end, so if you're looking for 997 P-cars and like the driving dynamics of the rear wheel 2 wheel drive only cars, the rear is still nice and wide visually.

I was actually looking for a wide body car, but when I found this supercharged RUF one, i couldn't pass it up. It had a regular C2S bumper on it originally and I installed the RUF one to complement the lines of the RUF front bumper, Fabspeed exhaust, and made the upper RUF wing active-aero like on the TT cars. I love the way it turned out and you never see another one like it. There are only 10-15 RR-Kompressorcars in the world and not many have the rear bumper, less than half. In the profile view you can see how the bottom front bumper effect is carried down the side of the car and up into the rear bumper.

They're all great cars in whatever variety you choose.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:10 PM
MY997
Racer

Thanks for doing that and educating folks and it was fun. And your 997 Ruf is a gorgeous car...
Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

As I'm sure the suspense is killing you, it's a C2S so narrow body, but with a few RUF rear end pieces (CF decklid with spoiler, RGT style rear bumper with through-bumper exhaust, and corresponding RUF Oval exhaust tips.

My point was that with the 997 and Porsche's return to the more "Coke Bottle" shape of the 993 (vs. the rather straight-sided 996 generation) that even the narrow body cars have a nice wide rear end, so if you're looking for 997 P-cars and like the driving dynamics of the rear wheel 2 wheel drive only cars, the rear is still nice and wide visually.

I was actually looking for a wide body car, but when I found this supercharged RUF one, i couldn't pass it up. It had a regular C2S bumper on it originally and I installed the RUF one to complement the lines of the RUF front bumper, Fabspeed exhaust, and made the upper RUF wing active-aero like on the TT cars. I love the way it turned out and you never see another one like it. There are only 10-15 RR-Kompressorcars in the world and not many have the rear bumper, less than half. In the profile view you can see how the bottom front bumper effect is carried down the side of the car and up into the rear bumper.

They're all great cars in whatever variety you choose.
Beautiful, tastefully done car.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Beautiful, tastefully done car.
Thanks. That means a lot coming from a group of enthusiasts.

Lots of CF inside, suspension mods, noselift - pretty much a no expense spared make it exactly the way I want it car. I don't see ever selling it. Giving similar treatment to a 928 Spyder right now, which I purchased from Doug M, who is actually the one that started this thread
Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM
MY997
Racer

Thanks. That means a lot coming from a group of enthusiasts.
It takes one to appreciate one...right?

And your point is very well made NB vs WB in that...Who gives a frig? I am driving a 997 or any Porsche for that matter...like the saying..."There is no Substitute"
Old 11-05-2014, 01:34 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My point was that with the 997 and Porsche's return to the more "Coke Bottle" shape of the 993 (vs. the rather straight-sided 996 generation) that even the narrow body cars have a nice wide rear end, so if you're looking for 997 P-cars and like the driving dynamics of the rear wheel 2 wheel drive only cars, the rear is still nice and wide visually. ....
Thanks for the insight. That is probably why my perception was confused. I never realized there was a difference between the 997 and 996 with regard to the side panel shaping. It wasn't the view direct from the rear that sometimes had me not loving it, it was as I walked around from the rear that they seemed to lose some appeal. It was probably that shaping difference that was effecting my opinion more than just the widebody-or-not effect.

This makes my search for the 'right' 997 that fits my budget much easier.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by aggravation

Thanks for the insight. That is probably why my perception was confused. I never realized there was a difference between the 997 and 996 with regard to the side panel shaping. It wasn't the view direct from the rear that sometimes had me not loving it, it was as I walked around from the rear that they seemed to lose some appeal. It was probably that shaping difference that was effecting my opinion more than just the widebody-or-not effect.

This makes my search for the 'right' 997 that fits my budget much easier.
Cool ... What he said!

I admit that I thought there was more difference than there is. I got fooled by the picture. I still need to tune my eyes and viewpoint a bit. I turned to Porsche for the drive and am still learning to appreciate the visual.

Beautiful car BTW.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:07 PM
MY997
Racer

Hey everyone I just learned something interesting about the 991 models today from my Porsche Motorsports division. The GT3, the 4 and the 4S are wide bodies but they are a tad (did not know the exact difference) narrower than the Turbo and Turbo S...only the 991...on the 997 they were all the same...interesting and why??? Oh well...

Quick Reply: Widebody ?