Sponsored by:

Jaguar F Type S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by By-Tor
I think when the reviewers take the cars on the track and simply compare the performance numbers, they miss the whole point of a car like F-Type. You shouldn't compare a classic real wheel drive sports car to an AWD when making 0-60 tests and track performance... there just isn't enough grip to compete against AWD in the 500+ hp territory.

It's also a lot about "spirit" and the genuine sports car feel. I think this review hit the nail on the head and pointed out how fantastic cars these both are (but in different ways).
If it's about "genuine sports car feel", I think that the F-Type misses the mark badly. No manual gearbox option, no DCT option - it's not a sportscar, IMO.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:02 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
I actually love the look of the XJS. One of my favorite cars.
There's someone in my neighbourhood who restored and "modernized" one of those. The old lady is just stunning.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

I'm a big Jag fan, dating back when I had my Matchbox collection. The fact I ended getting a 997 has nothing to do with this...

When I started looking for a "nice" car I tested both XJR and XKR Jags and I came back impressed. The XKR is one of the easiest cars to drive like a complete raving lunatic and the level of comfort inside is one class above my 997. For a cruiser that can handle occasional bouts of madness the XKR is pretty hard to beat. As for the XJR, I was astonished a big sedan like that can move its bulk with such authority and urgency when called upon.

In terms of reliability I believe the Ford years have finally brought a decent electrical system that works, curing the endless gremlins plaguing the older models. As a whole, most automotive brands have made decent progress in reliability and Jaguar is no exception. If I'm not mistaken models from 2004-2005 on have average and above average ratings.

In terms of styling however I'm not so sure. The XK series is good looking and have a tendency to look better in person than in pictures, I love those and not hold Callum responsible for designing something as gorgeous looking as an AM in a more affordable (but highly performing package).

I remember however driving by a Jag dealer in Etobicoke when the first XFs started appearing and caught myself wondering why Jag is selling new Chryslers now. Same thing with the redesigned XJ... It's good looking in a "Lexusy" sort of way and that's a terrible thing to say about a Jag. Appealing to a larger audience while paying a close ear to an automotive press clamoring for an "updated" look meant losing the model's identity into a mishmash of otherwise good looking features that say Jaguar to no one.

Enter the F type. Proud successor of the E type. Period.

We, as a Porsche owner's group, should judge a car on it's own merits and on the tradition that brand represents. How many of those traditional values are making it this new model? Plenty if you ask me and enough to signal a welcome return to form for Jaguar, idiosyncrasies included.

If Jaguar is smart enough to evolve and massage the F type for a few decades while resisting the outsider's punter calls to fundamentally change the overall design, we'll all be able to say we've witnessed the birth of a classic.

Last edited by BogdanR; 11-08-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by By-Tor
Yeah... the old XJ was a stunner. Especially the post 2004 facelift model. Check this out. The salesman is greasier than Zorro's hat band but the car looks fantastic.

Here in Europe the XJ always had the "old money" reputation. Classy and expensive but unfortunately the owners were mostly "old men" too. I think they tried to get rid of that image with the new sedan designs.

XF isn't a bad looking car but it's a bit too ordinary and boring. Actually it looks too much like Volvo.
I love the XJ8 (04-09) bodystyle, very elegant. In fact I just purchased a 2004 Vanden Plaas edition from a private seller and paid $8600 including tax. Arguably the smartest purchase in my garage.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Para82
I love the XJ8 (04-09) bodystyle, very elegant. In fact I just purchased a 2004 Vanden Plaas edition from a private seller and paid $8600 including tax. Arguably the smartest purchase in my garage.
Vanden Plas is short for "Everything AND the kitchen sink". I was mighty tempted by one of those as well...
Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 PM
By-Tor
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 138 Posts

Jeremy Clarkson explains Jag owners.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F Type S Coupe