Sponsored by:

Jaguar F Type S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porterror
Love the look of these cars, but nervous about buying a Ford-era Aston. Probably reflecting that in the price.
I don't understand some of the Ford reliability comments. You all do realize the Ford's are some of the most reliable cars on the road?

I've never owned the more generic stuff but the high performance Mustangs come with bulletproof engines (forged bottom end etc) that can handle much more HP than they give you out of the factory - this is evident in the 5.4L and 5.8L Shelby GT500 engine as well as the 5.0L Boss 302 engine - both reliable up over 800hp and you can flog them all day long and never worry. So is this just an old American stereotype kind of like saying American cars can't turn? I suppose in the 90's this brand made a lot of garbage.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I've considered those cars before, just not enough going on with it to make me commit, but I do like them.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
I respect the Vette quite a bit because - like a 911 - its an evolutionary car that has existed in one basic architecture since inception. They tweak at the boundaries with an occasional step jump in capability. In many ways, Vette's and 911's are the only cars of their kind in the world: History, tradition, racing pedigree all in a single basic architecture over the length of the car's run.
Fully agree with this.

Unfortunately, later model Corvettes have suffered from severe depreciation which 911s have not, leading to some less than ideal owners in that community. You have to respect the 'vette, and someday I will own a C2, but I feel much classier in my 911
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are probably 100% correct, but still think the Ford-era is effecting the price on these beauties. Plus, I can't find any good reliability metrics to prove my point

Originally Posted by Para82
I don't understand some of the Ford reliability comments. You all do realize the Ford's are some of the most reliable cars on the road?

I've never owned the more generic stuff but the high performance Mustangs come with bulletproof engines (forged bottom end etc) that can handle much more HP than they give you out of the factory - this is evident in the 5.4L and 5.8L Shelby GT500 engine as well as the 5.0L Boss 302 engine - both reliable up over 800hp and you can flog them all day long and never worry. So is this just an old American stereotype kind of like saying American cars can't turn? I suppose in the 90's this brand made a lot of garbage.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I think we are well beyond the Found On Road Dead & Fix Or Repair Daily definitions for F.O.R.D, but thoughts like those are difficult to erase.

Ford has had some major success also: (and needs to receive kudos for those achievements)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT40

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT

This car did win the 24 Hours of Le Mans 4 consecutive times in the mid 60's (over Ferrari). So they are a capable manufacturer, that clearly stumbled but has righted themselves (IMO).
Old 10-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I too love the F-Type. I prefer the coupe to the convertible though. It's right up there with the Aston Vantage, but the Vantage is now starting to show its age.

Re: older Ford-Jags - my Mom has an 05 X-Type. Junk. I was with them when they test drove it, basically new as it was a dealer demo, told them not to buy it, still bought it anyway. Bleah. Since then though, I think TATA's done a bang up job with JLR. The new Rangies are exquisite. We are also very pleased with our LR3. My wife wants a full size Rangie...I do like how they depreciate!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porterror
Love the look of these cars, but nervous about buying a Ford-era Aston. Probably reflecting that in the price.
I researched the Vantage quite a bit and the 2009+ models when they switched to the 4.7l engine appear to be quite good, but still, don't expect to drive it every day and not have some unique issues pop up that are to be expected with hand built low volume cars. Stick with the manual also.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's still British.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRace
I researched the Vantage quite a bit and the 2009+ models when they switched to the 4.7l engine appear to be quite good, but still, don't expect to drive it every day and not have some unique issues pop up that are to be expected with hand built low volume cars. Stick with the manual also.
The biggest issue for me when looking at an AM were the maintenance costs. They are way more expensive to maintain than a 997 by a long shot. Plus, there are way fewer choices for Indy's than with a Porsche.

Still, I would put the V-12 Vanquish at the top of my list of best looking cars. It is gorgeous...
Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a 1989 Ford Expedition that we bought new. The car had what seemed to be non-stop recalls and TSBs needing service that I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Never again a Ford. I didn't really like them back in the 1960's either (except for the 427 Cobras) and we lived a block from Henry Ford II in Grosse Pointe Shores, MI.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

Saw a silver one the other day parked at a courthouse. Much too 'blingy' and gaudy for my tastes.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are comparing Ford quality from the past few years to Ford quality from 2 decades ago? The S-type and XK8 were some of the worst Jags, and mainly due to the Ford influence.

Even still, I get in a current year Mustang and just about puke with the interior materials and design. Just like Chevrolet with the Corvette, they can make a decent drivetrain, but then surround it with the a steaming pile of ****.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Happy to hear about the poor resale value, sounds like i'll be able to steal one then.

What did you think of the Corvette?
yeah, if you like the Jag, it's going to be very reasonable next year, old reputation dies hard like FORD. People are afraid of it's relability.

I like the engine noise and like the hp. It really moves, handles really well. What I don't like about it. It feels big compared to the Boxster. Interior is better than the C6 but still way below the 981/991. Interior is also very boring looking IMO. I'm starting to see a few C7's everyday so after the novelty wears off, it's just going to look like another C7. A lot of people in my neighborhood drives a C6 and it seems like everyone is trading in for a C7. I've only seen 4 Boxster around and I haven't seen a single one since I brought one. I just feel like if I brought the C7, I would probably trade it in in less than two years. Boxster is a keeper.

Originally Posted by JayRace
I was all over the place looking for a roadster, initially it was between a V8 Vantage convertible and the Boxster S, then F-type, then C7 corvette. It came down to the unexpected on the Vantage, the costly repairs, the weeks that it takes to get the parts in, and the high maintenance cost that made me took it off my list. I wanted a car that I can just gas and go.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Global Autosports
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
So you are comparing Ford quality from the past few years to Ford quality from 2 decades ago? The S-type and XK8 were some of the worst Jags, and mainly due to the Ford influence.

Even still, I get in a current year Mustang and just about puke with the interior materials and design. Just like Chevrolet with the Corvette, they can make a decent drivetrain, but then surround it with the a steaming pile of ****.
1) I'm not interested in S-Type Jags or XK8's.

2) You've never sat in a Shelby or a Boss

3) Your neighbor's V6 doesn't count.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F Type S Coupe