Sponsored by:

Jaguar F Type S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
This is one thing I don't have to worry about. Having a 997 here on the gulf coast is like having an Enzo in NY....rare. There's always that crowd, but wouldn't you agree that Jaguar has the heritage, nobody has mentioned the E-Type, wouldn't you like to own that legacy?
e-type would be pretty cool, watched a few vids recently on it, Lenos garage and Petrolicious. There was a guy down the street when I was growing up that had one in BRG, awesome stuff, he also had an old Rolls.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:01 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 754 Posts

I agree about the new ones, too me it's very mainstream looking - lost it's british identity a bit. V6 or V8 that you heard? The V8 I know sounds excellent, still haven't heard the other models but apparently the V6 S is the one to get (and I prefer the center dual exhaust).
Yeah and the new smaller one, don't recall what it's called. heard an interview with a I think a Jag exec talking about how they are trying to capture female market and younger demographic, ala 3 series and a4. Id put money on it being the v8, I passed it twice, we were both going quickly in opposite directions, noticed the R badge in the front grille, think that's the 8 only? Second time opposite directions but it was blocked by traffic, couldn't see it. Sounded like the R in the Evo videos....pretty sweet sound, combination of exhaust and an 8 I presume.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
F Type is last year's Maserati. Lots of non sports car people bought them, thinking they were buying something cool and special... another car that "sounds awesome". Then they were everywhere... EVERYWHERE. I mean I would see 4 or 5 a day in our upper middle-class suburbs. Just a year later NONE. Although at this point I personally haven't seen near the numbers of jags I did maserati...yet. Just reminds me of the same concept. A market driven by non-manual transmission, new to sports cars, "honey let's get a convertible" crowd. It's brilliant marketing! I guess where I'm coming from is if you show up to cars and coffee in one the reality of the situation becomes painfully evident. At that point at least you should be glad you didn't pay maserati money.
This. I have seen a ton already in NYC. Nice car but agreed on thr demographic it is currently htting. Also, personal preference, but I think the Aston V8 Vantage looks better (and much more expensive) and will age much better....
Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 AM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomc66
I purchased a new 2011 Corvette Convertable. Drove the car for three years and 35,000 miles. I sold the car for $14,000 less than I paid for it. This is severe depreciation?
...see previous response to similar comment.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had a 30+ year bias against the Jaguar. I know a guy who has the sedan. Traded a Maserati sedan towards it. He has had them all. Must be something positive about the Tata ownership of the company.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:35 PM
By-Tor
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

Jaguar is legendary, in the same marquee as Ferrari and Porsche.

Enzo Ferrari once said the E-Type was the most beautiful car ever built. I would say the F-Type is a worthy successor.
I love Porsches but I love Jags almost as much. Jags have something special that can't be explained with track times or performance numbers.

It's a legendary marque for sure, and the F-Type is just superb.

Another car that has got my attention lately is the XKR which sadly just went out of production. Can you put a hand on your heart and say that this car doesn't sound and look absolutely stunning?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 PM
By-Tor
Racer

And yes... the F-Type looks amazing. Best sports car design of the 2000's without a doubt.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:18 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by By-Tor
And yes... the F-Type looks amazing. Best sports car design of the 2000's without a doubt.

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2014, 01:19 AM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Well would you look at that. They both have 4 wheels.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:47 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

If I won a new F-type in Vegas, I would sell it and buy a used 997. Exhaust sounds great but it doesn't look as good as a 911
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
Well would you look at that. They both have 4 wheels.
My thoughts exactly, about as much in common as Hillary Clinton and Pamela Anderson.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
If I won a new F-type in Vegas, I would sell it and buy a used 997. Exhaust sounds great but it doesn't look as good as a 911
Well of course, very few cars look as good as a 997 - these are probably the best looking 911's ever made.

The F-Type is however much more appealing to me over a 991.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:24 AM
By-Tor
Racer

I think when the reviewers take the cars on the track and simply compare the performance numbers, they miss the whole point of a car like F-Type. You shouldn't compare a classic real wheel drive sports car to an AWD when making 0-60 tests and track performance... there just isn't enough grip to compete against AWD in the 500+ hp territory.

It's also a lot about "spirit" and the genuine sports car feel. I think this review hit the nail on the head and pointed out how fantastic cars these both are (but in different ways).

Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by By-Tor
I think when the reviewers take the cars on the track and simply compare the performance numbers, they miss the whole point of a car like F-Type. You shouldn't compare a classic real wheel drive sports car to an AWD when making 0-60 tests and track performance... there just isn't enough grip to compete against AWD in the 500+ hp territory.

It's also a lot about "spirit" and the genuine sports car feel. I think this review hit the nail on the head and pointed out how fantastic cars these both are (but in different ways).

That was a very good review of both cars. I would like to see the same comparison using a 997.2S or GTS instead of the 991S.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
F Type is last year's Maserati. Lots of non sports car people bought them, thinking they were buying something cool and special... another car that "sounds awesome". Then they were everywhere... EVERYWHERE. I mean I would see 4 or 5 a day in our upper middle-class suburbs. Just a year later NONE. Although at this point I personally haven't seen near the numbers of jags I did maserati...yet. Just reminds me of the same concept. A market driven by non-manual transmission, new to sports cars, "honey let's get a convertible" crowd. It's brilliant marketing! I guess where I'm coming from is if you show up to cars and coffee in one the reality of the situation becomes painfully evident. At that point at least you should be glad you didn't pay maserati money.
Ok, and you think NO Porsche buyer qualifies for that sort of thinking? 991 was actually clearly created for folks who buy for coolness and they've done well. There's a small enthusiast group who contribute here, and then there's the masses who literally have no clue about the ins/outs of these cars but have the cash to buy one and those make the numbers.

I actually think F-type is a fantastic car, it sounds amazing, it looks fantastic, has great performance and pretty decent handling for a GT car... it's probably the best GT-sports car on the market today.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F Type S Coupe