Jaguar F Type S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Global Autosports
Interesting to see so many low mile 2014 F-Types in your inventory.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
1) I'm not interested in S-Type Jags or XK8's.

2) You've never sat in a Shelby or a Boss

3) Your neighbor's V6 doesn't count.
Neighbors wouldn't be caught dead in a Mustang (Can't blame them)

Just because it says Shelby does not make it a world class interior. It's still a $50,000 Ford.

Seriously...

Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a great looking car. Rear deck is fab. But it's heavy and overall IMHO overdone.

Give me a 991 GT3!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Neighbors wouldn't be caught dead in a Mustang (Can't blame them)

Just because it says Shelby does not make it a world class interior. It's still a $50,000 Ford.

Seriously...

That Shelby? interior looks awful in this picture.

Mine is definitely not a world class interior by any means - my wife's Jag puts both my cars to shame in that department (who cares) but it is all business with no backseats, alacantara steering wheel / Recaro seats. No fluff. Oh and it's also 1 of 750 in the world, too exclusive for your neighbors, you can't just go in the dealer and buy it. Boss Laguna Seca check it out.

What's your collection include?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
It's a great looking car. Rear deck is fab. But it's heavy and overall IMHO overdone.

Give me a 991 GT3!
Love the 991 GT3, if it holds value like the 997's I probably won't drop that kind of money on one.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
That Shelby? interior looks awful in this picture.

Mine is definitely not a world class interior by any means - my wife's Jag puts both my cars to shame in that department (who cares) but it is all business with no backseats, alacantara steering wheel / Recaro seats. No fluff. Oh and it's also 1 of 750 in the world, too exclusive for your neighbors, you can't just go in the dealer and buy it. Boss Laguna Seca check it out.

What's your collection include?
So what, you chastise me for ragging on a Mustang interior, and I post a pic of the interior, then you come back and agree it isn't that good.

Unfortunately I am the only car guy in my small neighborhood. But my collection is Corvettes and Porsches with a Silverado as a DD.

Thanks god the Boss 302 was limited in numbers. The color combos were pretty hideous.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:19 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Very curious about the f type. Seen a number of review vids. The BRG colour looks sharp. I went for a drive last week near the local Jag dealer, somebody was out with the F, that exhaust sounds mean! I sat in one at the dealer, nice tight interior.

Think overall I prefer my 911 though haven't yet driven the F.

My Dad has had Jags since the late 80's, always had problems during the Pre Ford and Ford years. I do like the lines of the older XJs...now they are too bland with the exception of the F and XK.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde07

Unfortunately, later model Corvettes have suffered from severe depreciation which 911s have not, leading to some less than ideal owners in that community. You have to respect the 'vette, and someday I will own a C2, but I feel much classier in my 911
Not in my experience. I bought a brand new C6 in February 2007. I drove it 3 years and put 30k miles on it. I sold it for 12k less than I bought it for.

In December of 2012 I bought a 2010 997.2 a one owner car with a MSRP of $111k and 13k miles. I paid 70k for it, so 41k under MSRP.

Also, one of the local Porsche dealers had a one owner 2014 Turbo S with 16k miles recently listed for $164K, original MSRP $206k, clean carfax.

Unless you are talking about limited edition or special models like the GT3 RS
I don't think that you can say late model Porsches have better resale than late model Corvettes.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Rho-B
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I believe the same designer did the Jag and the Aston...

How Its Made Dream Cars 09of10 Jaguar F Type - YouTube
I believe you are referring to Ian Callum. If you look at the Jag DB9 from 2004 and the Jag XK from 2005 they are both his designs and they both look the same. I think he was asked about it and he said...."of course they look the same, I designed both!...."
Old 10-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by SToronto
Very curious about the f type. Seen a number of review vids. The BRG colour looks sharp. I went for a drive last week near the local Jag dealer, somebody was out with the F, that exhaust sounds mean! I sat in one at the dealer, nice tight interior.

Think overall I prefer my 911 though haven't yet driven the F.

My Dad has had Jags since the late 80's, always had problems during the Pre Ford and Ford years. I do like the lines of the older XJs...now they are too bland with the exception of the F and XK.
I agree about the new ones, too me it's very mainstream looking - lost it's british identity a bit. V6 or V8 that you heard? The V8 I know sounds excellent, still haven't heard the other models but apparently the V6 S is the one to get (and I prefer the center dual exhaust).
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

F Type is last year's Maserati. Lots of non sports car people bought them, thinking they were buying something cool and special... another car that "sounds awesome". Then they were everywhere... EVERYWHERE. I mean I would see 4 or 5 a day in our upper middle-class suburbs. Just a year later NONE. Although at this point I personally haven't seen near the numbers of jags I did maserati...yet. Just reminds me of the same concept. A market driven by non-manual transmission, new to sports cars, "honey let's get a convertible" crowd. It's brilliant marketing! I guess where I'm coming from is if you show up to cars and coffee in one the reality of the situation becomes painfully evident. At that point at least you should be glad you didn't pay maserati money.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 AM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zucc
Not in my experience. I bought a brand new C6 in February 2007. I drove it 3 years and put 30k miles on it. I sold it for 12k less than I bought it for.

In December of 2012 I bought a 2010 997.2 a one owner car with a MSRP of $111k and 13k miles. I paid 70k for it, so 41k under MSRP.

Also, one of the local Porsche dealers had a one owner 2014 Turbo S with 16k miles recently listed for $164K, original MSRP $206k, clean carfax.

Unless you are talking about limited edition or special models like the GT3 RS
I don't think that you can say late model Porsches have better resale than late model Corvettes.
I don't think it's fair to compare an early in the design cycle C6 to a late in the design cycle 997. Your C6 was the same generation as a new Corvette at the time, and your 997 now looked dated compared to the new 991.

Your 997 depreciated by 36%.

A Base C6 cost approx $45,000 in 2007, so 12k deprection equals: 26%. If you got a better deal on the car and were a shrewd seller, your depreciation from "MSRP" was likely even higher, and if the original owner of the 997 was a shrewd buyer, and you were a shrewd buyer, this would show as more than realistic depreciation. So we're not talking massive differences here.

Regardless of all that, I was moreso referring to the C4/C5 generation Corvettes vs. the contemporary Porches.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

I don't think it's fair to compare an early in the design cycle C6 to a late in the design cycle 997. Your C6 was the same generation as a new Corvette at the time, and your 997 now looked dated compared to the new 991.

Your 997 depreciated by 36%.

A Base C6 cost approx $45,000 in 2007, so 12k deprection equals: 26%. If you got a better deal on the car and were a shrewd seller, your depreciation from "MSRP" was likely even higher, and if the original owner of the 997 was a shrewd buyer, and you were a shrewd buyer, this would show as more than realistic depreciation. So we're not talking massive differences here.

Regardless of all that, I was moreso referring to the C4/C5

generation Corvettes vs. the contemporary Porches.
Regardless of past models, I would argue that if someone was considering buying a new Carerra or Carrera S vs a new base Vette or Z06, I don't see the Vettes depreciating more than the Porsches.

It would be interesting to see if someone had a current residual lease guide to compare.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:26 PM
tomc66
Instructor

Fully agree with this.

Unfortunately, later model Corvettes have suffered from severe depreciation which 911s have not, leading to some less than ideal owners in that community. You have to respect the 'vette, and someday I will own a C2, but I feel much classier in my 911
I purchased a new 2011 Corvette Convertable. Drove the car for three years and 35,000 miles. I sold the car for $14,000 less than I paid for it. This is severe depreciation?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by wheeler
F Type is last year's Maserati. Lots of non sports car people bought them, thinking they were buying something cool and special... another car that "sounds awesome". Then they were everywhere... EVERYWHERE. I mean I would see 4 or 5 a day in our upper middle-class suburbs. Just a year later NONE. Although at this point I personally haven't seen near the numbers of jags I did maserati...yet. Just reminds me of the same concept. A market driven by non-manual transmission, new to sports cars, "honey let's get a convertible" crowd. It's brilliant marketing! I guess where I'm coming from is if you show up to cars and coffee in one the reality of the situation becomes painfully evident. At that point at least you should be glad you didn't pay maserati money.
This is one thing I don't have to worry about. Having a 997 here on the gulf coast is like having an Enzo in NY....rare.

There's always that crowd, but wouldn't you agree that Jaguar has the heritage, nobody has mentioned the E-Type, wouldn't you like to own that legacy?

Quick Reply: Jaguar F Type S Coupe