Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fister Exhaust Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

This is the ratchet that made those upper muffler flange nuts come off in seconds.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150226_093942.png
Views: 1177
Size:  665.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150226_094002.png
Views: 1162
Size:  666.0 KB
Old 02-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice tip there.

I bought a 13mm ratchet wrench for the 3 nuts on the back of the bracket. Rather than snaking an extension through the header - I can get to it from the wheel well.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Completed the install.

It should be MANDATORY that you take the back wheels off. Just do one at a time. MANDATORY. What took me nearly 2 hours (getting to the 3 nuts on the back of the muffler bracket) without removing the wheels took me roughly 10 minutes with the wheel off.

Installed the mufflers and put the rear bumperback on in under an hour.

Some may note - and trying to help for future reference. If you remove the bumper and the tail lights - when you go to plug the lights back in you will (at least I did) get an error on the dash telling you to check your lights... even though they were working I was still getting the message. I turned my headlights on and the code went away. It's gone now.

That said - I now understand what was meant by "this is how the car is supposed to sound."

Barely noticable in "around town" driving - maybe a hint of something more but that's it. At RPM it sounds fantastic.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I have some 2.25" OD exhaust pipe laying around and I was thinking I could perform the Gundo Hack on the stock exhaust on my car this weekend ...

Unfortunately, it seems that my father has commandeered the family shop's 2-post (at my parents' house ...) to change the clutch on his '02 Z3M. Is it much easier on a lift, or can I put the car on jack-stands and experience similar levels of frustration trying to get the exhaust off?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you've got some nice options for working on your car. Kudos!

I pulled mine with jack stands at the same time I did my 40K service. But mine is a Gen 2 while yours is a Gen 1. I know there are some differences.

The larger pipe might be nice, but may be more of a hassle to fabricate onto the mufflers.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Beautiful A80 Supra, Wayne!

I cut my automotive teeth on early 90s Japanese performance cars. I've had my DSM since I was a high school sophomore, and I've turned every single nut and bolt on the car.

What size do you recommend for the Gundo exhaust crossover tube? I have random lengths of various-diameter exhaust tubing from some exhaust projects/repairs to family cars in the past, so hopefully I won't have to buy a length of pipe.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Oops ... I was looking (unsuccessfully) for a picture of my Fisters with Platinum ceramic coating for you. Seems I deleted it from my phone. Didn't realize the Supra picture got loaded. That is it leaving the property to make room for the .2 C4S.

This isn't the right Forum for this, but with the 6 Speed it was a great car to drive once you got past the windshield shifting right and left relative to the fenders in the twisties!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Beautiful A80 Supra, Wayne!

I cut my automotive teeth on early 90s Japanese performance cars. I've had my DSM since I was a high school sophomore, and I've turned every single nut and bolt on the car.

What size do you recommend for the Gundo exhaust crossover tube? I have random lengths of various-diameter exhaust tubing from some exhaust projects/repairs to family cars in the past, so hopefully I won't have to buy a length of pipe.
Darin (Fister) uses a pipe that is a bit smaller than the muffler pipe I found a picture to include so you can see his work. He is an artist.

You can see the exhaust needs to make two right angle turns to bypass the muffler. So at low speed (minimal back pressure) most of the exhaust takes its normal path.

I like what I've got. I use mine as a DD and for long trips with my wife. But when I do get onto the West Marin back roads I do wish it was louder.

I suspect a larger pipe would allow more bypass (you will definitely affect scavenging) and a bit more volume. I know some have done this. I haven't heard one of these.

You have the FSI mods as well (I think) and this could affect what you want to do. If I were you. I'd call Jake before I did anything. He may recommend some intake mods to maintain balance.

The best 911, outside of some GT3s, that I have heard belongs to Comanche_699. It is an absolute trip driving near him! His is a Gen 1 like yours. You may want to contact him before you make changes as well.

Good luck, and keep everyone updated on what you do.

PS: I will have my car up this weekend for a tire inspection. I could measure the bypass pipe at that time. Let me know if you would like that.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_170155.png
Views: 1020
Size:  624.2 KB
Old 02-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

I think the bypass is 2". The larger the pipe the more sound will come through.

Yes - you can drop the cans using just a jack / jackstand. You can leave the car on the ground to get the rear bumper off if you're going to go that route. I couldn't imagine leaving it on... its too easy to remove to justify working in a crapmed space... I contend it would take longer to remove the muffler with it on than without.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I just measured my Fisters. The bypass pipe is 1.75" O.D. The muffler pipes themselves are 2.25+.

This is a .2 C4S. YMMV.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:52 PM
energetik9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Can't wait to hear it. I ordered a set of fister mufflers for my 997.2. Had them on my 996. The quality of the welds is second to none. I didn't want to trust a local shop to "hack" my mufflers.
OK, so I realize I'm going to be that guy. Sorry. Haven't heard of this before. Is this a muffler delete? I have a 997.2 also, what have you noticed from the install? How does it sound compared to stock?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

No - its not a delete at all. Its a bypass from one pipe to another. Under low exhaust pressure - it sounds "about" the same... noticable but not obrtusive. Under higher pressures - above 4K the sound is fantastic.

This mod accomplishes what the PSE does - only without the on/off switch.

The sound is intoxicating.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by energetik9

OK, so I realize I'm going to be that guy. Sorry. Haven't heard of this before. Is this a muffler delete? I have a 997.2 also, what have you noticed from the install? How does it sound compared to stock?
Refer to the picture in my earlier response. You can see the extra pipe that has been added.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
FWIW, I just measured my Fisters. The bypass pipe is 1.75" O.D. The muffler pipes themselves are 2.25+.

This is a .2 C4S. YMMV.
Thank you so much for getting that measurement!

The 2.25" OD pipe did seem too big. I wasn't able to Gundo hack my exhaust this weekend (two of my friends had their 30th birthday parties this weekend), but at least I can get a proper bypass pipe for the hack.

Or I could just delete the mufflers altogether and run a muffler bypass pipe ...
Old 03-03-2015, 12:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by energetik9
Do a center muffler delete to get better/louder sound for your car. I installed the Sharkwerks pipes to replace my center muffler and then I had PSE installed. If you get your stock mufflers modified or not, either way I recomend the center muffler delete. We don't need 3 mufflers on our 997.2 cars.

Quick Reply: Fister Exhaust Install