Sponsored by:

993 to 997.1 drying engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:16 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 to 997.1 drying engines?

I am selling my 993 and want to move on to a 997.1. My friend had his 993 serviced and I drove him to the indie shop to pick up his car.

While there I noticed two 997.1 with their engines being replaced. I asked the owner/mechanic and he said the engines had been "dried". I dont know under what circumstances and if these were under high G track conditions. They weren't dedicated track cars.

Now I'm really worried and maybe I'll wait maybe five years until I can afford a 991.2 as they are commanding crazy premiums right now.

Am I being silly and these are isolated cases? I know the .1 has the "almost dry sump". I'm not going to track the car just enjoy on the street.

Howard
1997 911
Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you are crazy with replacing a collectable 993 with any 997.x
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Are you sure the mechanic didn't say "fried" instead?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by plymouthcolt
Now I'm really worried and maybe I'll wait maybe five years until I can afford a 991.2 as they are commanding crazy premiums right now.
Why not pick up a 997.2?

I'd take a .2 over a .1 if I were you.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I would pick up 997.1 gt3 car at this point. imho it is a best bang per buck and it comes with a proper motor. but i think all good ones already changed owners after folks switched to 997.2 gt3 and rs cars and this maret is not very active now. still, a price point of 997.1 gt3 is pretty good for what that car is.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTParks
+1
Old 06-26-2014, 03:14 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Originally Posted by PTParks
I thought so too but he correted me and said dried. Due to excessive G the engine didn't receive sufficient oil and was damaged.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:17 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ray S
Why not pick up a 997.2?

I'd take a .2 over a .1 if I were you.
The .2 prices are holding up pretty well and I would be able to get one but have no money left for any contingencies.

I did look for .1 Gt3 but that market is real small. The ones available are 5,000 cars with high prices.

Howard
Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought so too but he correted me and said dried. Due to excessive G the engine didn't receive sufficient oil and was damaged.
That has to be the strangest terminology Ive heard. It would have made sense if he had said starved instead of dried. If I heard that I would have thought some seal went bad due to it sitting in a garage forever.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The .2 prices are holding up pretty well and I would be able to get one but have no money left for any contingencies.

I did look for .1 Gt3 but that market is real small. The ones available are 5,000 cars with high prices.

Howard
A .1 997 GT3 is going to run you a lot more than a .2 997 based on the prices I've seen. If you can hold out for a bit, 997.2 prices will probably drop some as summer stretches out. If you can't wait, I'd consider dipping into you continency fund a little for a car with the newer DI motor. Another option would be to pick up a .2 base car as it only has a 15hp deficit over the .1 "S" and would still be a large performance jump vs your existing 993.

Just my $.02. In fairness to the .1 owners I know many feel the engine woes are overblown and that Porsche fixed many of the issues 996 owners saw. I'm not convinced.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You dry an engine by converting it to true dry sump.

The implication being that high G's contribute to oil starvation in the non-dry sump engines.

So, he wasn't saying "Hey, we rebuilt these once oil-starved engines and went ahead and converted them to true dry sumps as well". Sounds like he was saying, "We converted these to true dry sumps".

If you are installing a rebuilt engine, I assure you that you will say "These cars had their engines rebuilt." REALLY. That is what you'd say 99.99% of the time. Rebuilding an engine is a BIG f-in deal. You call the engine a rebuilt engine. If you did a conversion on it, and that is all you did, you call THAT out. "These cars had their engines dried" = "I'm the guy to go to for this; you want it done; I can convey how cool I am at doing it by saying, 'these cars had their engines dried'."

Best of my knowledge: 997.1 not a true dry sump. Some dry sump advantages, but not an all out dry sump setup.

I think I have a headache now.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

"integrated dry-sump...."

lulz.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Philster
You dry an engine by converting it to true dry sump.

The implication being that high G's contribute to oil starvation in the non-dry sump engines.

So, he wasn't saying "Hey, we rebuilt these once oil-starved engines and went ahead and converted them to true dry sumps as well". Sounds like he was saying, "We converted these to true dry sumps".

If you are installing a rebuilt engine, I assure you that you will say "These cars had their engines rebuilt." REALLY. That is what you'd say 99.99% of the time. Rebuilding an engine is a BIG f-in deal. You call the engine a rebuilt engine. If you did a conversion on it, and that is all you did, you call THAT out. "These cars had their engines dried" = "I'm the guy to go to for this; you want it done; I can convey how cool I am at doing it by saying, 'these cars had their engines dried'."

Best of my knowledge: 997.1 not a true dry sump. Some dry sump advantages, but not an all out dry sump setup.

I think I have a headache now.

Still seems strange to me. Ive known a lot of cars that used an aftermarket dry sump setup and never once heard someone refer to them as 'dried'. Anyway, its semantics at this point.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I would pick up 997.1 gt3 car at this point. imho it is a best bang per buck and it comes with a proper motor. but i think all good ones already changed owners after folks switched to 997.2 gt3 and rs cars and this maret is not very active now. still, a price point of 997.1 gt3 is pretty good for what that car is.
that's what I did

the famed, tried and true Mezger - FTW!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Right, that may happen if it goes to track with stock oil pan. In the corner oil goes away from pickup and at 7500 rpm it does not take long for motor to die with no oil.

Quick Reply: 993 to 997.1 drying engines?