PPI results at OPC - your ideas please

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:18 AM
martinx
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI results at OPC - your ideas please

Hello,
I was searching for the right 911 for long time... Finally I have found 997.1 year 2007, Carrera 4 with only about 22.000 miles. Looks pretty like new... interior and exterior looks great only small scratches and few stone chips.

I'd like to know your opinion about PPI results (111 checklist) I've had done at local OPC...

There are some issues they found - do you think they are of importance and how do you think it goes along with the price - 32.000 EUR?

Slight oil leak somewhere between motor and transmission (the word is that it is common problem among 997, I dont know)
Wheel geometry is slightly off (does not go straight and front wheels are more worn on innner sides by 2 mm)
Wheel steering connecting rods backlash
Slight cooling liquid leak from AC cooler (and lowered ability to cool, but still working)
Clutch pedal takes in higher position

The main problem (in OPC eyes, because they can't offer warranty due to this) they found over-revs (I have full DME scan):

Number of ignitions at speed > maximum speed, range 1
Number of ignitions at speed > maximum speed, range 2
Number of ignitions at speed > maximum speed, range 3

Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 1
747.300 h
Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 2
694.900 h
Operating hours counter reading at overspeed, range 3
285.800 h

Operating hours counter 749.200 h

(There were no over-revs in 4,5 or 6 range)

I'm looking forward to your opinions about whether to buy it or not for 32.000 EUR...
Thanks alot !
Martin
Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

For a car with 22000 miles, it seems to have a lot of wear and tear. The oil leak between engine and transmission could be the RMS, known problem and relatively easy to fix, but still in the order of $1000 US. here in the States - or it could be a leaking IMS, which would be much more serious on any 997. The engine and transmission need to be separated to tell which it is. The worn clutch, off-center steering, and the over-revs (which I don't think are that serious, by the way) all indicate a car that has been used hard. I would pass and look for a better example.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

I agree with the above. This car shouldn't have these many problems with only 22 k miles. I would only buy it for a discounted price.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:11 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

The general consensus I've seen on the over revs is that those numbers are fine and not unusual. I think you can get those numbers just from bumping red-line. They don't look like bad downshifts to me.

Sounds like a really thorough PPI, I don't know how many things this guy would find with any car.

The other things are up to you, but here are a couple of questions to ask. Is the wheel geometry problem just due to an alignment being needed or is it some damage beyond that (maybe indicated by the steering backlash)? Is the AC leak a simple fix like tightening a hose, or something much more expensive? Is the clutch observation due to a worn clutch that needs replacement soon or just an adjustment oddity? (If replacement needed, at only 22k miles, that would cinch it for me that the car was driven quite aggressively and likely badly).
Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 PM
thekubiaks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The over rev numbers look fine but that is kind of strange wear for 22K??? It appears that someone drove it pretty hard. I'd pass unless you can get it for ~40K$ (IMHO)
Old 06-12-2014, 01:06 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Over Revs are OK. Focus on the steering and alignment issues. Perhaps get a quote for how much it would cost to correct and subtract from the price if you still want the car. Also subtract the price of the RMS replacement. Does the car have any service records? Those can help to assess how much work the car had required in the past.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a few of you guys need to know more about these issues.
rear main seal is what is leaking. Replace that clutch and probably a flywheel at the same time. That's at least $3,000. The overrevs are not fine. Stage 1 is fine. Stage 2 is okay and from there it gets worse. If you bury the throttle until you're bouncing off the rev limiter that's a stage 1. Stage 2 -6 can ONLY be done by a missed shift. Somebody has driven it hard and mechanically over revved the engine. Is there real damage? No way to really know. Stage 3 isn't the worst I've seen however it's not good.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also there is no reason to worry about an alignment unless it won't come into spec. That's simple maintenance and should not put off a purchase.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 81911
If you bury the throttle until you're bouncing off the rev limiter that's a stage 1. Stage 2 -6 can ONLY be done by a missed shift.
You can get stage 2 bouncing off the rev limiter through hard acceleration. It doesn't need to be a bad downshift. I know this from experience - Durametric scans before and after hitting the rev limiter without changing gears. Stage 3 was probably a wrong downshift but it happened a long time ago.

OP - your DME numbers are fine, low even. Ranges 1 & 2 usually are fine for the CPO process. 8 ignitions in Range 3 over 500 hours ago is nothing to worry about too. Different story if it were recent.

The RMS seal leak is fairly common for this age. Do not confuse this with the RMS bearing issues from the early 997.1's - this is different. The seal will eventually need to be fixed. As said above, have it done at the same time as the clutch/flywheel work. You are probably within 10K-20K miles of a new clutch anyway.

Also agree on the alignment. Have the steering linkages checked to make sure the play is normal then alignment. If it comes into spec, no worries.

I'd negotiate down for a clutch and RMS seal repair at a minimum, plus more for the AC leak and steering linkage repairs. The rest is just part of buying a used car.

Quick Reply: PPI results at OPC - your ideas please