Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Accidentally cut off a truck the other night. It was raining really hard. I had two rear tires inside my car. One in the back seat blocking my rear view, one on the passenger seat, blocking my side view and mirror. I clenched my butt cheeks and looked out over my shoulder above my load. Nothing that I could see, going 10 over the limit, I slowly merged over to the right, turn signals a flashing. Unaware of a lifted approaching monster truck going 40 above the limit in the teaming rain. Perhaps it was his smoked out headlights in the rain that made him invisible, like a ninja. So instead of slowing down, he proceeded to pull over onto the right shoulder and pass me there. The left lane was fully clear, he did have that option. Yes I was in the wrong. He then rolled down his window, and flipped me the bird, and then tossed his milk shake at me.
Hmmm, KLASSY guy. The six inch smoke stack through the middle of the pickup bed said it all.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Relax about the pick up truck drivers, they are just protecting you. Keeping the spot behind you free from anyone who would tail gate ya.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:16 AM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in Atlanta. Nobody seems to act differently when I'm driving my Porsche. Jerk drivers will always be jerks, pickup trucks and mustangs will always cut you, doesn't matter if what you drive.

I saw another 997 driver on the highway this past Saturday. I think he had a 997.1 Targa 4S. When I pulled up next to him, apparently he didn't bother to wave or even look. And when I passed him, he apparently floored it and passed me again, and then slowed down. I was just cruising 75mph all along. No idea if he was trying to prove something, but I guess not all 911 owners share the love
Old 05-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

I get this stuff every now and then, but not often. I had a couple of teenagers in a Subaru WRX try to race me the other night on I-70. I didn't oblige them.

The most common issue that I face in my C4S is as follows:

I'm driving on the interstate in the middle lane (we have a left lane law in Colorado, but don't get me started on that one...) and I begin closing on the car ahead of me, also in the middle lane. It doesn't really matter what kind of car it is, but usually they seem to be SUVs. Typically, they are going just below the speed limit. I move to the left lane to pass them. I stopped using my radar detector every day, so I don't typically cruise more than 5 - 10 mph over the limit. As I begin to pass the car, they speed up. If I speed up, they will match it, or even speed up more. Sometimes they'll get up to 15 or 20 mph above the speed limit. Eventually, they brake hard and go back to their original speed, and I move into the middle lane ahead of them. It's sort of a "passive aggressive" thing. It happens all the time.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:31 AM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redline911
Never thought I would be considered "The Man"

Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This is not a criticism of anyone's experience. I think they are all valid. But I also think it might be possible in some cases that (Porsche) people, in general, are more sensitive to real or perceived "hatred" when driving what others think is a car that costs as much as perhaps their house. That aside, when and where "hatred" (in whatever form that may be) takes place, I wonder if the Income Gap is not partly responsible. The logic (however incorrect) being, you drive a Porsche so you are the 1 percent and your wealth is all due to taking advantage of working people. Perhaps in your Carrera you (the collective you) are thought of as The Man and deserving of spite and retribution.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Bigwave
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passive aggressive tactics and class warfare "hate the rich" mentality that has ballooned over the last few years are real issues. There has always been this type of person in the mix but it seems to be more widely accepted and even encouraged. I don't mind the kid wanting to race and I don't fuel them or try to block them I even will let off the gas to allow them a larger window to pass and merge. We were young once. It's when someone deliberately cuts you off or blocks you from a merge that kills me. The rules to the road and drivers etiquette have gone out the window.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:12 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

I've gotten all of the above (and more) however all of the negative is irrelevant when you see a kid smile and say to their parent "look at that car" , or when a local sitting in front of the Lagunitas Market hears me coming down Sir Francis Drake and runs out into the street and gives me the hammer!

I often oblige with a quick downshift into 2nd and I head blissfully into the redwoods with a big stupid smile on my face and 20 more miles of twisties before I reach home.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM
gerhard951
Advanced

That 1percent comment is funny...I work for the state but have had a P car since I started working 23 years ago....furthest thing from the man...but I guess in their mind they all cost 100k....on the other comments about racing...my wife hated driving the 996 turbo cause every moron and their mother tried to pull up side her and race...ok...was it because she is female driving a 450 hp all wheel drive car that somehow their manhood gets threatened??? Most people just give thumbs up to the GTS
Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM
gerhard951
Advanced

I do find the Pano drivers to be a bit "aloof"
Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" George Carlin
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (05-14-2024)
Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 227 Posts

I fully agree with the 1 percent comments. I receive the hate at work and in the neighbourhood yet those who criticise don't know how much hard work and saving I put into having a nice car.

Trust me...
Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by gerhard951
I do find the Pano drivers to be a bit "aloof"
Some of them dont even know what all the Porsches look like or that there is a Porsche Club. Some just buy for status and exclusivity.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:03 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

A couple of stories from both haters and lovers...

I was leaving a grass car park at a dragster meeting trying to merge into the main flow of traffic and a guy in a big truck let me in. He said it was because I was driving a Porsche

I was leaving the cinema in multistory car park with the girlfriend and as I drove past a guy walking to his car he shouted from my passenger side "Small dick ". I don't know how he knew, maybe his mother told him, but I found it very funny as it was obviously intended as an insult but I took it as a jealous complement.

John
Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
... I wonder if the Income Gap is not partly responsible. The logic (however incorrect) being, you drive a Porsche so you are the 1 percent and your wealth is all due to taking advantage of working people. Perhaps in your Carrera you (the collective you) are thought of as The Man and deserving of spite and retribution.
It used to be that Americans did not envy their rich neighbors, as they knew it was up to them to do well (and still is). Today, however, the narrative from the top is that the 'rich' do not deserve their wealth, and all must have an equal outcome. It's that narrative that is corroding society even if when tried elsewhere it led to no good for all.

Quick Reply: Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?