Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 AM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I've been pretty lucky in the Ozarks region. Only mostly positive experiences with only a few negative ones.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

I've experienced this too, my car is good weather driver...so maybe it's particularly noticeable as I'm out for the drive and nothing else. These days I'm noticing any "sport" version of a lesser vehicle tries to show off or beat you to whatever is ahead, I'm not trying to sound like I have a superior car....perhaps I should say less capable cars. I also notice people going out of their way to drive next to or behind you. There are also some people who give you tons of space on the highway which is nice.

A funny one last season was a Purolator courier truck on the highway, I was coming down the on ramp, he started accelerating and wasn't going to let me merge until he couldn't go fast enough to stop me which wasn't long, I didn't intend on racing down the merge lane.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 AM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe

I also have a 2001 BMW M Coupe and that car is a ***** magnet. Every other road user and BMW driver especially wants to drive up your backside.
great car! i miss mine dearly, but just no room for another sportscar, especially a 2 seater

Old 05-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
Never experienced any of this. Usually the opposite of jealousy. Many thumbs up or outright comments like " love your car" or " beautiful car ".
same here. People pulling next to me and yelling out their window "nice car"
Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 AM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

What I get the most is people intentionally trying to block me. It only happens in the Porsche so I know it is nothing I'm doing. Judging by their bumper stickers I'm going to have to guess it is somehow Bush's fault.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:45 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Last spring, I was driving from DC back to Jersey after the cherry blossom festival on a saturday night. There was this annoying ***** in his mom's civic with a chimney pipe for an exhaust trying really hard to drive into my tail lights! The worst part was that this idiot had a $40 HID kit that lit up the sky like a battlefield, let alone my car. This was on the turnpike, I tried everything from speeding up to slowing down, right to pulling over after a tollbooth and letting him pass, but he wouldn't. Traffic got a bit heavier and I somehow managed to get alongside him, and had to literally yell at him to get him off my tail!

That said, I've enjoyed several P-car caravans - totally love that sense of camaraderie. Its happened with camaros and mustangs as well. In one instance, a camaro driver even warned me about a cop ahead. Passers by have always complemented the car, and there are those others that go "I bet my camry gives better MPG" => I don't think any of us bought this car for MPG!

What I'm trying to say is - there are all kinds of people out there. I would ensure safety first, then try my best not to let the ****** get into my head. I've got nothing to prove to a teen driving a civic
Old 05-06-2014, 03:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandS52
I noticed this more on the mainland (CA and NV) than here in Hawaii. Pickup truck drivers seem especially aggressive toward the 911, riding bumpers etc...here in Hawaii I don't see as much of that, but it can sometimes be harder to merge or change lanes. Folks seem less receptive to yielding to the "rich guy".
No doubt about that. One of them parked his 3' off the ground front bumper just below my rear window. About 5K worth of damage. I move out of their way when they approach from behind, especially when they close in at a good clip. A disproportionate number of them seem like angry ****** with short fuses that are best left to their own destiny (imo).
Old 05-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In Phoenix everyone is a self-centered ******* regardless of what you drive.
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (05-14-2024)
Old 05-06-2014, 03:54 AM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

enjoy safely. there are lots of crazy drivers with road rage out there.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
In Phoenix everyone is a self-centered ******* regardless of what you drive.
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone in my corner of VA treat me different because I'm in a Porsche, and I've never gotten any angry looks or road rage from someone I didn't have to make an aggressive move to pass (the feeling is usually mutial- **** people that can't accelerate, and people that drive slow in the left lane!). I get far more compliments at stoplights and parking lots when my car is clean and shiny than if it's not, though.

Those of you who get the negative comments: does your car look "driven", or like it's just left a concours? Anecdotally, that seems to make a big difference in perception.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience was generally the opposite when I had my red 993 car, which I called "Moses". When I pulled behind someone in that, traffic parted like the Red Sea. But I will say, people with lesser cars will obviously try things that can be marginal for the make and model. Unfortunately, as HP increases in newer cars, there may be lots of temptation out there to see what the power can do.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd also say people are even ruder when driving Panamera. They don't let you merge into traffic and treat you like a jerk. Maybe it's a Jersey thing
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

I've had a person in a horse truck sit across both lanes when the road was free on the opposite lane to prevent me from passing. Kept on it for about 20 mins. I didn't let it get to me too much, but I was angry by the time I got an opportunity to pass, and rightly so.

Had plenty of waves from other keen motorists and often get warnings for police ahead.

I think in general seeing or discussing the car elicits a negative response, especially from women. Someone asked recently if my car was a talking point, my response was "yes, if you're talking to kids or old men".
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (05-14-2024)
Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I get the occasional slammed Japanese car with a big rear wing and loud muffler wanting to race me. Sometimes I get the pickup truck that needs to stop behind me at the light with about 12 inches distance from my rear bumper. Otherwise, not too many challenging incidents.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM
BAD911S
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problems with idiots at all. Almost always get a thumbs up. I find there are 2 kinds of people on the road. Those who own Porsches, and those that want to own Porsches.

Quick Reply: Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?