PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up, love the detail!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

USMC DS01, are the settings easy to do? I'd like to install right away to the same as the B&M short throw spec. Said another way, does numeric provide specific guidance on setting to ssk/BM short throw specs. Sorry if you covered this already.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

cvtbenhogan, the 3 throw positions are very easy to change after installation. You only need to remove the leather shifter boot to access the shift rod to make the adjustments. All you'll need is a 3mm Allen wrench to remove the two set screws and then lock them back down after selecting the throw height you prefer. https://rennlist.com/forums/11221617-post5.html

FWIW, the Numeric in the mid-length throw feels close to the B&M throw but not as short so you'll want to adjust it to the shortest throw position to be inline with the B&M I suspect.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
JKW and JB, would you happen to know which position your shifter is set for(shortest, mid-length, or tallest)? thoughts on how the shifter operates at that setting? TIA
I kinda did the same as you and selected the middle position and figured I could lengthen or shorten the action as needed. However, I doubt I'll adjust it since I am very satisfied with the balance of feel, amount of effort & travel.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed my Numeric shifter today would like to thank USMC for his tutorial as I used some of his and some of Numerics web site tutorial...anyway, most definitely a worthwhile mod. I have mine set in the mid position and I cannot imagine changing it for any reason to the lowest or shortest position. Mechanical, accurate and direct is my description of it and I am running the stock shift cables. I have a set of GT3 RS cables but I think I will run with stock for now as it really feels slick as is (and I have a nice spare just in case). Took me about 3hrs and that includes time wasted trying to fish the Ipod/USB connections fwd. and through their intended hole as I forgot to route them when the console was off...I had everything fastened back up when I discovered this gem and was not going to go down without a fight! Ok...out to enjoy the newness!!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Glad the write up was helpful Swoody. That Numeric must be sweet in that GTS. Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

HOW this could help with the shifting into 1st? I thought that's a synchro being of different material issue not shifter itself?

Also, HOW can you easily adjust this? OEM Porsche has a guide to make it adjust perfectly, with this I am not sure how did you do the adjustment? Seemed like you kinda did it by feel.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 AM
JB993
Instructor

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
JKW and JB, would you happen to know which position your shifter is set for(shortest, mid-length, or tallest)? thoughts on how the shifter operates at that setting? TIA
I had the shifter in the middle position, but shifting to second felt a little forced ,especially if shifting quickly..like the synchro cannot keep up.
I moved it to the lowest hole and it feels less forced....still much improved vs stock imo. Smooth shift with positive endpoint...a bit like my Miata (different league though,apart from an S 2000, arguably one of the best shifters in a production car)
Great design and very easy to move the shift lever up and down by just lifting the shift boot.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
HOW this could help with the shifting into 1st? I thought that's a synchro being of different material issue not shifter itself?
Yes... I am surprised by this as well. Don't know how it works exactly but I am glad the 1st gear issue has been eliminated. Speculating here but I believe it has to do with a combination of various factors - synchros, how worn your 1st and 2nd gears are, the shifter throw leverage/height and alignment, flex/give in the shifter assembly, and possibly the geometry of the shifter itself.

Also, HOW can you easily adjust this? OEM Porsche has a guide to make it adjust perfectly, with this I am not sure how did you do the adjustment? Seemed like you kinda did it by feel.
With the Numeric we're adjusting/selecting the height of the shift lever/rod... there are 3 positions or holes in the shift rod to chose from which affect how high or low the shift rod is positioned within the frame. The lowest height = shortest throw = requires more muscle to shift gears. The highest height = longest throw = requires less muscle to shift gears. BTW this is explained and illustrated in the write-up.

In comparison the Porsche stock shifter does not have the option to select different shifter heights. Here's a pic of the Porsche shift rod next to the Numeric shift rod with three holes.
Name:  P1030036.JPG
Views: 15634
Size:  108.0 KB

The Porsche guide (alignment) tool for the Porsche shifter centers the shift rod straight up. You then adjust the length of the shifter cable accordingly to align the shift cables to meet up with the shift rod. Per the write-up we accomplish the same by just placing the shifter in neutral, marking the cables, and assembling the Numeric shifter accordingly. Worst case you can just eyeball centering the shifter rod straight up and then adjust the shifter cable length accordingly. Hope that helps.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 03-19-2014 at 01:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
msequence (10-10-2020)
Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 AM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Thanks for the awesome installation write up and review. I've been wondering if the Numeric SSK was worth it on its own, or whether you needed the Numeric cables as well. Not so sure I'd be comfortable DIYing the cables too, but pretty confident I could do the shifter at least now thanks to your write up.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Setting the shifter location is not too difficult and not having a ssk plastice guide is no biggie. The threaded guides can be easily adjusted until the shifter is in the right place. One thread adjusts side to side position and the other adjusts fore and aft. The thing is the threads do little to change shifting feel or accuracy. Again these mainly position the ****. I tested this out over 2 day with the boot off

The problem with the BM is it uses a ball to fit into a square slot where the stock setup uses a box fitting that slides perfectly in the square slot. The ball and fitting located left of the **** and I suspect accuracy is lost on the left side shift movements. I had no issues getting into first with the stock shifter.s
Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with all the reviews in this post the Numeric is a vast improvement over the stock and even the B&M SSK. This photo is my 996 (but I installed 997 **** so it’s cool to post in this forum, right?!).

The Numeric is crisp and precise. When I picked up my 996, I was disappointed in the shift quality compared to the (stock) 997. I thought it was notchy and somewhat stiff. A week latter I came ot find it wasn’t the stock 996 but a B&M I was unhappy with so I immediately ordered a numeric after driving an instructors car with one last summer.

It’s such a good looking piece of mechanics, I’, leaving my shift console off. Numeric also sells risers (ala Cup cars) for installations without consoles which I may give a try to get the shifter higher as this car is a primary track car.

Name:  Numeric1_zps5c5dff6b.jpg
Views: 15757
Size:  297.7 KB
Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spinout
I agree with all the reviews in this post the Numeric is a vast improvement over the stock and even the B&M SSK. This photo is my 996 (but I installed 997 **** so it’s cool to post in this forum, right?!).

The Numeric is crisp and precise. When I picked up my 996, I was disappointed in the shift quality compared to the (stock) 997. I thought it was notchy and somewhat stiff. A week latter I came ot find it wasn’t the stock 996 but a B&M I was unhappy with so I immediately ordered a numeric after driving an instructors car with one last summer.

It’s such a good looking piece of mechanics, I’, leaving my shift console off. Numeric also sells risers (ala Cup cars) for installations without consoles which I may give a try to get the shifter higher as this car is a primary track car.

Great to see it open/exposed like that... I initially struggled a bit with covering my Numeric shifter. My wife saw it differently... only time I've known her to insist that we cover up jewelry.

I notice that you have the shifter in the mid-position. Have you tried the lowest or highest position as well and any thoughts on function/feel of the shifter in those settings.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 03-19-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:18 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thx for the great write-up !!
The following users liked this post:
srproductions (02-29-2020)
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Lance-AR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently added the numeric to my 997.1 set on the lowest setting. I didn't cut the carpet and now you've got me wondering what the carpet beneath looks like. One thing though, with it on the lowest setting, there's no way to loosen the hex bolts to adjust the throw without taking the console back off.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter Review and Installation - Part 1 of 5