carbonGT
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice car...congrats
Old 05-03-2014, 02:10 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a 2011 PCNA CPO GTS from a schooner sailor (I'm being polite...I could have referred to him as a pre-owned Porsche owner...but isn't a pre-owned owner that sells his/her car, now a "dis-owned"? Do YOU want to be known for ever more as: dis-owned? I didn't think so.).

The car is, to save words: the cat's meow. Terrific looks and quality. The real judge: all of our neighbors have stopped talking to us. Feeling lonely.

It's PDK and that is great, very flexible, shifts to "7" by about 35 mph while in D. Bought this for my squeeze...she can put it in D and go. After 5 days: woulda, coulda, shoulda...would love to have the manual gearbox.

Went to my "go to" high-end wheel shop today to ask about center-lock wheels. They can't do them. My car will need front tires in a couple thou miles, therefore an issue. Pilot Sport Porsche spec fronts: $380 at the dealer; $335 independently. Stay tuned....
Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Smile Defending the Dis-owned

Have to mention something. The schooner sailor did in fact extract from me a "first refusal" offer to buy the car when/if I decide or need to sell. Good move. Eye contact hand shakes still mean something to those of us that precede the I-Phone generation. In fact: they mean a lot, if not everything. FF's car is incredibly beautiful and well-looked after. I'm blessed. Even as a reluctant seller: he was a gentleman of the first order. To repeat: I'm blessed.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
Have to mention something. The schooner sailor did in fact extract from me a "first refusal" offer to buy the car when/if I decide or need to sell. Good move. Eye contact hand shakes still mean something to those of us that precede the I-Phone generation. In fact: they mean a lot, if not everything. FF's car is incredibly beautiful and well-looked after. I'm blessed. Even as a reluctant seller: he was a gentleman of the first order. To repeat: I'm blessed.
It's good that you did a second post... I wasn't sure from the tone of the first one what your point was about the prior owner. It almost made you sound like a grumpy old guy.

Is this your first 911? If so it seems that you've done a great job making your first pick. Be sure to post some pictures on a clean thread, it seems to be a right of passage here.

Are you planning on getting the center lock removal tools yourself? I hear they are pricey and challenging to use, but it seems like it would be nice to have. Would the wheel shop use them if you provided them for your work, or are they just plain anti-centerlock (possibly due to their lawyers requiring them to use their own approved torque devices or something)?

Also keep in mind, many Porsche dealerships will match prices from other reputable sources (for the tires at least). It wouldn't hurt to ask and you can expect the dealership to have all the right tools and experience to do these wheels correctly. That experience alone would be worth it to me to pay some reasonable premium. Centerlocks are beautiful things, I'd hate to mess one up.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Not my first. The '79 911 SC I had back in the mid-80s is still in the garage of my BinL who lives in Tomball..."near you," in Texas terms. I'm also blessed with an '85 Euro 911 Carrera that's just about to turn 67000 miles; India Red w/full tan leather. I'm its second owner from new. When it comes to 911s - to repeat - I'm blessed. Will keep the tire comment in mind. In the near term I'm planning to use the dealer for just about everything. No way do I want to mess up my warranty! I'll put up some pictures one of these days.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:03 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Would have preferred the 997.2 gts..that just me.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Given that our GTS is a 2011 - isn't that what we have??
Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given that our GTS is a 2011 - isn't that what we have??
I think he was referring to the OP's original post.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:50 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...PDK and that is great, very flexible, shifts to "7" by about 35 mph while in D....
Once the oil is fully warmed (175-225), get that thing out of D into M, and hit the sport or sport plus button and hit the go peddle and work those paddles. I suspect you'll find yourself very engaged.

I'm looking forward to your "new to me GTS" thread with pics

Old 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM
One911
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems to not meet your track criteria but congrats !
Old 05-04-2014, 03:50 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by strandolph
Okay, here she is. 7000 mile 2013 991 C2 Anthracite Brown Metallic with Sand Beige interior. It's fairly stock. Multifunction wheel, PDK, comfort package, and really basic 1/2 hood, fenders, and mirrors clear bra. For reference, I paid $78K. As a commuter, so far, it's perfect. Fast, comfortable, forgiving, and it controls my iPhone with the multifunction display on the gauge cluster
Congrats. PDK but no SC?

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice 997.2 or GTS