Sponsored by:

Purchase Advice 997.2 or GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:13 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purchase Advice 997.2 or GTS

Hi, new guy here hoping for some purchase advice from the experienced. First, the things that are already decided:

1. Model year 2011 or 2012. I like to think that Porsche has tweaked the 997 for the better over time and I'm getting the most improved end of the model. And I want some warranty.

2. Needs to be an S car. With Sports Chrono and PASM. I've raced a well-prepped 944 for many years and appreciate a tighter more aggressive street car. And I don't see any reason why not.

3. Under 10K miles. There seem to be a number of lower mileage cars available and I think it's worth the premium. Though I would compromise this for the right combination of other desirable features.

4. I don't think I have to pay more than $90K. Again, subject to compromise.

5. Has to have PDK. I want to experience a DCT and will be commuting in DC traffic. If I don't like it I can always sell the car and get a manual.

Things that aren't decided. Help!

6. GTS or not? The GTS has all of the sportier options that I want. But will the ride be overly harsh? I guess I'm more worried about longer trips and passenger comfort. And I really like the idea of a Targa. If I didn't get a GTS, I'd be looking for a Targa.

7. Two or four wheel drive? Is there an overwhelming reason to add the weight of the 4? I do like the body of the 4S a lot. Another argument for the GTS 2...

Things that are desirable:

8. CPO

9. Seat vent and heat, Bose, Sat radio, flappy paddles

10. Full clear bra.

11. PCCB. Seems to be really rare.

12. What else should I be looking for?

I've been using Autotrader, EBay, cars.com, cargurus, and autotempest to search. What other resources should I be trying?

PPI, carfax. What else? DME dump? How important is independent evaluation when the car is under warranty? Especially if it's CPO'd.

Damn, now that I write that all down, I have more questions than answers! Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 215 Posts

Hmmm,

Based on what you write you seem to be more into comfort that racing.
First rule of thumb: will you go on the track regularly, them take the GTS, otherwise don't
I wish I could have been able to afford a GTS, but then I'd have to deal with the center lock wheels which are a major pain in the neck on the track.
About the Targa: I initially wanted a Targa but then got a 997.2 C4S (no Targa)
I realized that the Targa is nothing but a glorified larger sunroof. Based on the construction of the Traga roof, I guess that I should call my BMW X3 (my daily driver) a "Targa" based on the big panoramic roof that I never open ;-)
So if you're into all the sun you'll get get the Targa otherwise not.
Now to the C4S: will you be driving the car in the snow then get the C4S
But quite honestly I got the C4S for its wide hips and hips don't lie

I think $90k should be more than enough to buy whatever 997.2 you want to buy
Old 01-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

That's an easy choice GTS all the way.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan to track more than a couple of times a year, don't get a car with CL wheels. 4WD helps when zooming around in traffic and in winter (I never got stuck in my Targa 4S no matter what the weather). 2WD is a slightly better toy for the track and twisty back roads. The Targa roof is a great feature and the hatchback is useful but the car doesn't feel quite as solid as the coupes. For 90k you can get a 991S which is a much improved platform overall.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:59 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTS all the way. Awesome looks, and full package. White or silver with black wheels, all set!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 AM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Based on what you write you seem to be more into comfort that racing.
With this car, no doubt. I will definitely track this car, but just a few times a year. I couldn't really own it without being able to drive it on a track. But, only because I want to know how the car performs at limits, not because it's my only track car. I should investigate the center lock issues a little more, thanks. I don't mind buying some tools if that's all it takes.
I realized that the Targa is nothing but a glorified larger sunroof.
Thanks for that observation. I'm not that wedded to the Targa concept so maybe I should reconsider.
But quite honestly I got the C4S for its wide hips and hips don't lie
I'm with you there.
Originally Posted by zanwar
If you plan to track more than a couple of times a year, don't get a car with CL wheels.
Why?
Originally Posted by zanwar
The Targa roof is a great feature and the hatchback is useful but the car doesn't feel quite as solid as the coupes. For 90k you can get a 991S which is a much improved platform overall.
I do like the idea of a hatchback. Oh no. The 991 is a whole new can of worms that I'm not sure I want to open...

Thanks for the feedback,
Steve
Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought all GTS models came with wide hips? My 2GTS cab came with wide hips and I believe the 2GTS coupe does as well.

I have not driven a GTS coupe but the GTS cab has a very compliant suspension setup.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 AM
carbonGT
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

strandolph, I like GTS because a 2 wheel drive with a wide body, paddle shift steering, plus has lots of other options. PCCB is not common with GTS and you are lucky to find one.

For the CL issue, just buy a special tool for the CL and won't be that difficult to change your tyres. I was having a difficulty opening my CL then i decided to buy the retractable bar. You can check it out at http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...TSCENTERLOCKac

Whatever your decision is, you can't go wrong with those option...good luck
Old 01-30-2014, 01:22 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 215 Posts

About the CL wheels:
Ok, before I go to the track you bleed the brakes - right?
Then at the track you change the pads ?
Oh and don't get PCCB all the track guys hate them, some guys even retrofitted steel rotors,
Ok now your track day is over and you put the street pads back on
That are there's times wheels off and back on. That would no big deal normally. Well with center locks changing wheels is a major pain in the butt. Read Porsche's instructions how to change CL wheels. You need like 550 lb of torque, which means you need someone to step on the brakes while you do it. Oh yes and all 4 wheels need to be in the air And then you repeat with the car on the ground. 30 min at least to change wheels. This takes me maybe 10 easy min (incl changing pads) on 5 lug wheels. And if you don't do it right you run the risk of damaging the whole assembly

No CL are a big No No unless you have a pit crew (arrive & drive)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Jackson22
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTS. Period.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Ive owned both a Carrera S and GTS...they ride just the same. Even a GTS or Carrera S with the lower Sport PASM doesn't ride harsh.

GTS has with wide body so if you like that look
Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Just a comment on one of your questions. I've had both a C4 and a C2S. I am quite surprised at how differently they drive. The technique you use for each of them is more different than I would have expected (although some of this may be attributable to the fine differences in 997.1 and 997.2 suspensions).

It is something more than just the off-throttle understeer characteristics of the C4 (at least on mine). My perception is that it has a lot to do with the lower mass of the front suspension parts on the C2 (since there is no drive shaft). The car just seems much more nimble, responsive, and balanced.

I'm much more comfortable with the C2S when I approach at the edge of the car's limits. You should test drive both and C4 and a C2 (even if they are not the cars you are going to buy) and see which you like better.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't feel the ride as any harsher in my GTS compared to my '08S. The GTS is a well sorted out car with the exception being that the PSE is pretty mild (needs at least an X-pipe to make it sound like it should in the first place). Also don't get hung up on having Sport PASM. I've read reviews that say the GTS is actually a better sorted out car without it (Excellence) and that, while the Sport PASM isn't bad, it was carry-over from the Carrera S and wasn't what the Porsche engineers had in mind for the GTS (this was from a quote by a Porsche official from Excellence). I didn't get the impression that Sport PASM was bad, just that it made the car handle a bit differently and some reviewers didn't think that that was a big plus (if PASM is good Sport PASM must be better?). The LSD is also nice in theory but it's not a bombproof system and if it kicks in too many times I've read that the teeth will wear down (this could be a killer in snow if you're spinning your wheels I guess). Insofar as a 4S is concerned, well is it because of the hips (which the GTS has) or driving in bad weather? When I lived in D.C. I'd only drive a beater car in the snow and muck, not because I didn't want to hurt my good car (a BMW at the time) but because I was concerned about other people's driving skills in the snow.

There were not a whole lot of GTS's made - see link

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-numbers.html

. . . but a number of ones in the U.S. ought to be coming off lease now or very soon so the market could loosen up.

As to CL's, I agree with the above comments but you'll have a hard time finding lugged wheels. (I too got sucked into the "cool factor" of CL's). In addition to being a PITA to put on and take off, and having to drop $500 to $700 for the tools, if you don't do your own wrenching you are stuck with having to find a shop that knows how to deal with them for new tires/balancing, brake flush, alignment unless you just want to go to the dealer. (The CL's shouldn't be a deal breaker because everything else about the car is very good, it's just an additional cost to owning a GTS.)
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not try to sway you one way or the other...there are some good points posted above and some....well you have to do your own research. I would agree that if you are tracking regularly then the CL's are probably going to be a pain. For me, not an issue since it was not really purchased with tracking in mind. I love the look of the CL's and will stay with them and I love the wide body as well. Drive them both and decide what fits your needs best. Good Luck! Make sure to post pics when you buy!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:36 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

GTS

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice 997.2 or GTS