Sponsored by:

Purchase Advice 997.2 or GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Well, honestly based on what you described on your first post, I think a C4S would be the best bet for you... and GTS maybe extra money for nothing.

You do seem to want a nice sports car, with wider body, for longer commutes in DC, with good comfort (so no to sports PASM), and lower milage. C4S would be great for DC, in rain or slippier conditions, has the wide body you want, the extra weight of it you will NOT notice, and can be found probably at a better deal than GTS.

GTS would be best if you really needed that extra HP, love the CL wheels, and loved Alcantara... otherwise, C2S/C4S might offer more bang for the buck, SPECIALLY if you want to spend $$$ for modifying the wheels (and ruining the value of the GTS CL wheels).

One last thing, you do NOT want a car that hasn't at all been driven, so 10K miles on a 2010 car may not be best... you want some car that was driven continuously but not for that long.
I totally agree with this. In addition, you could add exhaust and a EVOMsit software tune and have more HP than a GTS for less than the price of the 5-lug conversion.

Whatever you decide...you're going to be one happy man! Good luck.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What you guys write about a C4S with some HP mods makes sense, thanks for that perspective.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about there being a "sitting around doing nothing too long" downside of a low mileage car. There's a 2011 CPO in Pennsylvania with 1000 miles that has all the right stuff (no SPASM--not sure if this is good or bad though). But, is 1000 miles too low for a 2011? Or with a CPO should I not care?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:10 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by strandolph
What you guys write about a C4S with some HP mods makes sense, thanks for that perspective.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about there being a "sitting around doing nothing too long" downside of a low mileage car. There's a 2011 CPO in Pennsylvania with 1000 miles that has all the right stuff (no SPASM--not sure if this is good or bad though). But, is 1000 miles too low for a 2011? Or with a CPO should I not care?
I prefer low mileage cars, especially if they are only 2-3 years old like the one you mentioned. IMO, the only ones who say they prefer high/higher mileage cars are the ones whose cars have high mileage.

I think it's like a misery loves company sort of thing.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

SPASM for your commute may not be the best, so that's actually good.

If that car was built late 2011, maybe ok, but if build date is in 2010... then basically that car hasn't been driven at all for almost 4yrs, and that's probably not the best thing.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
If that car was built late 2011, maybe ok, but if build date is in 2010... then basically that car hasn't been driven at all for almost 4yrs, and that's probably not the best thing.
Build date was 12/10
Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 AM
ultrashield mark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTS
Old 02-02-2014, 02:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

I think the low mile worry syndrome applies more to the .1 IMS cars. I haven't seen any hard and fast numbers on this but some here suggest that low mile cars have had a disproportionate number of IMS failures compared to higher mile cars.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

I had an 09 C2S and currently have an 11 GTS. I would buy the GTS again if I were shopping in the Porsche market.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think the low mile worry syndrome applies more to the .1 IMS cars. I haven't seen any hard and fast numbers on this but some here suggest that low mile cars have had a disproportionate number of IMS failures compared to higher mile cars.
If all I'm worried about is dried out gaskets and seals, wouldn't I get any seepage repaired under warranty?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:45 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

For $90K you can get a 2009 997TT. Last year of the bullet proof Metzger engine and the first year of the new PCM (factory bluetooth, Ipod, and better navigation).
Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Jaygauthier
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on GTS. I have 2012 in GT Silver with 1500 miles. I had same debate as you, drove both and just love the GTS performance. CLs are not a problem unless you track car due to reasons others have posted in this thread. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan M Hartman
I totally agree with this. In addition, you could add exhaust and a EVOMsit software tune and have more HP than a GTS for less than the price of the 5-lug conversion.

Whatever you decide...you're going to be one happy man! Good luck.
If you add the exhaust make sure that it will pass VA/DC/MD inspection. This probably isn't an issue in your area but in CA exhaust mods are problematic. (In fact techs do a visual first and if they notice a mod that isn't approved (by CARB?) they will fail you before they even test your car. Luckily, you don't need an inspection here until your car is 6 years old and thereafter every other year.)
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same dilemma and chose the GTS. 408 horses, wide body, 2 wheel drive and the alcantara interior. At the end of the day, it's a great compromise between an "S" and a GT3… Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
If you add the exhaust make sure that it will pass VA/DC/MD inspection. This probably isn't an issue in your area but in CA exhaust mods are problematic. (In fact techs do a visual first and if they notice a mod that isn't approved (by CARB?) they will fail you before they even test your car. Luckily, you don't need an inspection here until your car is 6 years old and thereafter every other year.)
Great point. We don't have that issue here in Oregon; but thanks for pointing it out for others.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:02 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan M Hartman
Great point. We don't have that issue here in Oregon; but thanks for pointing it out for others.
The GTS looks great with those wide hips. With one exception for the hideous wheels... I would change those, they remind me what of what I might see on a tricked out Honda Civic driving down Myrtle Beach. I came close to buying one though. What a car. Saw a good deal for a 2011 with low miles for low 80's. are you still looking? I can take a look and see if it's still there.

For me I realized I would be wasting all that power since I am not planning to track the car. Even the extra power and brakes and pasm on an S seemed only relevant on the track. Plus the 19 inch wheels would only hurt performance outside of a track. So I just went with a base c4 for all around use and got a good deal on a 2011.

Last edited by robh75; 03-06-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice 997.2 or GTS