Sponsored by:

Looking for Advice on Winter Weels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:13 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

Thanks to a fellow RL here I found a set of Carrera III wheels. Correct size and offset. Wheels came with Nokians for a very fair price.

Thanks Pete!

The wheels do not have TPMS. Not a big deal to me, but now I have TPMS error on mt dash.

Does anyone know how to turn it off?

Thanks,

Bob-
Old 01-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
The wheels do not have TPMS. Not a big deal to me, but now I have TPMS error on mt dash.

Does anyone know how to turn it off?
The Durametric Pro can tell the computer to disable the TPMS system.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...etric-pro.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-26-2014, 07:16 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

^^^^^Yikes!^^^^^
Old 01-26-2014, 07:25 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Default Photos of Carrera IIIs on the car

Snow wheels and tire setup

Bob-
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
How do not drag the front on everything?
I pay VERY close attention to ramps and curbs that may be hidden under the snow. When it's really deep, the front spoiler just works like a snow plow. There are a couple of little paint nicks on the leading edge of the spoiler, but no cracks or any other visible damage.

The bigger problem is that snow gets packed into the open spokes of the RS Spyder wheels. If there's lots of deep snow and I start to get vibration, I stop and poke it out with a snow brush...a couple of days I also took a couple of 2-liter Pepsi bottles full of water to "flush" out the snow.
Attached Images  

Last edited by gcurnew; 01-28-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Snow wheels and tire setup

Bob-
Looks nice. Did you get out and drive in today's snow?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:24 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Originally Posted by gcurnew
The bigger problem is that snow gets packed into the open spokes of the RS Spyder wheels. If there's lots of deep snow and I start to get vibration.
Great advice. After my first drive in the snow a couple of weeks ago I let the snow stay on the wheels, it got colder / froze and the next day took me a minute or two to figure out what was wrong. I just used the plastic handle of an ice scraper to knock the frozen snow off.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob Heath
Looks nice. Did you get out and drive in today's snow?
Hi Rob, unfortunately I did not. I need to get a few things done before it becomes my DD.

1. The front of the car is in pristine condition and I want to get a clear bra installed before I drive it in any real weather. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get this done.

2. The car is not registered yet. I should be able to get this done this week.

3. The rear snow tires need to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get Nokian tires?

Bob-
Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 AM
AutoGuy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are both great set of tires, but If I had to choose, probably the Pilot Alpin PA2s. Although the performance difference in only marginal between the two tires, I found better grip with PA2s.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:43 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Nice car Bob

FYI I used this company to put new Super Sports on the Spyder...their tire price was basically the same as Tire Rack and install price/quality better than almost any shop in Denver.

http://www.on-sitetires.com

Last edited by il pirata; 03-03-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added link!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

^^^Thanks Bob...pretty fun so far^^^
Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

I used Nokian WR only on all of my Mercedes (5 of them) and a Lexus I used to own. All RWD, could not have asked for more, great tire . But last year I had to get WR G2 since they stopped making WRs for my wifes CLS and the noise was unbareable. Traction in stow was great but she could not use her hands free in the car, it was that loud . Sold those as soon as I could. Very disapointing.
This year I'm going to go with Dunlop 3D for porsche and see how it works out. Will probably be fine since its C4.

P.S. thanks for the pics. Helped me decide on rims from tire rack.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:07 AM
GMAC03
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to run my 991 set up, 235-40-19, 285-35-19 on my 997.

Had them on for a week in the summer all was good , no problem considering they are 3/4" larger in circumference.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

First I heard of Porsche changing offsets for wheels with the 997.2. Only the base Carrera wheel design changed and the new a carrera s wheels were added but the offsets on the 19" wheels are the same as the 997.1.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S coupe

Coupla items.....

1 - Porsche changed the offset on their rims in 2009 with the 997.2 so make sure the offsets of any rim you buy are the same for your car (spec is in your manual). Some say this is not important.... your call but I like to stay factory spec.
2 - When I purchased snow tires this fall, there were only two makes of snow tire available for 19" and 18" rims that were Porsche spec sizes - and all were expensive. Michelin, Dunlop, and Pirelli (avaliable for both). Contis have an inexpensive all season DWS that worked also but is not a pure winter tire.
3 - I use 19" in summer and 18" in winter and am considering moving to 18" rims for all year. I bent a 19" rim this past summer and feel there is no significant (if any) performance advantage.... in 35 years of driving I never bent a rim until I had 19" rims. Who is kidding who here, Porsche is just keeping up with fashion.
4 - My friend purchased a winter tire package from TireRack about 5 years ago for his BMW 5 series (TR denoted this as a BWM 5 package)... after a few months, he thought he threw a weight.... we took the car to a performance tire shop and they looked at the rims and said "those rims are crap, you got those from TireRack". great. He put the rim and tire on a little jig and spun the wheel with his hand. The rim wobbled and wove. It was twisted. The tire guy said those TireRack package rims were too soft and were too thin for the weight of a BMW 5 series. He said "we see this all the time". YMMV

I have owned and used all four of the above noted winter brands and feel the Dunlop and Michelin were the best, Pirellis were awful, and the Contis OK but not a snow tire. I know from reading these boards that many disagree with my opinions. YMMV

If you deviate from Porsche spec, you have many options and can get the pricing down. I prefer Porsche spec (except for N ratings.... I don't care about that particular spec).

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Looking for Advice on Winter Weels & Tires