Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 AWE vs. Sharkwerks center muffler bypass...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:45 PM
doubleclutch09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 AWE vs. Sharkwerks center muffler bypass...

I've seen a number AWE vs. Sharkwerks threads on here already - but would greatly appreciate any new comments on the following specific points - as to AWE versus Sharkwerks center muffler bypass for a 997.2 Carrera S:

- I realize that they are substantially identical products, but which really does have the slightly louder - and ideally deeper/better sound? AWE or Sharkwerks center bypass?

- While Sharkwerks claims substantial power increase (~ 12 hp) versus AWE's claim of +5hp increase, I noticed some comments on the board that AWE actually has the better overall sound and also results in a more noticeable pickup in acceleration and performance generally as compared to Sharkwerks. Anyone agree or disagree with that?

Thanks very much - any comments as to the foregoing would be much appreciated...

Last edited by doubleclutch09; 01-20-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: fix typo in title/subject line
Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm on an iPad which makes cutting and pasting links a pita but if you use the Search tab and type AWE Center a Bypass you'll find lots of threads/posts regarding AWE vs. Sharkwerks. (I have a Sharkwerks but have never heard it next to an AWE and, as one poster stated elsewhere, they are both just hollow pipes. As to hp, if Alex/Sharkwerks claims 12 who am I to argue - but I can't feel it (which doesn't mean it's not there).
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Sharkwerks bypass, the design of the bypass is simple and straight forward... a pipe is a pipe so I am not sure if one will be superior over the other in terms of sound or horsepower. I do have to comment on the quality of the Sharkwerks bypass, the welds were superb, the quality out of the box was impressive and when I installed it (myself) it went on without any effort, it was as if it were made on a factory jig.

I will without hesitation say it is one of the best aftermarket parts I have ever installed.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 AM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the AWE unit. In my opinion they are almost identical just a different name... both of them high quality and they companies have been around forever...

I would just get the one I would find in stock or in the for sale section...
Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the Sharkwerks pipes. Good quality and good sound. I also added PSE and my exhaust ROARS!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 AM
doubleclutch09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies so far....very helpful. In researching a bit more, it would seem that since the Sharkwerks bypass pipes are - I believe - even a bit less bent/straighter than the AWE pipes - and further that Sharkwerks claims substantially more HP and torque increase than AWE, that the Sharkwerks pipes would be (at least very slightly) the least restrictive resulting in perhaps a slightly deeper and louder sound than AWE. Hard to tell by the company website examples though - AWE has a great sound clip of their 997.2 bypass, while the Sharkwerks clip is real cluttered and astoundingly has background music playing during the clip....
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had/have sharkwerks pipe. I had AWE Pedals, etc.
Both co's are sponsors and have excellent products. you cant go wrong.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

let me help you with a couple of soundclips too of my AWE center muffler bypass. Everything else is stock...

Contour camera mounted on the bumper...

Camera mounted on the glass

Definitely better sound than stock. It makes the car sound like a Porsche!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are good products. Choose based on sound not hp claims. I am very skeptical of mods adding much if any hp to Porsche's NA cars. Even if you get the 12 hp they say, I promise you there is no way you can feel the difference. You are kidding yourself if you think you can tell which car has 385hp and which has 397.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the support guys and any rennlist member gets free shipping (we have about 8 of our current batch left). We were actually really pleased to find a bit of a "clog" and hot spot with the center exhaust on my Carrera S back in 08 and hence were able to make a lil' bit of power. I agree go for the sound vs power... but likewise with tuning we were able to get a few ponies there too.

Here's why:

Much better flow so...
Old 01-26-2014, 03:41 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

A couple of vids of ours on gts' and pse

Quick Reply: 997.2 AWE vs. Sharkwerks center muffler bypass...