Sponsored by:

Exhaust quandary...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM
cjjones
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust quandary...

I know there are endless threads about gundo hacks, fister, and everything in between, so I'd thought I'd start another...

I have decided that getting the Sharkwerks exhaust to bypass the center muffler seems like a good place to start on my '10 997.2 C4S.

I am also thinking about the Sharkwerks in combination with the gundo or fister. Anyone done this before???

Send some soundbites if you got 'em. I've spent countless nights listening to clips but I have yet to find one that has the Sharkwerks and gundo/fister combination I'm talking about.

If anyone has something like this in north central Indiana, I'd love to hear it in person.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cjjones
I know there are endless threads about gundo hacks, fister, and everything in between, so I'd thought I'd start another...

I have decided that getting the Sharkwerks exhaust to bypass the center muffler seems like a good place to start on my '10 997.2 C4S.

I am also thinking about the Sharkwerks in combination with the gundo or fister. Anyone done this before???

Send some soundbites if you got 'em. I've spent countless nights listening to clips but I have yet to find one that has the Sharkwerks and gundo/fister combination I'm talking about.

If anyone has something like this in north central Indiana, I'd love to hear it in person.

Get the Sharkwerks, I have had one on my 997 for five years, still looks and works great. A real sports car sound, slight power gain and best of all a 12 lbs loss of weight over the center muffler where loss of weight is good. Quality is excellent, easy to instal even with car on the ground AND no drone at any RPM in the cockpit. That alone is a real plus.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got the sharky/fister combo. Has a good bark on startup (neighbors do know when I'm leaving), runs fairly quiet below 3k rpms and sounds awesome between 5k-6k (backroads passing range)
I can see if I can get some clips over the weekend, but in my experience you can't really tell that much from them.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 PM
cjjones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stefang
Got the sharky/fister combo. Has a good bark on startup (neighbors do know when I'm leaving), runs fairly quiet below 3k rpms and sounds awesome between 5k-6k (backroads passing range)
I can see if I can get some clips over the weekend, but in my experience you can't really tell that much from them.
That would be great Stef. Anything is appreciated.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Many here have the Sharkwerks exhaust bypass and the Fister exhaust (Gundo hack). If you are afraid of the exhaust being to loud you can first try just the sharkwerks exhaust and see if it is loud enough but I think you will end up with the combo. Perfect sound at the perfect volume and NO drone!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 2010 C2S and I began with the gundo hack, which sounded great at start up, but at higher RPM's it had a bit of a beer can exhaust sound that I didn't much like. I then did another alteration ala;

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...gundo-mod.html

That seemed to deepen it a bit, but I still didn't like the sound. Onto the Sharkwerks bypass. Very well made and installation was simple after the purchase of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-99699.html

The sound is now louder, but not at all obnoxious. However, to me it retains the beer can tone that irritates me and I haven't yet decided what to do about it. In the interest of full disclosure, my hearing is not the best, and it's always possible I did something wrong. I would love to have you listen to mine in person and if you liked it we could make a trade and I'd be back to stock. Obviously not practical, but my point is you can spend a bit of cash and not necessarily like what you get.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:04 PM
jeffrec
Racer

I have a 2009 C2S and intsalled a Sherkwerks center muffler bypass in late September. I could not be happier with the results. The engine sounds very throaty at startup and has a real sweet exhaust note above 4K RPM. Please be aware that the exhaust note is not like a Mustang GT or other V8, so if that is the effect you are looking for you may have to go the Gundo hack route. There is no drone sound inside the cabin, however, when you lower your wind you can hear the sound difference over the stock exhaust note. I have zero regrets doing this and would recommend the same to anyone who asked me.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:30 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the kind/words and support fellas. My favorite set up with our pipe has to be with indeed the PSE and/or Gundo.... It's not too loud with either set up
Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
cjjones
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for the great info/advice/opinions thus far.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on the SharkWerks center delete. I did this first and wanted a bit more sound... ended up with a variant on the gundo hack that I am more than pleased with.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=64019
Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyonrs4
+1 on the SharkWerks center delete. I did this first and wanted a bit more sound... ended up with a variant on the gundo hack that I am more than pleased with.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=64019
If you don't mind Canyonrs4, please embed the video of the incredible sound of your 997 in this thread...wow that is the best sounding 997 that I've heard...nice work!!

I too am listening to what the OP does...I guess that I need to save a few nickels...
Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the PSE and X pipe. I wouldn't have it any other way. I know it's pure bliss to drive with the windows down or even in the winter, heat cranked, sunroof open about 6". I can say this, the car is louder than you think (or can hear) from inside the cabin, even with the windows down. I was showing another enthusiast my car the other day and he said "start it up...I heard you pull up earlier". I had my door open, talking, just revving the engine a little, snapped it up to 5k once...WOW! Yesterday out for a drive, I got on 3rd gear hard, passing a line of cars under a series of overpasses, just no way to describe it unless you hear it in person. I can tell you this, youtube vids just don't capture the sound. For me, the sound of the car is as much a part of the driving experience as the power and handling...maybe MORE. What I like is I don't have to break the law or hammer it to get that sound, just run it up a little higher before you shift. If I knew someone around the KC area had the gundo/fister mod I would make a comparison vid. I still have yet to hear any other 997 around here sound like mine. Then again, I think I've seen maybe 3 others since I got mine last fall. :-/

This is the only clip I have, garage, COLD start...

Old 01-18-2014, 12:26 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Agency Power is the best sound and cheapest I found
Old 01-26-2014, 05:25 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts