997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed NEW Competition Air Intake System with Two Filters

Old 01-23-2014, 06:38 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this fit cars with aero kit deck lid?
I assume it does, just wanted to make sure.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. Placebo most likely
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
The 997.2 one doesn't - see https://www.fabspeed.com/carrera_2009.html

I've just installed mine today - non aero decklid. I assume it is the clearance with the MAF sensor.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly Installed Today

I just installed the intake today.

Some initial observations and comments
- Great Service from Fabspeed; I rang out of hours from Australia and got a reasonable charge for Fedex shipping. I received mine around 4 working days after ordering.
- The intake is very well made and the install kit was complete.
- Some written instructions specifically for my car would have been nice - there is this video
- Installation is pretty easy once you know how, the most difficult part being the removal of the MAF sensor (well it was for me anyways).
- If you have some decent tools and even minor skills, you wont have an issue with install. Just don't force, crush or strip anything - take your time and it goes in easy. (Sounds like a high school date...)
- Haven't driven it yet as we are having torrential rain here, but hopefully things will dry up and I can see if it adds noticeable performance.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Is the tube diameter at the MAF unchanged from factory? If it is larger, how is the MAF managed to account for the change in indicated vrs actual airflow?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

chris
Where are you guys located?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Yes it does, and these cars can take advantage even more because of the dual air inlets on the aero decklid.

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Is the tube diameter at the MAF unchanged from factory? If it is larger, how is the MAF managed to account for the change in indicated vrs actual airflow?
The diameter is the same as stock to keep the MAF readings correct.

Originally Posted by Little Green
chris
Where are you guys located?
We are just up the road from you in Ft. Washington, right off the turnpike.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To address the OP in his first post of this thread:

We have instructions for this intake, but unfortunately they did not make it up on the old website as we are in the middle of transitioning to a completely new website. Sorry about this. If you called I could have supplied you with a .pdf of the instructions, we rarely if ever supply them printed in the box on any of our products in an effort not to waste paper/ink.

Just a couple things I want to clarify for others - the rubber grommets that you had trouble pushing into the chassis, usually go in without issue - sometimes a little WD40 or petroleum jelly helps a ton.

You did the correct thing with the rubber washers supplied and the shoulder bolt that bolts to the engine.

Yes the additional heat shield (997 only) is not easy to install, but super glue works wonders here and makes tightening the supplied button head screws/nylock nuts easy.

Thanks for suggestion re: Oil filler tube "foot". We can supply a thin strip of rubber to cover this area of the shield. Your picture also makes me want to add a thin strip of rubber in the area where the MAF harness touches the edge of the heat shield.

Originally Posted by spankster23
Installed Fabspeed's New Carbon fiber Double filter CAI this weekend. Good deal from Undergound Tuning. Fairly straight install, except for a few observations: Car is a 08 997 Carrera 3.6L

No instructions in the box. (Not cool) I used the You tube Video as a guide from the previous model.

The heat shield mounting rubber grommets designed to fit in the engine bay deck holes are too WIDE. I had to shave the rubber down with a dremel, in order to get them to fit in the holes. easy to do just reduce and test. reduce some more...

The black 6mm hex bolt used for the heat shield brace is too long to tighten in the existing hole on the motor. I had to use the 2 rubber washers,(included) and 2 pieces of 3M double sided tape underneath the bracket to get the bolt to tighten down.

This kit has an extended heat shield that hast to be mounted in the engine bay after the main heat shield is in place. Nice added touch but hard on the knuckles to tighten the 3 bolts and nuts.

The OEM Mass Air Flow sensor housing uses a security torx bit. FYI...

Once everything was installed, i went for a run. There was a very high pitched resonance at around 6500 RPM. I used rubber door seal tape and cut pieces to fit on the heat shield at each top corner left and right and underneath the oil filler tube that clips on the steel bracket. The tube has a small "foot" sticking out of it right where the tube meets the heat shield and was rubbing. Resonance squeal solved!

Impressions.

Wow! The sound of this intake was impressive! You would not know it was installed until you spool up to 4k RPM. Between 4-5k, there is a nice almost turbo sound starting, at FT over 5K, the car sounds amazing, an aggressive GT type wail, or howl but never annoying or too loud. I love it. It sounds like the car looks if you know what I mean.

Butt Dyno tells me there is absolutely more torque from 2nd gear on. She is quicker has quicker throttle response and pulls much stronger now. 4 different people have said something regarding acceleration while in the passenger seat. In first gear I am not feeling or hearing to much of a difference…

And of course the eye candy factor looks freakin awesome back there: I am very happy with the purchase.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 AM
Donny87
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone compared Intake Air Temps from this Fabspeed intake with the stock unit?
Old 04-26-2019, 11:49 AM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone done the Helmholtz hack using the fabspeed intake ? Chris@fabspeed if good sound is the only requirement and don't care for power gain which intake is best ..

This one
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997...kit-2005-2008/

or the one OP got installed ?
Old 04-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny87
Has anyone compared Intake Air Temps from this Fabspeed intake with the stock unit?
Originally Posted by gulshan
Anyone done the Helmholtz hack using the fabspeed intake ? Chris@fabspeed if good sound is the only requirement and don't care for power gain which intake is best ..

This one
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997...kit-2005-2008/

or the one OP got installed ?
Scott here from Fabspeed Motorsport, each and every Fabspeed Motorsport water cooled air intake system adds significant horsepower and torque or we would not sell the system. Starting with the 996 Cold Air upgrade kit for the 996 cars we have found significant power cross the RPM band. We also made power for the 997 cars with our Cold air upgrade kit that is simple and dyno and race track and street proven. We developed this system and it was used by numerous Porsche Club DE and Club racers and Grand Am Koni racers back in the day. It still works great. we guarantee it.

Later on Professional Koni/ Grand American racers with 996/ 997 cars along with serious PCA and POC club racers wanted an even higher flow racing intake system. Our engineers at Fabspeed Motorsport CAD designed a " J pipe in carbon fiber that added even more power with better flow. That systems worked extremely well.

Later when the 997.2 car came out in 2009 Mr. Fabiani bought that car and dove into a complete new street and race track development for that car. One of the systems he designed was a carbon fiber dual conical intake systems for the 997.2 cars. Many Grand Am / Koni and PCA & POC racers tried an loved the new systems. The systems 100% work as advertised and it was race proven and in that era. The dual carbon systems still works great street or race track. Further more Joe and his engineering department adapted the dual cone Maxflo system for the earlier 996 and 997 water cooled cars from 1999 to 2004 and the 996 GT3 cars. The improvement in cold air intake flow was astounding since we double the effective air-filtration and the cars really woke up again. The dyno data is real and un-manipulated.

Each and every Porsche 996/997/997/2 has a FAN systems on the deck lid that blow ambient air into the engine bay to keep the air cool and ambient. The Fabspeed intake 100% has the very same air intake temperatures as the Porsche factory airbox. When the cars are running the road or race track you get a ram air type system and you can 100% feel the added power and sports car sound across the RPM band. We are so very confident that " Try it and you will really like it" or return it for a refund.

Here are some pictures and installation Videos and sound clips................when you are on the throttle even with stock OEM exhaust the cars is really woken up!

Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 676 Likes on 319 Posts

I bought this system direct from you guys last year and it did not have the extension below the coolant tank. Would it be possible to get this revision?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Excellent info on intake by Rennlist member

Here’s some Interesting before and after test comparing stock air box with fabspeed intake - I have the intake and love it

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...surements.html
Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny87
I had the Fabspeed CAI briefly installed on my car and removed it because it did not like it. I did compare intake temps and at speed the FS unit was a touch cooler - can’t recall but I think I posted in the past. Once you slow down the temps were higher than the OEM intake temps. I’m surprised that the manufacturer would not have this data because it’s pretty easy to collect.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Donny87
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
Here’s some Interesting before and after test comparing stock air box with fabspeed intake - I have the intake and love it

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...surements.html
Thanks for posting this link. I hadn't noticed that thread before. We all can offer our opinions here, but in the end I'd much rather see some real world data to confirm / deny these hypothesis. I was also curious where most of the increased performance came from. My guess was that a lot of it had to do with increased filter media surface area and smoother flow characteristics of the FS unit.

I do actually have this CAI in my 07 C2S. It was already installed when I bought the car, so I can't really make any subjective comparisons. The unit is absolutely beautiful though. It's kind of a shame it's hidden in the engine bay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fabspeed NEW Competition Air Intake System with Two Filters