Sponsored by:

Fabspeed NEW Competition Air Intake System with Two Filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:18 PM
spankster23
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fabspeed NEW Competition Air Intake System with Two Filters

Installed Fabspeed's New Carbon fiber Double filter CAI this weekend. Good deal from Undergound Tuning. Fairly straight install, except for a few observations: Car is a 08 997 Carrera 3.6L

No instructions in the box. (Not cool) I used the You tube Video as a guide from the previous model.

The heat shield mounting rubber grommets designed to fit in the engine bay deck holes are too WIDE. I had to shave the rubber down with a dremel, in order to get them to fit in the holes. easy to do just reduce and test. reduce some more...

The black 6mm hex bolt used for the heat shield brace is too long to tighten in the existing hole on the motor. I had to use the 2 rubber washers,(included) and 2 pieces of 3M double sided tape underneath the bracket to get the bolt to tighten down.

This kit has an extended heat shield that hast to be mounted in the engine bay after the main heat shield is in place. Nice added touch but hard on the knuckles to tighten the 3 bolts and nuts.

The OEM Mass Air Flow sensor housing uses a security torx bit. FYI...

Once everything was installed, i went for a run. There was a very high pitched resonance at around 6500 RPM. I used rubber door seal tape and cut pieces to fit on the heat shield at each top corner left and right and underneath the oil filler tube that clips on the steel bracket. The tube has a small "foot" sticking out of it right where the tube meets the heat shield and was rubbing. Resonance squeal solved!

Impressions.

Wow! The sound of this intake was impressive! You would not know it was installed until you spool up to 4k RPM. Between 4-5k, there is a nice almost turbo sound starting, at FT over 5K, the car sounds amazing, an aggressive GT type wail, or howl but never annoying or too loud. I love it. It sounds like the car looks if you know what I mean.

Butt Dyno tells me there is absolutely more torque from 2nd gear on. She is quicker has quicker throttle response and pulls much stronger now. 4 different people have said something regarding acceleration while in the passenger seat. In first gear I am not feeling or hearing to much of a difference…

And of course the eye candy factor looks freakin awesome back there: I am very happy with the purchase.
Name:  photo_zps598714fd.jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  126.2 KB
Name:  65B9665D-7A87-4D2E-99C9-286983C06DCA-7736-000007660C5F59AC_zps49a3e7b5.jpg
Views: 2275
Size:  96.1 KB
Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 108 Posts

It looks so sick though...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great. Butt dyno?? Really?
No offense but I need help understanding a few claims

It pulls stronger? Pls explain

More torque after second gear? Wow, you can really feel the difference? It can't be much more than 5-10 ft lbs right? Is that really noticeable? And to feel it after second gear...

Does the intake really effect throttle response? I wouldn't have guessed that

Thanks for helping a newbie understand
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you consider the K&N intake in your research that made you pick the Fabspeed?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

looks nice, if it made any more power I'd be amazed.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Agreed. And wow I bet that was expensive.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The K&N Air Intake is about $350, how much is the Fabspeed option?

http://www.knfilters.ca/search/produ...x?Prod=63-7001
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you say that? Do you have any experience dyno testing 996/997 cars?

I will make some comments later in this thread, right now Todd from Evolution Motorsports is here and we are doing some custom Ferrari tuning.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Did you consider the K&N intake in your research that made you pick the Fabspeed?
The K&N intake LOSES power vs. a stock airbox. This has not only been tested by me, but others have found this as well.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
Why would you say that? Do you have any experience dyno testing 996/997 cars?
come on man, these things hardly ever make any power...especially when heat soaked by the open engine compartment.

Let me guess, you dyno with the lid open and a huge fan blowing on the engine?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM
spankster23
5th Gear

Originally Posted by robbonds
Looks great. Butt dyno?? Really?
No offense but I need help understanding a few claims

It pulls stronger? Pls explain

More torque after second gear? Wow, you can really feel the difference? It can't be much more than 5-10 ft lbs right? Is that really noticeable? And to feel it after second gear...

Does the intake really effect throttle response? I wouldn't have guessed that

Thanks for helping a newbie understand
After you drive your car hard for so many miles, you get a feel for acceleration. Your butt/body can feel the G's you are experiencing. I know my car, and with out getting a stop watch I can feel that I am accelerating faster now than I was before.

2nd to 5th in my car are where I can feel the most power, the 3.6l can be sluggish, now I feel it Is more responsive and less gas pedal is needed to get up to speed.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
spankster23
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
The K&N Air Intake is about $350, how much is the Fabspeed option?

http://www.knfilters.ca/search/produ...x?Prod=63-7001
AFAIK there is no CAI from K&N for the 997 3.6L
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by spankster23
AFAIK there is no CAI from K&N for the 997 3.6L
There is, I had one, part # 57-7000. Although, one bracket needs to be bent as it does not fit correctly. However, I would not recommend it for performance, as it doesn't do anything as far as I could tell. When I returned to stock, my butt dyno said there was an improvement, but that could have been psychological. It does improve the sound nicely though.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

come on man, these things hardly ever make any power...especially when heat soaked by the open engine compartment.

Let me guess, you dyno with the lid open and a huge fan blowing on the engine?
Absolutely not. I performed all dyno runs with the engine lid closed and a fan blowing on the closed engine lid (spoiler raised).

I actually tried a run or 2 with the engine lid open, and the car did not pick up power.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PhilD
There is, I had one, part # 57-7000. Although, one bracket needs to be bent as it does not fit correctly. However, I would not recommend it for performance, as it doesn't do anything as far as I could tell. When I returned to stock, my butt dyno said there was an improvement, but that could have been psychological. It does improve the sound nicely though.
Your butt dyno was correct. Here is a recent dyno that proves it. There are other threads on rennlist with dyno data on the k&n vs. stock. Recently a racer was wondering why his car ran so rich on the dyno and posted videos. I saw the K&N intake and told him to return to stock. He did and the car does not run so rich and picked up significant power.

Below is my chart on a 3.6 996 C4S. If you look at the air/fuel log you see the K&N runs over 1.5 points richer....way too rich for this car. At that specific rpm, the car lost 14 ft. lbs of torque to the wheels.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Fabspeed NEW Competition Air Intake System with Two Filters