Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed NEW Competition Air Intake System with Two Filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a dyno chart of the new competition intake vs. the stock airbox on a 2004 3.6 X51 996. The X51 really likes the Competition intake, due to the nature of the cams/heads/intake/exhaust being engineered for higher rpm breathing and power.

In the near future we will have the chance to dyno the new intake on a 3.8 997.1S.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
Your butt dyno was correct. Here is a recent dyno that proves it.
Thanks for the info! Guess I should have gone with Fabspeed in the first place :-)
Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Doctor's Cave
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder how the EVOMS intake compares to the Fabspeed.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris@Fabspeed
On your web page you have a dyno graph showing a 2007 997 S with stock and with the "997 Maxflo Competition Air Intake".
Is that with an X51 kit as well then?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Chris@Fabspeed
On your web page you have a dyno graph showing a 2007 997 S with stock and with the "997 Maxflo Competition Air Intake".
Is that with an X51 kit as well then?

That dyno graph is of the old Competition intake, done before my time here at Fabspeed. I believe it was just an S - if it were an X51 it would be making more power than 310 to the wheels.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The K&N intake LOSES power vs. a stock airbox. This has not only been tested by me, but others have found this as well.
Chris...am not saying you're lying but do you have any hard facts to prove your statement? If I ask K&N, would they agree?

I am unable to find any hard data that a K&N Intake is worse than stock but neither am I able to find proof that the Fabspeed one is better than K&N. At $750 for the Fabspeed, I would expect there to be some hard data to backup the comparison claims. No?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Chris...am not saying you're lying but do you have any hard facts to prove your statement? If I ask K&N, would they agree?

I am unable to find any hard data that a K&N Intake is worse than stock but neither am I able to find proof that the Fabspeed one is better than K&N. At $750 for the Fabspeed, I would expect there to be some hard data to backup the comparison claims. No?
I have dyno results....those are harder facts than most can muster. I have never approached K&N about it no....I have no reason to. I only try to educate people when I come across an opportunity.

Regarding a comparison of OUR intake vs. theirs, I have not had the opportunity to test this on the same car. I have tested their intake vs. a stock airbox on one car, and our intake vs. a stock airbox on a different car, so far. All under same conditions/same day. But I am not the only one who has tested their intake and found a loss in power.

See this recent thread from another K&N user with dyno data

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ndition-4.html
Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that link...good information on there.

I have dyno results....those are harder facts than most can muster. I have never approached K&N about it no....I have no reason to. I only try to educate people when I come across an opportunity.

Regarding a comparison of OUR intake vs. theirs, I have not had the opportunity to test this on the same car. I have tested their intake vs. a stock airbox on one car, and our intake vs. a stock airbox on a different car, so far. All under same conditions/same day. But I am not the only one who has tested their intake and found a loss in power.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
One bracket on the K&N does not fit a 2005 997.1 correctly, unless you bend it quite a bit. The instructions show a picture of a 996 when talking about this bracket. The same part number is also for a 996. I have to wonder if they even fitted one of these to a 997.1, I suspect not. I notice they do not offer an intake for a 2006.

As previously mentioned my butt dyno noticed a performance improvement when going back to stock. Low and mid end acceleration improved by enough that you could feel the difference. A passenger even commented that it felt faster without me having to say anything.

I have nothing against K&N, I have used their products with some success in the past. However, for this application they either got it wrong or just incorrectly listed a product for a 2005. They would not be the first manufacturer to list 996 suitable products for a 2005 997.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:10 AM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is simply an idea for marketing fabspeed Chris. Buy a k&n and put it to the test against your intake on the same car. Video it and do them back to back and just prove the fabspeed is worth the price. Then the arguments would be void. It's bad business and it looks shady when one company bashes another on a forum. Prove yours is better and you can believe the word will spread and more units will be sold.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by targaC4S
This is simply an idea for marketing fabspeed Chris. Buy a k&n and put it to the test against your intake on the same car. Video it and do them back to back and just prove the fabspeed is worth the price. Then the arguments would be void. It's bad business and it looks shady when one company bashes another on a forum. Prove yours is better and you can believe the word will spread and more units will be sold.
I already did this and posted my results in this thread. I am not bashing K&N by any means. In fact, I have been a customer of theirs, personally, for years. I am stating my findings for the 996/997 community. Not everyone has access to multiple 996 cars and a $100,000 AWD dyno.

If someone wants to bring me their car with K&N, I will perform the back to back dyno tests. The individual can video the whole process and post it.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I love the Fabspeed intake. The quality and sound is worth the money. Horsepower is the icing on the cake. I have no affiliation with Fabspeed, just stating the facts.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is there any concern with water getting onto the paper filter or into the intake? It appears that the filter sits directly below the trunk opening where water could flow in.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Crossfire190
Is there any concern with water getting onto the paper filter or into the intake? It appears that the filter sits directly below the trunk opening where water could flow in.
No. We've been selling the J-Pipe style intake for years as well as the 997 Turbo intakes for years without any issues. No reported problems. Water is much heavier than air, so even if it does make it's way past the decklid into the engine, that does not mean it will be sucked into the filter.

Lastly, a little water injection doesn't hurt and will end up steam cleaning the combustion chamber. A LOT of water injection can do damage.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate. Usually its just the increased sound and/or the desire of the individual to believe there is more hp and tq....

Quick Reply: Fabspeed NEW Competition Air Intake System with Two Filters