The new 911 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
I am curious has the price been posted yet? Will it be more than a comparable Cabrio?

That video makes it clear it is a Soft Top, I like it a lot, especially the Aluminum Hoop. I think it is a Huge win if the Price is less than or equal to the Cab.
Targe 4 starts at $101,600 + $995 Destination charge
Targe 4S starts at $116,200 + $995 Destination charge

The Targa 4S will go a lot faster than the Targe 4 because your wallet will be that much lighter.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 PM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
I am curious has the price been posted yet? Will it be more than a comparable Cabrio? That video makes it clear it is a Soft Top, I like it a lot, especially the Aluminum Hoop. I think it is a Huge win if the Price is less than or equal to the Cab.
Jalopnik listed the following on price: "When the '14 Targa goes on sale this summer, it will be available as the Targa 4 for a $101,600 starting price, or the Targa 4S that kicks off at $116,200. Both are excellent values considering the wizardry going on with the roof."
Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Not bad, that means they are about $1-2K lower than the Cabrio if they come equipped the same.

If I were in the Market for a 991 this would probably be my choice.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
I love the idea but i find all the textures of the roofline a little distracting. Between the cloth roof the aluminum roll bar and then the greenhouse of glass, its not visually appealing to my eyes. Anyone know how the weight of the T4S compares to a comparable Coupe and Cab?
Well, you have to think there will be the usual inexpensive variations to what you don't like available on the options menu. About 10K should fix the cloth roof, paint to sample of the roll bar no more than 5K and greenhouse glass delete maybe another 5K. Just guesses of course but I think I'm close...
Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say the "Targa" is a Porsche sports car model specification. The first one had manually removable panels. That doesn't mean the must all have manually removable panels. The "Targa" is what Porsche says it is, and they can change it over time.

In my mind, its a midpoint between a convertable(cabrio) with a fully retracting top (be it hard or soft), and a coupe with a solid roof. Once you put a sunroof in the coupe, then when does it become a targa? I'll leave that up to Porsche. But I consider the targa models with the full width sliding glass roofs to be just as valid a Targa as the old manual panels versions and the new articulated self-stowing panels. The key is, after the 'roof cover' is removed, the rear and rear/side areas are still enclosed and solid. A convertible can have a roll bar, but the back end is not enclosed.. hence not a targa.

One man's definition.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Since the days of the newest cabriolets the cars have come with pop up roll bars behind the two front seats--I wonder if the targa top on these models is really functional, or merely a visual roll back to the 1980s...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:29 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Since the days of the newest cabriolets the cars have come with pop up roll bars behind the two front seats--I wonder if the targa top on these models is really functional, or merely a visual roll back to the 1980s...
According to the Porsche USA Website it is Functional.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

It's interesting - but there a few things that I'm not so sure about.

The good: I love the head nod to the Targa of the past. I like the incredibly engineered top and retracting system. Many of us love P-cars because of the engineering that goes into them, and the top is very much Porsche.

The bad: One of the things I love about wide body Porsches is the hips...the smooth curves from the roof to the rear bumper are really sexy. This new Targa ruins it with the seam in the middle of it. And, no glass top? The 997 Targa with a full glass top meant you felt like you were in a Targa all the time...even on rainy days in the PNW!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Anyone know how the weight of the T4S compares to a comparable Coupe and Cab?
Here you go...courtesy of wc11 (thanks, Will):

"So I did some research. To be fair I only compared 4's since that's all you can get.
From the German 991 models so take it for what it is. Quite surprising

Targa 4S
1555 kg DIN curb weight
1630 kg EC curb weight
0-100 kph 4.8 sec 7-spd
0-100 kph 4.6 sec PDK

Targa 4
1540 kg DIN curb weight
1615 kg EC curb weight
0-100 kph 5.2 sec 7-spd
0-100 kph 5.0 sec PDK

Cab 4S
1515 kg DIN curb weight
1590 kg EC curb weight
0-100 kph 4.7 sec 7-spd
0-100 kph 4.5 sec PDK

Cab 4
1500 kg DIN curb weight
1595 kg EC curb weight
0-100 kph 5.1 sec 7-spd
0-100 kph 4.9 sec PDK"
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

If you look at the official videos and the one posted in this thread, there does seem to be a rollbar behind the seats. So this is a convertible that Porsche wants to sell using the Targa name.
I can see where Minok is going with his view, and I can take that for an explanation. If this is the way Porsche wants to evolve the Targa, then so be it. And if many people like it, then so be it. 20 years down the line, there may be people who would consider this as the benchmark for a Targa - and at that point who knows what Porsche would call a Targa.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Of all the 991s this looks the best to me (best of the worst)! They should have done this with the 997!

Tom
Agreed 100% Tom. I've not warmed up to the 991 until I saw the Targa. Never a fan before either. Stunning IMO.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default A tiny bit of Targa History

Originally Posted by Minok
The first one had manually removable panels.
The first one had one (singular) removable top panel (which accordions into a smaller shape stored in the front boot) and a zippered rear plastic 'window'.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I wonder if the targa top on these models is really functional, or merely a visual roll back to the 1980s...
I am guessing you are referring to the visual Targa roll bar and not the 'cloth' top. The latter does have two titanium panels for structural stiffness & lightness, but that is not your question I think. The visual Targa roll bar probably does perform an actual safety function in case of a roll-over. That I think is what you were getting at. However, it is not a complete solid metal 'loop' like the one on my 1970 911E Targa. You can see in the 991 version where the two small brackets pop up to allow the top mechanism brackets to move the fabric top over the Targa bar and into its storage position (see photo sequence below). So it's not a continuous metal 'loop'. But I bet Porsche engineered enough reinforced strength on the Targa 'roll bar' that it will act as a 'functional' safety device should the Targa experience an actual roll over in case of an accident.

As an aside, my first Porsche was a 1968 912 Soft-Rear Targa back in 1973 (right after I graduated from college). It looked like the early A chassis 911 Targa in the photo below. All early 911/912 Targas looked like this until 1969, when the first glass-rear Targas was introduced (final photo is of my current 1970 911E Targa). Sharp eyes will remember that Porsche also introduced a design modification of the roll bar at the time - which was the three slits above the Targa badge. This was to provide ventilation & air exit points out of the cabin! That feature is carried over to the 991 Targa design introduced in Detroit this week!

At the time, we were told the reason for the glass back change was to make sure nobody could fall out from the back of the Targa in case of an accident. The story (rumor) was that a factory employee in Germany had been driving with his wife and kids on a pre-1969 soft-rear Targa and had rolled over in an accident. Unfortunately, the Targa bar decapitated both kids traveling in the rear as they fell out of their seats & into the path of the Targa roll bar. That was the story circulated at the time. Initially the factory removed the rear seats on the Targa and put storage shelves back there to discourage the rear area of the Targa from being used for passengers. That is what I had on the MY1968 Soft-Rear Targa I first owned. In 1969, they introduced the fixed rear glass and included once again the rear seats (which is what I have on my MY1970).

By the way, the factory allowed certain customers to order a soft rear 911 Targa into the early 1970's. I know of at least one MY1971 factory original 911 Targa with a soft-rear back. This is particular odd when you realize that most of us that owned soft-rear Targas at the time generally disliked the fact that the rear plastic window would cloud up/burn from the sun exposure, rendering rear visibility a dangerous issue for us to deal with on a daily basis. In addition, the Soft-Rear also tended to leak on occasion, which allow many Targas to experience pre-mature rust issues. All of the time I owned the 1968 Soft-Rear Targa I wished it had the 'new' glass back! Of course, today it's just the opposite. Soft-Rear Targas are considered more desirable and valuable to collectors - simply because they are so unusual & rare. Just a bit of Targa history, which I hope you don't mind reading.

As a lover of Targas, I have appreciated the evolution of the Targa concept into the 993 to 997 versions. But as venerable oldtimer, I love the design of this new 991 Targa. It does true justice to the traditional concept of the Targa - a visual roll back not only to the 1980's as Edgy pointed out...but to the mid 1960's in its actual long history at Porsche!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in Scottsdale for the Auctions

PS Some of you will find interesting comparing this thread to the discussion we have been having over at the 991 forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7920...ry-2014-a.html

Attached Images         
Old 01-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
If you look at the official videos and the one posted in this thread, there does seem to be a rollbar behind the seats.
Is this what you are talking about? It really acts like a 'defined' storage space for the Targa top behind the rear seats. It is not a roll bar, as such. Also, should you place something there (e.g. a bag) when traveling with top up, the system will recognize an obstacle in the path of storing the top there and prevent the Targa top from opening at all.

Saludos,
Eduardo

Attached Images   
Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

I think it looks great. My first 911 was an 85 Carrera Targa. This takes you back to that form of Targa vs. the 996/997 style. I prefer the 991 and the older original take on the Targa.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM
tomc66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not my cup of tea. It looks too 1970es to me.

Quick Reply: The new 911 Targa