Sponsored by:

driver's ed voids CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Not to add fuel to the fire but even Ford covers my Boss for track use. It also came with free instructor led track day at Miller Motorsports in Salt Lake City. Along with dedicated track key with a "track use only" ECU reflash
Very cool... do they cover the Mustang GT as well for track? Would be great to see more auto manufacturers back their racing heritage and a little less energy expended towards marketing hype. I wonder what Jaguar, Audi, and AM policies are re DE's? Heard from my p-tech that the Nissan GTR apparently requires a $1,500 service after each track day to retain their factory warranty... but at least they give you that pricey option.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi will not cover issues related to track use at DEs.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Will Porsche cover a GT3 that sustains damage while running at the track?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Very cool... do they cover the Mustang GT as well for track? Would be great to see more auto manufacturers back their racing heritage and a little less energy expended towards marketing hype. I wonder what Jaguar, Audi, and AM policies are re DE's? Heard from my p-tech that the Nissan GTR apparently requires a $1,500 service after each track day to retain their factory warranty... but at least they give you that pricey option.
That I do not know. I know the Boss is the only Ford Mustang recently marketed as a dedicated track car and they do back it.

Here is the track key also known as the "Red Key"

Last edited by Para82; 03-31-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Will Porsche cover a GT3 that sustains damage while running at the track?
Nope.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
That I do not know. I know the Boss is the only Ford Mustang recently marketed as a dedicated track car and they do back it. Here is the track key also known as the "Red Key"
Is that just for the Laguna Seca model, or every Boss?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Is that just for the Laguna Seca model, or every Boss?
Track key comes with every Boss.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
So, as a potential owner...this policy by Porsche makes me think that either their cars are too fragile, or they (Porsche) are too cheap to stand behind their "high performance" cars. It makes me think that maybe I should forget Porsches altogether and just stick with Corvettes, as Chevrolet does cover their car for track use. I don't track my cars anymore, but Porsche seems to be telling their customers that their cars aren't up to serious high-speed use, and since that's what they were designed for, with this warranty limitation Porsche appears to be admitting that they've failed and that their cars are no good. What else are we supposed to think?
First, I don't disagree with anything you say here. Second, if you're asking, "What else are we supposed to think?", I'll proffer my opinion.

When you track your car on a regular basis you put considerable stresses on it. It's not so much that the car can't handle them (the stresses), it's just that you have to be more fastidious in checking and maintaining things. My guess is that PCNA markets the car as a turn key track and road car but also thinks that a lot of people may just drive the crap out of the car on the track without any preventive or additional maintenance. Rather than getting stuck with the bill, PCNA, adds that the warranty is voided by track use. Now, they may not always apply it. Say you track your car a a few times a year and they look at the ECU and figure this out/suspect this to be the case; it's possible they will look the other way and not question the warranty work. This might not be the case if you track your car 10 or 12 times a year. So, I think it's just PCNA's way of controlling costs and not giving the track junkie a free pass. Of course it would be nice to not have to rely on the goodwill of PCNA if you track a couple times a year but, from a business perspective it's easier to say no and make an exception than to put this type of wording into a warranty contract. What's more, if VAG/PAG seeks to increase their profits, I wonder why they don't offer a limited track warranty.

It's also my guess that the Corvette and Boss are covered by warranty for track use because they are more limited in production and Ford/GM have done their homework and figured out how many units will be put on the track (and how often) and this may be calculated into the price.

Of course these are all suppositions that proceed under the concept of "There is no such thing as a free lunch", but you did ask, "What else are we supposed to think?"
Old 01-14-2014, 05:44 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the corvette warranty has very specific maintenance schedules for track cars.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
the corvette warranty has very specific maintenance schedules for track cars.
Just as it should be. Porsche could've chosen the same route, but no. I'm old enough now that I will no longer rely on the good will of someone who has sold me something...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just as it should be. Porsche could've chosen the same route, but no. I'm old enough now that I will no longer rely on the good will of someone who has sold me something...
It sounds like you'd be happier in a Corvette.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitten
It sounds like you'd be happier in a Corvette.
If that was true, I wouldn't be over here checking out Porsches. I'm in my late 50s, and I've been in Corvettes all my life. In the last several years I'm finding that I'm finally tired of all the compromises necessary to achieve GT3 performance at Boxster prices. It's just that I'm a little disappointed in Porsche's apparently chintzy/cheap warranty policy. They charge an awful lot of extra money for their cars...it just seems to me, an admitted outsider, that they could maybe stand behind them a little better than they say they will.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

they could maybe stand behind them a little better than they say they will.
I've never heard of an original warranty or CPO warranty being denied due to reasonable track use. I'm not saying it's never happened, just that I have no first-hand knowledge of it. I do have first-hand knowledge of numerous owners using their Porsches for IDE and DE days, and having no warranty fights with Porsche.

If you're disappointed with Porsche before you even own the car, maybe you'd be happier in a Corvette.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
So I read somewhere that using the car for driver's ed, voids the CPO warranty. That seems to be a big bummer. Does it mean that one cannot learn to drive the car, while its still under warranty ?...or am I mistaken.
I believe that restriction goes to the fact that the warranty you get is for personal non-commercial use. If you use the care for drivers ed (as in YOU are the instructor employing the car to teach others how to drive) for hire, then its a commercial use and the warranty doesn't cover it.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Porsche and insurance companies used to be somewhat open minded about coverage at DE events. With everyone is this country happy to sue anyone for anything, they've had to rein things in. The fact is, today's high performance street cars will out perform race cars from the 70s and 80s. If it were YOUR company and YOUR money would you cover any yahoo that takes to a race track? I don't think so. For every 20-25 competent and careful drivers Ive encountered at DEs, Ive come across 1 or 2 complete idiots that thing they're playing a video game.

Just assume when you turn onto the track YOU are responsible for EVERYTHING. If you can't pay to fix it, stay away. Blanket warranty and standard car insurance policies covering track use went the way of leaded gas.

Quick Reply: driver's ed voids CPO warranty