Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver's ed voids CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

My guess is more than a few will switch to a Z06. I don't think I'd buy another Porsche and the current one is number 22.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 1 day away from purchasing a used 911 Turbo. After reading this I think I'll will be looking elsewhere. I track my cars a few days a year. No longer the track rat of old.

Sigh ..... What a f-ing shame.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:49 PM
997GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting. Wonder if the policy has changed. I purchased my CPO 2011 997 GTS a couple months ago and the sales rep was telling me to do DE. May be he didn't even know it voids the CPO warranty.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts

Most sales personnel have limited knowledge about the cars they sell unless they are car enthusiast.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:30 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Most sales personnel have limited knowledge about the cars they sell unless they are car enthusiast.
Unless this sales rep told him deliberately that he should DE and it would not void the warranty then I think he was just trying to sell him the car.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any knowledge of PCNA's coverage of DE drivetrain problems, but if a driver beats on a car long enough, something is going to break. Several years ago, read about a guy who broke 11 rear ends while drag racing his Viper, all replaced under warranty. When Chrysler would not put in a 12th diff, he sued and was awarded something like a million bucks by the jury. If a driver misses a shift, or "power shifts" the gear box, or runs just a tad low on oil, whose responsibility is that?

As one who drag raced and tracked a lot in the past 12 years, although not in in a Porsche, my own thought is one should not take a car onto a race track unless they are prepared to leave it there.

One of the common statements from sellers of used Porsche's is "never tracked", so us buyers of these cars must have some preference for one that has not been tracked. Why would PCNA be any different.

I know some Porsche owners believe that a driver's ed, or DE, is necessary to know how to "safely" use the performance of these cars. But what real need is there to learn to brake or heel and toe down from 140 mph, or drift thru a corner, in our daily driving. You can safely drive these cars as if it were some low power hybrid, and have no need in this country to do more. So in my opinion, believing Porsche should warranty track time just so we can learn how to use all the performance of these cars is not necessary. I came back from a track three times on a flatbed, and if it had been a Porsche, I never would have expected Porsche to make my car whole again.

So, succinctly, i believe if you take a car and run it hard on a race track, you alone are responsible for any problems that ensue.

All the best...
Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

What Porsche could and should do is offer up, at a price, a special track warranty package, with some conditions. Then people who want to track their cars can do so, and Porsche can spread the additional associated costs and risks across that segment of owners.

It also means that if the car is being passed along under warranty (or if there is a warranty record, which there is) you can have an easier time determining which cars were more likely tracked or tracked hard.

They have everything else as options, they should just add this as one. For a motorsports brand they should have an OEM solution to this.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NAM VET
I don't have any knowledge of PCNA's coverage of DE drivetrain problems, but if a driver beats on a car long enough, something is going to break. Several years ago, read about a guy who broke 11 rear ends while drag racing his Viper, all replaced under warranty. When Chrysler would not put in a 12th diff, he sued and was awarded something like a million bucks by the jury. If a driver misses a shift, or "power shifts" the gear box, or runs just a tad low on oil, whose responsibility is that?
Do you know anything about the case? I just looked up "Dodge Viper" and "Warranty" on WestLaw and couldn't find anything about it.

Maybe this was an arbitration case?
Old 05-14-2015, 05:16 PM
NAM VET
Pro

It was several years ago, perhaps in Autoweek or similar magazine. It seemed authoritative at the time.

all the best...
Old 05-14-2015, 08:49 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this started as a CPO and track warranty thread, but ...

... for the 997 and 991 lines, Porsche has published revised maintenance and other procedures (depending on the vehicle and options) of how to properly care for and replace items due to track usage. They can be found in the PIWIS II system. I know because my service manager printed it out and gave me a copy, covers Carrera's and GT3's sourced by VIN.

The 991 GT3 specifically includes a special supplement in owners manual on track usage and maintenance - assume the GT4 will as well.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:29 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tuned this thread out for a while, but now that it has been revived...

Originally Posted by Dan87951
...As for the gentlemen interested in Corvettes.. the new Stingray is a phenomenal car! If I were in your shoes go for the Stingray. I bet you won't have any problems with warranty either..
You were referring to me...and actually, the new "Stingray" is the very reason that I'm now searching for a 911 after nearly 40 years in Corvettes. They've completely lost me with the C7, just as they did with the C5. The incremental mechanical improvements are nowhere near sufficient to outweigh the high level of aesthetic carnage they've caused. They've succeeded in shocking me into realizing, finally, that there are other (and possibly better) choices out there. Hence, my presence here.

Here's a fun fact, though: the tire inflation sticker in the driver's door jam of my '96 Corvette says something like "For normal driving, inflate tires to 30 psi cold pressure. For extended driving at speeds above 150 mph, inflate tires to 35 psi cold pressure". I laughed the first time I saw that. I couldn't believe they were so casual about high-speed use, and there's nothing negative about it in the owner's manual either...no warnings about extra maintenance, nothing. Just "Hey, watch your tire pressures".
Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 AM
NAM VET
Pro

I suspect a lot of European made auto's have two tire pressure suggestions, one for US speeds, and another for much faster speeds in Europe. I know on a Jaguar sedan I have, a Sport Model X, the small AWD sedan, actually a really superb car, despite what the magazines said about it when it was sold, has one spec for tire pressures for under I think 120 mph or so and another higher for over that. There is nothing in the manual about tracking the car, as I don't think Jaguar thought anyone would take it out on a race course.

As an aside, in '69, I had just bought a '69 Dodge Charger R/T, with the 440 ci motor, and took it to Germany as a newly minted 2nd LT, and back then there were no speed limits anywhere except in the cities and small towns. Even the back roads were speed unlimited. I was in an auto Rallye club in Kitzingen, and we used to run our little Alpha's and TR's and MG's and Tiger's as fast as we could in our events. I sold my Dodge to a Sergeant who went off road in it. I used to cruise down to Nuremberg or up to Frankfurt at about 105 mph, as the R/T would not make one complete stop from that speed without complete brake fade. Once I tried to drive thru the ancient walled city of Rotenberg au Taber, and finally got to a city gate too small for my Dodge to get thru, and had to back all the way out of that city. Used Essso Coupons or 18 cent a gallon army quartermaster gas.

I wanted to buy a new 2.2 Porsche 911 T, but they cost right at $6000 dollars, to much for me on my $330 a month Lt pay.

Fond memories.

All the best...

all the best....
Old 05-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy

The incremental mechanical improvements are nowhere near sufficient to outweigh the high level of aesthetic carnage they've caused. .
Well you can't please everyone!

Stingray is still a phenomenal car in terms of dollars spent for that level of performance.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:41 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
...As an aside, in '69, I had just bought a '69 Dodge Charger R/T, with the 440 ci motor, and took it to Germany as a newly minted 2nd LT, and back then there were no speed limits anywhere except in the cities and small towns. Even the back roads were speed unlimited. I was in an auto Rallye club in Kitzingen, and we used to run our little Alpha's and TR's and MG's and Tiger's as fast as we could in our events. I sold my Dodge to a Sergeant who went off road in it. I used to cruise down to Nuremberg or up to Frankfurt at about 105 mph, as the R/T would not make one complete stop from that speed without complete brake fade. Once I tried to drive thru the ancient walled city of Rotenberg au Taber, and finally got to a city gate too small for my Dodge to get thru, and had to back all the way out of that city. Used Essso Coupons or 18 cent a gallon army quartermaster gas.

I wanted to buy a new 2.2 Porsche 911 T, but they cost right at $6000 dollars, to much for me on my $330 a month Lt pay.

Fond memories.

All the best...

all the best....
I once got to drive my brother's '71 383 Challenger R/T at high speed in North Dakota. It had manual steering, but at 120 mph it felt like it had over-boosted power steering. The front end was so high at that speed that it felt as though it was about to leave the ground. I ran out of nerve before the car ran out of speed. Thankfully, my '09 Challenger R/T was rock solid at that speed.

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Well you can't please everyone!

Stingray is still a phenomenal car in terms of dollars spent for that level of performance.
I did mean to include a "JMO" with that post. Obviously others disagree with me, and they're not wrong...for them.

Aesthetics aside, as I look back over my long relationship with Corvettes (and I'm still the original owner of a '96 GS coupe), I appreciate that they've always been FTM (For The Money) cars. There are no free lunches in Newton's universe, and at the price point that Corvettes sell at, they can be fast, or refined, or all-around nice, but not all three. Before the C7s came out, I was hopeful that they would have finally broken through the FTM barrier so I could replace my '96. While it appears that they did make some progress in that direction, they still have a way to go, and the C7 won't be around long enough for them to make good on all of their promises for it. Then, they'll start from scratch again with the C8 and the pattern will repeat, as it always has.

When the C7 appeared, looking as it does both inside and out, I finally snapped out of my Corvette stupor and I realized that I could have a nice, low-mile CPOed 997 GTS or 991 S for that kind of money. The 911 may not be perfect either, but I think it has a better shot at coming closer to that unachievable goal as it's a bit less "built-to-a-price" than the Corvette needs to be.

Last edited by 1analguy; 05-24-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:05 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Unless you are honest to a fault, who would know any mechanical failure happened during a DE. I mean, if you break down at the track you call AAA and not Porsche Roadside Assistance, and have the car taken to wherever. I suppose if the dealer service asked you if the problem happened at the track b/c you had melted rubber all over your rims you could just tell them you were practicing handling/driving in a parking lot - there probably isn't a covenant in the CPO denying coverage for that.
That's what you think, Lol! Big Brother is EVERYWHERE these days (they Don't Miss Much)!

Quick Reply: driver's ed voids CPO warranty