Sponsored by:

driver's ed voids CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default driver's ed voids CPO warranty

So I read somewhere that using the car for driver's ed, voids the CPO warranty. That seems to be a big bummer. Does it mean that one cannot learn to drive the car, while its still under warranty ?...or am I mistaken.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:14 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it's written somewhere in the fine print that track use voids new warranty as well, however I think the only instance you would have to worry about a warranty being denied this way is if something catastrophic happens on the track. I would be more concerned about insurance than warranty.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Unless you are honest to a fault, who would know any mechanical failure happened during a DE. I mean, if you break down at the track you call AAA and not Porsche Roadside Assistance, and have the car taken to wherever. I suppose if the dealer service asked you if the problem happened at the track b/c you had melted rubber all over your rims you could just tell them you were practicing handling/driving in a parking lot - there probably isn't a covenant in the CPO denying coverage for that.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
there probably isn't a covenant in the CPO denying coverage for that.
Give it another week ;-)
Old 01-12-2014, 11:58 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
So I read somewhere that using the car for driver's ed, voids the CPO warranty. That seems to be a big bummer. Does it mean that one cannot learn to drive the car, while its still under warranty ?...or am I mistaken.
I would think that this would refer to a vehicle that was used by a commercial drivers ed company/driving school ie one of those cars you see with "student driver" warnings all over it. As far as I know there is no problem with a new owner learning how to drive his/her car. You are overthinking this Have fun.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

From what I've heard our cars are not covered for track use. Only Cup cars have any such limited warranties and they come with a spare engine. Of course, a good relationship with the p-dealer's service department goes a long way in how this is interpreted. Per my p-tech last year they swapped out an engine under warranty that lost oil pressure on a hard bank during a track day... track day may have been "lost in translation" when he discussed this with Stuttgart.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:58 PM
911C4GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Alan C

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm trying to make contact with Alan C to ask a question about his GTS. Alan - if you see this will you email me at rsmith@spang.com. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Honest it ran when I sold it
Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Drivers Ed voids the warranty. A lot a dealers will not fully explain this and a lot of people mistake the warranty as being with the dealer but dealers are independently owned business and the cars warranty is with Porsche Cars North America.

Dealers do have leeway to approve certain warranty issues but if you blow your engine and burn up the clutch you will be paying and not Porsche.

I had a header weld crack on my 2009 Carrera S. Dealer said no problem they would order another header under warranty. The Porsche asked for the ECU read out. Uh oh....luckily I never flashed my ECU but Porsche could see the high speeds and revs and asked if the car sees the race track. 3 weeks of arguing and meeting with the Porsche zone rep they replaced my header. However my car was marked and no,other warranty was going to be accepted on my car due to track use.

Last edited by mdrums; 01-12-2014 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (02-03-2024)
Old 01-12-2014, 08:32 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its all dealer dependent.

Its a shame that, porsche with its self proclaimed "rich in motorsport propaganda" does this. I guess theyre making too much money selling long wheel base panameras and cayennes.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is indeed a shame when they use the PSDS as a marketing / sales tool and then essentially say "Don't try this at home - it will void your warranty"? The school cars get thrashed for a year and then are CPO'ed and sold by the dealer network.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:51 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, as a potential owner...this policy by Porsche makes me think that either their cars are too fragile, or they (Porsche) are too cheap to stand behind their "high performance" cars. It makes me think that maybe I should forget Porsches altogether and just stick with Corvettes, as Chevrolet does cover their car for track use. I don't track my cars anymore, but Porsche seems to be telling their customers that their cars aren't up to serious high-speed use, and since that's what they were designed for, with this warranty limitation Porsche appears to be admitting that they've failed and that their cars are no good. What else are we supposed to think?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

That is a sorry way to handle a race car! Porsche warranty is worthless to me if this is true, glad I like the 997 better
Old 01-13-2014, 04:39 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
So, as a potential owner...this policy by Porsche makes me think that either their cars are too fragile, or they (Porsche) are too cheap to stand behind their "high performance" cars. It makes me think that maybe I should forget Porsches altogether and just stick with Corvettes, as Chevrolet does cover their car for track use. I don't track my cars anymore, but Porsche seems to be telling their customers that their cars aren't up to serious high-speed use, and since that's what they were designed for, with this warranty limitation Porsche appears to be admitting that they've failed and that their cars are no good. What else are we supposed to think?
Not to add fuel to the fire but even Ford covers my Boss for track use. It also came with free instructor led track day at Miller Motorsports in Salt Lake City. Along with dedicated track key with a "track use only" ECU reflash
Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
It is indeed a shame when they use the PSDS as a marketing / sales tool and then essentially say "Don't try this at home - it will void your warranty"? The school cars get thrashed for a year and then are CPO'ed and sold by the dealer network.
exactly. what a joke

Quick Reply: driver's ed voids CPO warranty