Sponsored by:

Condensation on after headlight bulb change

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Condensation on after headlight bulb change

Guys, don't know what is happening here. Didn't have this in the past 5 months. Then changed to the new osram bulbs and now I get the foggy on the bottom half of the lens.

I thought that it was taking the light assembly and bringing it into a warm house to change the bulb which introduced humid air in. So, I took it apart again, and left it in the house for a couple hours. Took off the back housing and let it dry out over night. I did leave the bulbs in though as it didn't appear it was sealed beyond the back housing.

Installed and I still have foggy but a bit worse. Mind you the weather has gotten worse(wet) over the past week though. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a garage, so maybe not the same. Hairdryer? I would run a small heater in front of the headlight face to warm it up. or a trouble light bulb. Get the mass of the light body warm. Make sure it is not too hot. You don't want to melt anything. If you are bringing it into the house, let it acclimatize to the house. It will take a while. Like a day to get all comfy.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Jako
Instructor

My real curiosity is. I noticed there is a venting tube in the assembly. So it must mean that the unit isn't sealed from an air exchange perspective. There should be a difference between water leaking issues and condensation. Once the headlight cools down, the fog disappears (albeit, overnight) so what am I actually drying out then?

Isn't the vent tube allowing air back in? If the air is moist and cold outside. Wouldn't I have the problem again?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe its to do with your new bulbs burning at a lower temperature from the oem bulbs creating condensation ?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

"Mumbles - Maybe its to do with your new bulbs burning at a lower temperature from the oem bulbs creating condensation ?"

OOOHHH that's good. Stop bringing good ideas in.Very strong possibility there!
Are they Halogen to halogen? I would think the temperatures would be about the same. If HID to halogen? Could he do that?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
"Mumbles - Maybe its to do with your new bulbs burning at a lower temperature from the oem bulbs creating condensation ?"

OOOHHH that's good. Stop bringing good ideas in.Very strong possibility there!
Are they Halogen to halogen? I would think the temperatures would be about the same. If HID to halogen? Could he do that?
From what I understand he changed HID for HID. Don't believe you can go HID to halogen.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 AM
Jako
Instructor

Yup. I switched from what I suspect was oem to osram d2s CBI. Supposed to be up to 20% brighter ( they are... Just amazing). Just under 5k kelvin which is about 700k up from oem. I surely hope it is simply the fact that Vancouver is humid and cold right now.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Jako
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I have a garage, so maybe not the same. Hairdryer? I would run a small heater in front of the headlight face to warm it up. or a trouble light bulb. Get the mass of the light body warm. Make sure it is not too hot. You don't want to melt anything. If you are bringing it into the house, let it acclimatize to the house. It will take a while. Like a day to get all comfy.
Yes, the second time, I brought the assembly into the house let it sit for a couple hours. Opened the back housing left the bulbs in and let it sit over night. House was about 70 degrees.

I left the bulbs in as it appeared that one you have the hosing opened it wasn't sealed from the projector(front)!of the assembly.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:13 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is that the vent tube isn't properly aligned when you put the light unit back in. I had this problem after the dealer worked on the lights. It's a bit tricky apparently.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

As a rule the HEAT/Cool cycling of the atmosphere inside the "bulb" will serve to purge, through the provided vents, any moisture inside. A real problem with aftermarket conversion to LED bulbs.

Hmmm...20% more light might mean less energy lost as HEAT!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jako
Yup. I switched from what I suspect was oem to osram d2s CBI. Supposed to be up to 20% brighter ( they are... Just amazing). Just under 5k kelvin which is about 700k up from oem. I surely hope it is simply the fact that Vancouver is humid and cold right now.
Absent also changing the ballast it seems unlikely the new bulbs could produce more light, arc current flow is, MUST BE, fairly tightly regulated.

Increase in above ~4300K typically results in more BLING for oncoming vehicles, not more "human" forward vision.

Quick Reply: Condensation on after headlight bulb change