'05 Base 997 or hold out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:18 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '05 Base 997 or hold out?

Hi All,

I've been in the Porsche game since the 90's and have been through a 968, a Boxster, and I just sold a highly modified '77 911. I'm in the market for a 997.1 and found a potentially interesting option. Details:

'05
$34k bottom line
25k miles
supple leather
full leather
heated seats
power seats
Bose
Sport Chrono
Xenons
Sport steering wheel
Crests in seats
probably a couple other things I'm forgetting

It is in excellent condition, but is an early build with the single row IMS bearing. I spoke to a service manager at a dealer and he advised staying away from 2005s since they had some niggling issues (alternator, alternator cable, motor mounts, etc).

If I factor in the LN bearing ($2500), it puts this car at about $36.5. Thoughts on jumping on this one or holding out for an '06+ 997S? The low mileage, excellent condition, and nice options draw me in, but the rest of me says to wait for the not-yet-found '06-07 997S in the mid-high $30s. And if anyone knows of a good candidate, please shoot it my way.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 604 Likes on 357 Posts

imo thats not a bad deal at all... i take it its pretty much showroom condition with those miles?

the options are rare for a base model imo, and i would agree to getting the LN bearing done.

this is the first time i have heard anything re alternator, alternator cable, motor mounts on an 05 compared to 06-08.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:44 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

I haven't yet seen it in person, but based on the pictures and talking to the seller I think it is about as close to showroom as you'll get for a 2005.

The "avoid 2005s" is just one man's opinion, but I figure I'd throw it out there. He said there were things like the alternator cable corroding and causing slow starts and what not that you don't see on 06-08.

There is a big part of me that wants an S, and a concern here is buyer's remorse (as always).
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Also, it just came out of CPO warranty last month.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that's a very good deal. I've never heard of any issues wrt 2005 vs. later models, with the exception of the IMS, and even that's extremely rare. Also, finding a 06-07 S with low miles and great condition in the mid to hi $30s won't be that easy IMO.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a very similar spec'd early 05 with PASM, with double that mileage for the same price. Around here 06 C2Ss were going for at least 10-15k more. It is a second car and I paid cash and it was as much as I wanted to spend on a second vehicle. I have noticed that prices have dropped a little recently, but 06s are still above 40k and that is with 50k+ miles. I understand prices may well drop during the winter months, so you may find a good deal on a 06 yet. Me, I'm impulsive and once I decided I wanted one, yesterday was not soon enough!

The IMS issue is obviously the biggest concern, and from what I understand it is possible that some early 05s may well have the bigger bearing anyway, so replacing it is not quite as simple without a full tear down. I put in a magnetic drain plug and will change the oil often and check the plug and filter.

Mine had the RMS changed by the previous owner and the dealer supposedly replaced the IMS seal at the same time and apparently the existing seal was still good. Don't know if that counts for anything or not. The battery cables were also changed by the dealer free of charge although it was out of warranty.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:15 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say a "big part of you" wants an S. Is that part of you willing to pay for it? Is that part of you willing to be satisfied with a base model in exchange for not paying the extra $?

I've only had mine a year and I think I looked specifically for an S, although I can't be sure. Based on knowing me, I'd say I was looking for as much speed/hp as I could afford. Since owning it, I have realized (luckily) that I can't increase speed/hp for a cost I'm willing to pay. Therefore, I'm "stuck" with what I have. Having said that, I realize too (now) that I don't "need" more speed/hp and (maybe) I'm getting old enough that the speed/hp desire has run its course. That doesn't mean I don't *want* speed/hp anymore, I just realize I don't "need" it.

So, I'm happy that I have an S. I think I would not be happy if I had bought a base and later thought (I should have paid the extra $ for an S). Do I *need* an S? No. But it likely would have bothered me not to have gotten one if I could have.

If the above sounds like a huge contradiction, I understand, it does to me too. Objectively, I know I'm not a good enough driver such that the base 911 would be a limiting factor in any driving I do or will do. But I always *want* to have a faster car if I can afford it. Only you can say whether you will be happy with a base or an S down the road, but if you think you want more speed/hp then take your time now and evaluate both (care)fully. It may be cheaper to pay for the S now then to buy a base and then an S later.

On the other hand, you'll always get used to whatever speed/hp you have and want more - that's the old man in me starting to rear his grizzled, gray head.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Great deal, if in good shape. Just for your peace of mind, factor in the LN Engineering upgrade, AND ensure you find a shop who can do this beforehand, they don't have good installers everywhere. Also, be prepared, to maybe do the clutch while they're doing the bearings... if you plan to keep the car for long, might not be a bad idea ($800 or so).
Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

call ln eng and ask them what shop in your vicinity they would recommend. it is very important to get this done by people who do have all required know how, have all required special tools, this way you can be sure nothing will get damaged during this retrofit.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:21 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 408 Likes on 123 Posts

Thats a great deal if its truly a nice car. The one advantage of the early 2005 is that you can replace the bearing with the LN engineering bearing. The later cars the bearing is too big to be removed so you are stuck. While the failure rate on the newer bearing is lower, its not zero and plenty of people have had failures in 2006-2008 cars. For my money I would buy that car and do the update. If later you decide to upgrade you bought at the bottom of the market and you should do just fine when reselling the car.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm in central NJ, so there are a host of great shops in the area. I've used Powertech in the past and may have them do the LN swap, if end up with a single row car.

As for the S vs Base, I'm the type of person to seek out the very best option for my dollar. I will spend time hunting and scouring ads until I get what I feel optimizes my investment. In this case, I need to be under $40k for sure, and mid-30s would be even better. I'm also a victim of talking myself up, as we all are. My '77 911 had a 2.7 and come time for the engine upgrade, I originally figured I would go 3.0. But for only a little more you can get a 3.2. And while you are at 3.2 money, you might as well go 964 3.6. But the 993 3.6 is just a hair more. And if you're at 993 3.6, just be done with it and get the varioram model. That's how my last car went, and you can guess what I ended up with.

I like the idea of getting into a 997 on the lower end, so I have a bit of breathing room. I'd love to have PSE, and I'd have funds left over for that upgrade. That being said, I'm sure I'd appreciate the performance bumps of the S.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Sounds a good deal and I wouldn't let the 05 issues keep you from nabbing a good deal.

For comparison sake my 06 Carrera 4 was very low 40's...with 23k on it (BOSE, heated seats, xenons, partial leather, colored crests).
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

Muffin Man- I am in central jersey and have a base 2005 MT (larger bearing) with 19k miles, spacers, short shift, front air grilles, new Mich SSs and not many fussy optionsand in pristine condition, original owner no issues to date. Would not let it go for less than 35k if i were to sell. If you wanted to take it for a ride I'd show you what a base can do -u may be impressed; S is only 30HP more. anyway you'd have something to compare. Let me know if interested
Old 10-16-2013, 02:47 PM
toms59
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
Hi All,

I've been in the Porsche game since the 90's and have been through a 968, a Boxster, and I just sold a highly modified '77 911. I'm in the market for a 997.1 and found a potentially interesting option. Details:

'05
$34k bottom line
25k miles
supple leather
full leather
heated seats
power seats
Bose
Sport Chrono
Xenons
Sport steering wheel
Crests in seats
probably a couple other things I'm forgetting

It is in excellent condition, but is an early build with the single row IMS bearing. I spoke to a service manager at a dealer and he advised staying away from 2005s since they had some niggling issues (alternator, alternator cable, motor mounts, etc).

If I factor in the LN bearing ($2500), it puts this car at about $36.5. Thoughts on jumping on this one or holding out for an '06+ 997S? The low mileage, excellent condition, and nice options draw me in, but the rest of me says to wait for the not-yet-found '06-07 997S in the mid-high $30s. And if anyone knows of a good candidate, please shoot it my way.
The 2006 997 is the better choice.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
While the failure rate on the newer bearing is lower, its not zero and plenty of people have had failures in 2006-2008 cars.
Nathan, can you point us to some examples of 2006+ cars that experienced proven IMS failure? I haven't seen any here on this list.

Quick Reply: '05 Base 997 or hold out?