Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Base 997 or hold out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:38 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Really, really sorry to hear this. I wish I had something besides empathy to offer, but don't at the moment.

What does the PO say? Any indication of some compensation? Are you considering a swap from a wreck vs a rebuild?

In any case, I hope there is some good news out of this; please keep us posted.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Really sorry to hear this MuffinMan. I currently own the car that ajayabb used to have (05 C2, 6MT), except.. a non-Porsche dealer (who I bought the car from) got the engine rebuilt. When I was looking at the car, the dealer was rushing his claim for the IMS repairs and said that he'd only get 25%.

The engine was rebuilt by BodyMotion at Ocean Township and they are very reputable. Required parts were sourced from Porsche. I also have a copy of the work that was done on my car - I think the bill was ~12-13k. I guess the choice of rebuild vs new engine depends on the condition after the failure. Powertech (if you don't already know them) are also very reputable - I have had all my Porsches serviced by them. Good luck with getting the car back on road. Fix it, and never look back
Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Actually, I have the worksheet posted here in another thread.
Here you go.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...equired-2.html
Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

bodymotion is a good shop and a decent price for rebuild but I kinda have mixed feelings about such 'economical' rebuilds as they keep plenty of original parts in the motor, not clear if they did put 'nickies' or just some other cylinder sleeves, if all bearings were replaced, etc.

motor rebuild if you do it for yourself is one story and if you intend to sell car away right after it is done is an another story, properly built M96/M97 motor will be very reliable and will last long time and pull very comparable to 996 gt3 car. But it will cost you quite some $.
Some people prefer just to drop in any other used engine, ride it up, then drop in next one. I guess it depends of the intended purpose. I will most likely pay $10k more and will get mine done by flat6 when time comes. But, who knows. All this rebuild business is as clear as mud. BMW based community is way simpler in this regard, not sure why but Porsche world is quite cryptic about all those details.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:49 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, never say persistence doesn't pay off. It was a confirmed IMS bearing failure, and by nothing short of a miracle, PCNA agreed to 100% coverage. I posted more details in a separate thread, along with loads of pics. Never in 1000 years did I think this would all turn out so well in the end.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:54 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
So, never say persistence doesn't pay off. It was a confirmed IMS bearing failure, and by nothing short of a miracle, PCNA agreed to 100% coverage. I posted more details in a separate thread, along with loads of pics. Never in 1000 years did I think this would all turn out so well in the end.
Congrats! Looked like a lot of worries along the way but in the end you got a p-car at a great price(I assume) and now it will have a rebuilt engine from Germany. Way to see this through to conclusion.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
That is focking awesome, best thing I've heard on a car forum in a long time. I am happy for you and there is hope with PCNA.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What great news. Wow I am really impressed that Pcna stepped up to the plate for you. Thats awesome

Quick Reply: '05 Base 997 or hold out?