Sponsored by:

Porsche Driving Experience - advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Atlas_Shrugged
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Driving Experience - advice

I was just invited to the Porsche Driving Experience at Roebling Road Raceway In Savannah, GA. The morning session is track time with Porsche Certified Driving Instructor in my car - the afternoon I get to use their cars. I was wondering if you could fill me on on what to expect? Trying to guage what to expect from the car (only had it month) as well as what they will / won't let you do at one of these.

I don't expect to be full on racing, but curious about tire, brake wear, etc for my car. I have a 2011 Carrera S with PDK, Sports Chrono, PASM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:07 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea what they will or won't let you do, but most likely it will be that you'll be able to do anything that you're capable of doing while not wrecking their car or yours. I had never been on a track before this past year and it is a BLAST!

Found a link to a previous Driver's Experience at that track.

You will wear some of the tread off your tires, but who cares? Brakes? Can't say, but one 1/2 day event likely will do very little to either treads or brakes in the grand scheme of things. From the writeup on the video link and from inference of your post - it looks like this is free to you. That is a HELLUVA deal! You otherwise would likely pay at least $300. Bonus for getting to drive one of their cars too.

(you will) Have fun!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently went to the Porsche Sport Driving School for 2 days. I don't know if what they're offering here is similar to that but, if so, I'd be glad to answer questions. At the school we drove their car. I also recently did a 2 day DE event with my car so I can offer both perspectives.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:40 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I somehow missed this post, I just went a few months ago, bring a Guest if you can, I brought my buddy that has a Z06, we both love cars.

You do not drive your car, you drive theirs. You get to drive every car in the line up except the Turbo, at least that was the case with the one I went to. You have one section where you drive the SUV's and Sedan, I actually enjoyed that more than I thought. Then you go to the track, you do 2 laps then stop and switch with your Guest, he/she then does 2 laps. After the 4 laps in one car you switch cars, you keep going until you make it through all the cars, I think it was 4 of them (Cayman, Cayman S, 911 C4, and 911 C4S). You are not in the car with an instructor on the track, an instructor leads the pack and the rest follow, if your lucky you will be with some decent drivers, the instructor will push harder if the cars behind him do.

By the way if you do not bring a Guest they pair you up with someone, you do not get to do it all solo.

I had a Blast and my friend did as well.

Good Luck!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Linnm
Pro

You asked about tire and brake wear. My experience with both over a period of 3 911 cars has been anything over 10,000 miles on rear tires is a gift--you will get a little over 2X that on the fronts (what it means is 1 set of fronts to 2 sets of rears) Brakes--30,000 on the fronts, 60,000 on the rears. Remember to change the brake fluid every 2 years.
Of course, tire wear and brake wear depend on how you drive the car. The above numbers worked for me.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

Get your class divided up between those that drive the track and those that don't, otherwise the slowest person in the group will slow the pace.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
I somehow missed this post, I just went a few months ago, bring a Guest if you can, I brought my buddy that has a Z06, we both love cars.

You do not drive your car, you drive theirs. You get to drive every car in the line up except the Turbo, at least that was the case with the one I went to. You have one section where you drive the SUV's and Sedan, I actually enjoyed that more than I thought. Then you go to the track, you do 2 laps then stop and switch with your Guest, he/she then does 2 laps. After the 4 laps in one car you switch cars, you keep going until you make it through all the cars, I think it was 4 of them (Cayman, Cayman S, 911 C4, and 911 C4S). You are not in the car with an instructor on the track, an instructor leads the pack and the rest follow, if your lucky you will be with some decent drivers, the instructor will push harder if the cars behind him do.

By the way if you do not bring a Guest they pair you up with someone, you do not get to do it all solo.

I had a Blast and my friend did as well.

Good Luck!!!!!!
That sounds more like the Porsche World Roadshow.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitten
That sounds more like the Porsche World Roadshow.
You are correct, my fault, did not realize there was any others for free.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:22 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My DE Experience

I went to a DE event last week in Del Mar, Ca. It was held in the parking lot of the fairgrounds.

PCNA brought 5 cars and 5 instructors from the Birmingham driving school for ~ 30 of us to drive. The cars were:

- 981 Cayman
- 981 Cayman S
- 991 Carrera
- 991 Carrera S Cab
- 991 Carrera 4S Cab

Everyone got to laps in each car, with an instructor riding along and giving guidance.

Then we did hot laps in the Cayman S, Carrera, and Carrera 4S, with the instructor driving and us holding on.

It was a great experience, even though we had some rain that slowed us down.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 PM
ddrxdd
Intermediate

kcheves
how did you get invited to the Del Mar event? I'm up in OC.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer I bought my Cayman from (Hoehn Porsche in Carsbad) invited me.

The morning session on the day I drove was reserved for members of The Bridges, an exclusive country club in Rancho Santa Fe that counts Phil among its members.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Kero
Intermediate

which one was your favorite?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Atlas_Shrugged
AutoX

Sorry for the lack of responses. I went last week to the Roebling Road Raceway in Bloomingdale, GA. I was invited by the local dealership becuase I just purchased my car and thinking about another already. I was able to drive a Panamera GTS, Panamera Turbo, Cayman S, and Boxster S. I loved the Cayman S. The big surprise for me was the Panamera GTS. It was incredible. Loud, fast and comfortable. I still hate the look of the rear-end, but I'm sold on its driving capabilities.

The best part of the day for me was tracking my car with an instructor. I was assigned a guy who races GT3's and he taught me more about my car than I have ever learned about any car I have owned. He knew exactly waht the limits of the 911 were and taught me how to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the car. I'm totally hooked now. Planning a track day in December with PCA.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:13 PM
PCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Get your class divided up between those that drive the track and those that don't, otherwise the slowest person in the group will slow the pace.
VERY VERY TRUE .. I did one lap behind a 19 girl (was with her father). Absolute waste of a lap .... the balance of the event was great

Quick Reply: Porsche Driving Experience - advice