Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caveat Emptor: Anthony Choi (ac011)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 598 Likes on 356 Posts

or just getting the exact same wheels, which totally confused me.

Originally Posted by Ynot
Getting juicy, there are always two side of the story. But that does sounds fishy when you get the same exact wheels, refinishing them would had been much cheaper.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
or just getting the exact same wheels, which totally confused me.
This thread is confusing.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:06 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Kinda makes me wonder if the wheels were damaged in shipping. How were they packed? and was there recourse with the shipper?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ac011
Here is my side of story.

- I bought these wheels local from craigslist. The guy claim only 600-700 on them. I paid $1200

- I used them for few years on track with about 5k miles. I installed a new set of tires by Carlsen Porsche dealer and another set of rear tires 8 months ago by a local tires shop. Both the Porsche dealer and my local tire shop was able to balance the tires and NEVER mention the wheels were bent! I have receipts for all the jobs.

- I was very surprise when PAT McCULLA told me all 4 wheels are bent! I ask 2 professional wheels repair shop and they all told me they have NEVER see all 4 wheels bents without any visible damage from the outside. PAT McCULLA also told me he was installing used tires on them and maybe that cause more weight needed to balance them? So, I ask him get an estimate from a repair shop and I promised I will refund the money if in fact they are really bent. He refuse to do that and telling me he is to busy and 100% trust his own shop....

- A week later he email me saying that he had already repaired the wheels for $420? I was asking him to get an estimate and not to repair them?? He also file a paypal dispute at the same time. I refuse to refund the money because they are not the original wheels anymore. How can I test them if they had already been repaired by other shop? Anyway, I won the PayPal dispute because I submitted all my proofs and receipts to PayPal vs PAT McCULLA NEVER submit any proof of damage and should not repair the wheels without authorized .
You bought the rims "a few years" ago from somebody that claimed to have used them for a few hundred miles only. Then you used them yourself on the race track for 5.000 miles.

I find it very hard to believe that after 5.000 miles of track use the rims are still in 99% like new condition which is what you stated in your sales ad. You also failed to mention in the ad said track use which puts much more stress on a rim than street use.

You just lucked out that the seller jumped the gun and had them repaired...

Last edited by cool flash; 10-17-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by cool flash
You bought the rims "a few years" ago from somebody that claimed to have used them for a few hundred miles only. Then you used them yourself on the race track for 5.000 miles.

I find it very hard to believe that after 5.000 miles of track use the rims are still in 99% like new condition which is what you stated in your sales ad. You also failed to mention the track use which puts much more stress on a rim than street use.

Don't presume that someone knows something that is obvious to you. I don't know either of these people, but there are a lot of posters here making assumptions about both the buyer and the seller.

I, for one, did not realize that tracking a car stresses the rims. Maybe if I tracked my car 5000 miles, I might have learned that. Maybe not. Even if I did realize that tracking a rim stresses it more than normal driving, what does "like new" condition mean with respect to rims for most people? Any time I've ever been looking at rims or selling, I considered only the cosmetic appearance (road rash, etc) and whether it was straight (true and round) or not. It has never crossed my mind to be concerned with whether the rim was tracked or not. Would my ignorance normally be rectified after 5000 miles? Maybe, I don't know.

Just seems to me people are coming down hard on the seller without truly knowing what transpired and I know I would not like to have my reputation smeared (and ability to sell "whatever" on this forum) because of my ignorance and based on incomplete information and speculation by those having absolutely nothing to do with the transaction.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Pat Mac we need a rebuttal.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 PM
ac011
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cool flash

I find it very hard to believe that after 5.000 miles of track use the rims are still in 99% like new condition which is what you stated in your sales ad. You also failed to mention in the ad said track use which puts much more stress on a rim than street use.

My local track is 170 miles away and 340 miles both way. With 5 x 20min sessions average 50-55mpr, that's 420 miles a day.

It add up ONLY 12 track days with about 4000 freeway miles and 1000 actual track miles. I will consider they are like new condition.

You think I am lucked out with the seller repaired the wheels? What will you do if you are the buyer? will you pay $420 to repair 3 bent wheel or will you pay $450 to recondition 3 of your own straight wheels? This doesn't sound right to begin with.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 AM
McCulla
Pro

I'm not sure this will qualify as "rebuttal" but..
I chose not to refinish my lobsters and buy a "99% new" set (I have one car and wanted not to be without while they were refurbed)
There is no need to repeat my shops/wheel shops findings, all four were bent
All four wheels were repainted, that was never revealed. Sags evident in the concavities of the center cap area and lug bolt sites.
I asked for a full refund when I found out about the condition of the wheels, prior to sending them to the refurb shop.
As I have posted, I went forward with the eval/straightening (as noted, only possible on three of the four). My choice, I need my car and assumed I was out the money.
I initiated a PayPal action in an attempt to recover my repair costs and the cost of one unusable wheel. Interestingly, as the email exchange between Choi and I followed (luckily, I have never had to contest or request remedy via PayPal..no experience). Choi was quick to point out that he KNEW that he would win the "fight" through PayPal, and repeated that a couple of times in the back and forth. It seemed as if he has some experience with PayPal disputes... Maybe that's the norm, I don't know
I wanted only monetary remedy for my expenses, and was not willing to return the wheels. Again, my choice. No blame being laid, except upon myself.
The wheels were misrepresented and were all damaged.
Anthony: I do think that you should pay me for my loss. But for me, the principle far outweighs the monetary loss. This is my fault for being too gullible.
It is certainly your right to start a Beware: Pat McCulla thread. It's a public forum. I'm sorry about your $29 PayPal fee. I was originally surprised that you asked me to tick the box on the PayPal transaction to save you that fee, but no longer.

FWIW to the posters who were following this thread to also find out about how the repair/refurbishment came out, the car tracks nice and straight, no balance issues. Turbax here in Florida. Hopefully the paint jobs hold out!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Mike, are you referring to the R888s he has listed?
Yes.....plus I would never risk tracking a set of cast wheels that have been bent and straightened. The alloy is now weaker. I would get my money back from these falsely advertised wheels. Shame that rennlist lets a member like Choi keep on selling stuff on this forum
Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ac011
Here is my side of story.

- I bought these wheels local from craigslist. The guy claim only 600-700 on them. I paid $1200

- I used them for few years on track with about 5k miles. I installed a new set of tires by Carlsen Porsche dealer and another set of rear tires 8 months ago by a local tires shop. Both the Porsche dealer and my local tire shop was able to balance the tires and NEVER mention the wheels were bent! I have receipts for all the jobs.

- I was very surprise when PAT McCULLA told me all 4 wheels are bent! I ask 2 professional wheels repair shop and they all told me they have NEVER see all 4 wheels bents without any visible damage from the outside. PAT McCULLA also told me he was installing used tires on them and maybe that cause more weight needed to balance them? So, I ask him get an estimate from a repair shop and I promised I will refund the money if in fact they are really bent. He refuse to do that and telling me he is to busy and 100% trust his own shop....

- A week later he email me saying that he had already repaired the wheels for $420? I was asking him to get an estimate and not to repair them?? He also file a paypal dispute at the same time. I refuse to refund the money because they are not the original wheels anymore. How can I test them if they had already been repaired by other shop? Anyway, I won the PayPal dispute because I submitted all my proofs and receipts to PayPal vs PAT McCULLA NEVER submit any proof of damage and should not repair the wheels without authorized .
Choi, you should be banned from rennlist and other IB brand forums. You are a liar,cheat and theif!!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:58 PM
McCulla
Pro

Mike, I realized the minute I posted the last sentence today "the car tracks nice" that it may be interpreted as if I track the car. Actually I don't track it.
Poor choice of wording on my part. I meant to infer that the car holds true to the steering on the road, no obvious wobbles, or irregularities in the way it feels.

Quick Reply: Caveat Emptor: Anthony Choi (ac011)