Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caveat Emptor: Anthony Choi (ac011)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iceter, I'm currently waiting for a result taking the "not twisted up" route. My shop had the wheels taken to the shop that does their wheel straightening/refurbishing. Results pending, this is not in our town.
Regarding the premium for out of town box/ship, I paid $175 for shipping..that seems like a decent premium seeing that I also paid $800 for the wheels, agreed?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Make sure you get a written report, then its neither "he said she said" kinda thing.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Iceter, I'm currently waiting for a result taking the "not twisted up" route. My shop had the wheels taken to the shop that does their wheel straightening/refurbishing. Results pending, this is not in our town.
Regarding the premium for out of town box/ship, I paid $175 for shipping..that seems like a decent premium seeing that I also paid $800 for the wheels, agreed?
I say "twisted up" because that's what I invariably do--I think every contingency through before I act and I get myself so bent out of shape about what might happen that I don't leave much room in my head for any good outcomes.

When I say a premium for shipping, I mean a premium for Choi's time in boxing the wheels up and taking them to the shipping depot. I guess the difference between the $650 in his Craigslist ad and the $850 you paid but not counting the actual shipping cost is the premium you paid Choi for boxing them up and hauling them to the shipper. Sounds like about $200 for his time. To me, that's a little excessive but I don't know what Choi does for a living. If he's a heart surgeon, maybe that's in line?

Anyways, I hope things work out. I saw that ad when he posted it and if I liked lobster forks, I might have bid against you to buy them myself. It's my hope that the first shop you took them to just did something wrong and they're really just fine and Choi really didn't do anything wrong. Please keep us updated.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm kinda surprised that ac011 has not chimed in to defend himself... but then again he just joined in AUG and all his postings have been to put up a few items for sale. hmmmm.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:21 PM
McCulla
Pro

Update: My indy shop got the wheels back from Turbax, who does their evals and refurbishments (if it can be accomplished).They confirmed that all 4 were bent. Out of the 4 wheels, they were able to straighten 3, which I plan on mounting. Unfortunately one of the fronts is not fixable. That wheel had a bend in the outside lip that was unable to be straightened to spec. I haven't gotten the bill yet. Luckily, one of my front lobsters is nice enough to blend in, so I'll be able to get a clean looking set out of the deal, I just don't know at what cost yet. Just for completeness, I'll post the cost when I get things done next week. The whole deal will end up being way more expensive than I thought it would be. I'm going to let my indy have my take offs and the bad one from Choi. They're remodeling and are thinking about some Porsche themed tables.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, in So Cal, it cost $150 to true a rim. Some place charge $175 and one other place cost $100. I let my insurance company took care of it. Maybe you can claim insurance.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 598 Likes on 356 Posts

so you also had another set of lobster claws?

Update: My indy shop got the wheels back from Turbax, who does their evals and refurbishments (if it can be accomplished).They confirmed that all 4 were bent. Out of the 4 wheels, they were able to straighten 3, which I plan on mounting. Unfortunately one of the fronts is not fixable. That wheel had a bend in the outside lip that was unable to be straightened to spec. I haven't gotten the bill yet. Luckily, one of my front lobsters is nice enough to blend in, so I'll be able to get a clean looking set out of the deal, I just don't know at what cost yet. Just for completeness, I'll post the cost when I get things done next week. The whole deal will end up being way more expensive than I thought it would be. I'm going to let my indy have my take offs and the bad one from Choi. They're remodeling and are thinking about some Porsche themed tables.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Not to rub salt in the wound or anything but you went ahead and had the wheels sent to a shop and had them fixed? Had you given the seller an opportunity to take them back based on this second opinion, since that's what he asked you for after the first shop said they were bent?

I'm not one for throwing good money after bad if there was a shot that the seller might make you whole with verification that they were bent.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:26 PM
McCulla
Pro

Iceter, contact was broken the day of the discovery of the wheels being bent.
Yes, had the original lobsters and I wanted to replace them with a nicer set.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
One or two bent wheels, I would be suspicious of the wheels. Four out of four makes me immediately suspicious of the person trying to balance them--especially if they show absolutely no visible signs of abuse.

Pro or not, everyone has a bad day. Not to mention that I've seen and corrected guys struggling to balance wheels and align cars after they mounted the wheels or the alignment equipment on the wheels incorrectly and couldn't figure out why the specs were so far out of whack.

If it were me, I'd try not to get too twisted up and take the wheels to another shop and see what they say. With a second opinion that stated the wheels were bent beyond balancing, I'd go after Choi like a honey badger. But, you may find that when you call the second shop back, they just tell you that the wheels are balanced and ready to pick up. Done and done.

Now, as for the price difference--well, there's some premium you should pay for having Choi box the wheels up and ship them versus a Craigslist local pickup. I'm not sure if that premium is two hundred bucks but, that's a whole other matter... .
I have to agree that its unusual to have four bent rims that looked pretty good from the pics. Visible bends should be apparent. My bmw had bent rims after 40k but they showed the wear one might expect and were subjected to the stress of run flats. I brought another used set with run flats and these were fine and still straight after another 40k. I'd get a second shop to check them. The seller should provide some type of concession as the second opinion revealed the same problem, particularly for the one wheel that is beyond being usable.

I saw those wheels and the price seemed almost too good to be true. Though other sellers have given good deals on lobsters. Seeing this, I guess I never buy wheels from a poster who only sells items and had limited history on the forum. Doesn't have much of a reputation to risk here. He certainly isn't getting on the board with his explanation.

Of course all of this sucks and sorry to hear. Good luck getting this resolved.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry I missed your update. If the three wheels are now good, hopefully your getting back to a decent price situation. Seems like a learning experience for all of us.

Btw. Lobsters looked great on the 997 and are tasteful. I plan to replace my classics with lobster or carrera sports.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously Choi does not care at all about making this right. Quite possibly he knew from the get-go that the rims were defective.

You should definitely file a paypal claim! There is a high chance you can get a partial refund and also paypal will take a closer look at choi's account and activities and if there is a pattern of claims they will shut him down.

Best of luck.

Regards,
CF
Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 598 Likes on 356 Posts

bingo.

exactly why i never buy from those with low post count and no community involvement...

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
but then again he just joined in AUG and all his postings have been to put up a few items for sale. hmmmm.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:21 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

paypal will probably help you out here, they were good to me on a past transaction similar to yours...
Old 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Happy to hear that after this fiasco, you got the wheel upgrade you wanted. Out of principle, I would see if Choi will take back the bent wheel and pay for the cost of the repairs.

Just want to echo what others have suggested. Since you paid with Paypal, you can go through dispute resolution (assuming you didn't "gift" the payment, and if you did, ooops). It takes 5 mins and can be done on the Paypal website. If the Paypal transaction was made via credit card, then you also have the option of a credit card chargeback (and I'd be surprised if they didn't find in your favor).

Quick Reply: Caveat Emptor: Anthony Choi (ac011)