Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caveat Emptor: Anthony Choi (ac011)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

If you happen to use a charge card for the paypal payment then you have one more recourse via the credit card company. Otherwise filing a complaint with paypal should address this. BTW, did your indie indicate if the wheels where repairable? and how much the cost would be? Perhaps the seller would be willing to compensate you for that? if not then I say return and have the CC and/or paypal deal with it. It's a PITA but like you've noted... life is good when you have these types of issues to be concerned with on your Carrera. GL, let us know the outcome, and enjoy the ride.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are in the great United States of America...SUE! SUE! SUE!

I see a clear case of misrepresentation, provide eBay & PayPal with the evidence from your tire guy and if that does not work, take him to small claims court for sure.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

PayPal resolution, small claims court, arbitration, whatever, you have ask whether it is reasonable for any seller and/or buyer to check the true of the wheels. Track or street use, respectively, given normal wear should you assume damage and, as a consequence after sale, be liable for misrepresentation? Track use doesn't automatically mean damage but it may have been a material fact that, being withheld, caused the buyer to precede with imperfect information. I don't know the answer but it is a pertinent question that maybe others can comment upon.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you buy the wheels with the some sort of return policy from the seller? Did he describe them in good faith? Did you buy them as-is?

Unless seller went out of his way to deceive you, I don't see how you can demand any refund. Judging from your post, the wheels have no visible damage and it is possible there was no way the seller could know of the problem.

Because "your" perception of safety wants a refund, does not make it justified. You bought four year old rims based on the online descrption. You yourself stated that they are perfect visually. How could the PO know of their condition? To other people they are safe, so your reason for the refund is subjective.

I learned to sell everything off and online as AS-IS, no returns, refunds, or exchanges. This way I avoid situations like this. On all used items once money changes hands, deal is done. And on any non-ebay deals I make the buyers sign the paperwork that they understand that sale is AS-IS, if it breaks the moment money changes hands I am not liable.

Last edited by Kalashnikov; 10-01-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Did you buy the wheels with the some sort of return policy from the seller? Did he describe them in good faith? Did you buy them as-is?

Unless seller went out of his way to deceive you, I don't see how you can demand any refund. Judging from your post, the wheels have no visible damage and it is possible there was no way the seller could know of the problem.

Because "your" perception of safety wants a refund, does not make it justified. You bought four year old rims based on the online descrption. You yourself stated that they are perfect visually. How could the PO know of their condition? To other people they are safe, so your reason for the refund is subjective.

I learned to sell everything off and online as AS-IS, no returns, refunds, or exchanges. This way I avoid situations like this. On all used items once money changes hands, deal is done. And on any non-ebay deals I make the buyers sign the paperwork that they understand that sale is AS-IS, if it breaks the moment money changes hands I am not liable.
OK...

Here's how the wheels were described..

Flawless Like NEW condition with only 5k miles when off the car. NO bends, cracks, curb rust or scratches. 99% new.

If they aren't flawless and are bent - they were misrepresented period.

The OP is entitled to a refund. The seller did not say as-is, i'm not sure if they're ok, etc. etc.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I once had an indie tell me that a wheel was bent, but that's because he could balance them with road force variation, etc. and he wasn't using a good wheel balance machine. Did your guy try with road force variation etc? I also went to an autozone and they used road force variation and couldn't get tire to balance. Balanced just fine at dealer. Auto zone guy probably didn't know how to use machine.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In case you guys and gals missed it over on the Cayenne forum, rennlister spooltime posts excellent information about road force balancing with the Hunter GSP machines in the following thread. Absolutely GREAT stuff.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...a-balance.html

'

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 10-01-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: because it is spelled 'rennlister' not 'reenlister'
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Slightly bent wheels can be easily repaired by the many alloy wheel repair service companies. Check your local Porsche dealer for referrals. The risk is extremely low that you will have a problem.

Maybe a good compromise is to get a price adjustment to cover the repairs and for the misrepresentations. Of course, you have rights to return them but I suspect you will have a very long drawn out battle that is just not worth it.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WTF does "99% new" mean?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
John in Norcal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these the same wheels advertised on local Craigslist for $650?
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, the description is spot on, however the price is low...joke on me! I paid the $800 with the caps negotiated in. Sure looks like the same set. Hmmm
Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 598 Likes on 356 Posts

argh i hate stories like this. while buying used goods at discounted prices is normally as-is... in this case they were genuinely misrepresented; and the seller should provide something to mcCulla.

or at least have the option to refund the money back for the wheels.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Of course I would like a refund but the seller wants me to take the wheels to a different shop to prove the lack of true in the rims.
Do you think this request is unreasonable?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:16 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not whether I think the request is reasonable or not. I didn't have any expectation of having to do this, or I would not have bought the wheels.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

One or two bent wheels, I would be suspicious of the wheels. Four out of four makes me immediately suspicious of the person trying to balance them--especially if they show absolutely no visible signs of abuse.

Pro or not, everyone has a bad day. Not to mention that I've seen and corrected guys struggling to balance wheels and align cars after they mounted the wheels or the alignment equipment on the wheels incorrectly and couldn't figure out why the specs were so far out of whack.

If it were me, I'd try not to get too twisted up and take the wheels to another shop and see what they say. With a second opinion that stated the wheels were bent beyond balancing, I'd go after Choi like a honey badger. But, you may find that when you call the second shop back, they just tell you that the wheels are balanced and ready to pick up. Done and done.

Now, as for the price difference--well, there's some premium you should pay for having Choi box the wheels up and ship them versus a Craigslist local pickup. I'm not sure if that premium is two hundred bucks but, that's a whole other matter... .

Quick Reply: Caveat Emptor: Anthony Choi (ac011)