Sponsored by:

Problem with door handle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 PM
nycdoc22
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with door handle

Today when I opened my driver's side door, I heard a pop. Now, the door handle does not 'spring back' to be flush with the rest of the door. Consequently, the window will not close completely. (If I tape the door handle shut, the door window rises to the appropriate place).

I've removed the door handle with a torx wrench. It is fine. I have not yet removed the door panel (b/c I'm a little afraid to do so..)

Question is what is likely broken? Has anyone encountered this before?
Anyone have a part number? D

My car (2009, 997.2) is out of warranty
I would like to fix it myself if possible.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 03:12 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdoc22
Today when I opened my driver's side door, I heard a pop. Now, the door handle does not 'spring back' to be flush with the rest of the door. Consequently, the window will not close completely. (If I tape the door handle shut, the door window rises to the appropriate place).

I've removed the door handle with a torx wrench. It is fine. I have not yet removed the door panel (b/c I'm a little afraid to do so..)

Question is what is likely broken? Has anyone encountered this before?
Anyone have a part number? D

My car (2009, 997.2) is out of warranty
I would like to fix it myself if possible.

Thanks
I have the exact same thing going on except my window closes. I have warranty so I took it to the dealer. It's not an expensive part but the door panel has to come off. I think he said the whole job including parts is about 250.00.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Common issue. You need a door handle cable (failed part) and the handle pivot that the handle was installed on (due to updated cable connection). Parts are relatively inexpensive, but the door panel and inner cover does have to be removed in order to disconnect and reconnect the cable to the lock actuator, as well as install the new pivot on the door panel including adjustment for the contact switch, which is why the window does not drop properly.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:17 PM
nycdoc22
Track Day

Thanks for responses. After i remove panel and get parts

How do i "disconnect and reconnect the cable to the lock actuator, as well as install the new pivot on the door panel including adjustment for the contact switch".

Any diagrams?
Thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 01:27 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l-removal.html

try this, but it is the older style cable mechanism.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

If you use that tutorial as a guide, especially the pictures of the inner panel with speaker, airbag, etc. I can PM you the details on replacing the cable and pivot when I have access to my laptop. Not the easiest if you haven't done it before, but doable with the right tools and patience for the steps involved.... Let me know if interested.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 PM
nycdoc22
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ptech1
I can PM you the details on replacing the cable and pivot when I have access to my laptop. Not the easiest if you haven't done it before, but doable with the right tools and patience for the steps involved.... Let me know if interested.
If you have the details available that would be helpful. Then i can decide whether or not the fix is doable or if i should just take to the dealership.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

This happened to mine. I went to open the door from the inside and I heard a snap. The interior handle would then flap around a bit and would not spring back fully.

I've taken the door apart a couple of times in the past. I quickly discovered that the plastic part behind the handle had snapped.

There have been several revisions and the latest part required a new cable as well. However fortunately the plastic part pulls apart into two pieces. The bit that broke is a plastic stop for the spring which I would guess is common across all revisions and not handed. I was therefore able to use a combination of unbroken old parts with new parts.

I found it annoying that Porsche had revised the part several times but made no attempt to improve the bit that broke!

John
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts
Default Handle "Pop"

I changed mine as well a few months ago. Athough I ordered the new mechanism I did not change the cable. I just took the broken part from the old mechanism and replaced it with the same part from the new one and put it back together.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:22 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I changed mine as well a few months ago. Athough I ordered the new mechanism I did not change the cable. I just took the broken part from the old mechanism and replaced it with the same part from the new one and put it back together.
My new to me 997 has a broken drivers inner handle. I confirmed that the part shown above indeed does have the plastic tab that holds the spring snapped.

With that said, Let me see If I understand this correctly: I can buy the new updated part, take the upper portion and throw it in the parts bin and use the lower part with a new tab for the spring?

Correct?

My goal is to not change the Bowen cable as well. From what Ive read its a pain to get to the side where it attaches to the locking mechanism.

Thanks!

Christian
Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
My new to me 997 has a broken drivers inner handle. I confirmed that the part shown above indeed does have the plastic tab that holds the spring snapped.

With that said, Let me see If I understand this correctly: I can buy the new updated part, take the upper portion and throw it in the parts bin and use the lower part with a new tab for the spring?

Correct?

My goal is to not change the Bowen cable as well. From what Ive read its a pain to get to the side where it attaches to the locking mechanism.

Thanks!

Christian
Yes, that's exactly what I did. (twice now in 2 different cars) even though others advised me that the entire mechanism had to be changed because the part was updated.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:49 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, that's exactly what I did. (twice now in 2 different cars) even though others advised me that the entire mechanism had to be changed because the part was updated.
Thanks. I was hoping that was the case. I just want to get my new to me car up 'CPO' levels in my mind.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

brothers, this happened to me. the loud popping sound and the loose handle. the parts are inexpensive. however if you buy from the dealer they would only sell the set of handle and cable. However, the only thing broken is the handle. the old cable will work! if it hasn't sanpped of course. i wondered what would be updated with a cable that does not break? its the handle that snaps. sijmply follow the panel removal procedure attached in the previous posts and simply unclip the cable from the handle, remove the broken handle from the panel, install the new handle, clip on cable and reinstall panel. done in 30minutes! what i did notice though was the new cable had a larger rubberized insulator vs the old one... but the cables looked the same.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 AM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick update to this as I completed this repair tonight on my 2006 C2 drivers side. Used the method outlined above which makes use of the unbroken part of the latch assembly and enables you to continue using the old cable. Huge time saver and it's very unlikely the cable will break before the plastic latch stop which is not half as strong as it needs to be to hold the spring.

planning to source a new spring since its overly stiff and also adds to the problem. A lighter spring will still return the latch with authority and put much less stress on the inherently week plastic stop. I'll post pics of my mod with the new spring shortly. Should be a nice DYI if it works out.

Last edited by German888; 10-12-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:00 PM
jimvibe
4th Gear

My shop has fixed a similar problem with the provided by me part (pictured above). But I have noticed that the door handle although pressing against the rubber circle doesn't sit symmetrically and there is a quite noticeable gap on the top. Does anyone else have a similar gap or maybe knows how to fix it? Thank you!

Quick Reply: Problem with door handle