Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CNN: "Chevrolet Corvette, finally a legit Porsche killer from Detroit"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I drive a 997 I've cast my vote....but I can't tell you how much I would love a 911 to sticker at $52k. Or even $62k for that matter. And as far as the Corvette having a crappy interior....the paint is flaking off numerous hard plastic surfaces in my 997. I replaced my PCM control ***** today, really need to address the A/C levers, door pulls, center console, etc......
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by toper
CNN calls it a "Porsche killer", not a "911 killer"
CNN didn't call it that, Peter Valdes-Dapena did. One man, the author. I'll bet he's never even seen a Porsche up close. The entire article was a description of the vette, not a comparison between the two. He didn't have one word to say about any Porsche car.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
There will inevitably be someone who votes the vette better for now but the new will wear off and those seats will wear on your ***. In the end the 911 will continue to be the keeper.
"in the end . . ."
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline911
Since I drive a 997 I've cast my vote....but I can't tell you how much I would love a 911 to sticker at $52k. Or even $62k for that matter.
Ditto. I was at the local Porsche dealer today picking up parts and thought to myself even if they gave me top dollar for my 06 I'd still have to pony up at least another $45k just to enter the 911 game.

And I'm not sure the 13' 911 is that much more 911 than my 06'.....
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 PM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Decisions about car ownership, and I suspect sportscar ownership in particular, are so subjective. I have friends with Mustangs and Vettes and they are as passionate about them as I am about my Porsche. And none of us would trade what we have. The Vette could indeed be a "Porsche killer" objectively if you compare the specifications and performance, but it's how the car makes you feel that ultimately matters and there's more to that than numbers alone. I'm firmly in the Porsche camp, but I respect others passion for their vehicles. Car enthusiasts are good people!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

But, how does the 'vette ever get over the "creepy old guy pretending he's a teen, and leering at a high school cheerleading practice" image? The only one worse for that image is a Trans-Am with the giant chicken sticker on the hood.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
But, how does the 'vette ever get over the "creepy old guy pretending he's a teen, and leering at a high school cheerleading practice" image? The only one worse for that image is a Trans-Am with the giant chicken sticker on the hood.
By kicking sand all over your Porsche.

I only see geezers driving 997 and 991 cars around here.

I'm a car guy before any brand guy. LOVE Porsches but the C6 and C7 are awesome cars.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:44 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
By kicking sand all over your Porsche.

I only see geezers driving 997 and 991 cars around here.

I'm a car guy before any brand guy. LOVE Porsches but the C6 and C7 are awesome cars.
Right on BigMike. While there are many factors that enter into this equation, i.e. the connection that exists between car and driver, build quality, reliability, etc., at the end of the day, if the C7 is blowing the doors off of 911's or God forbid, GT3's on road courses, which are the heart and sole of the Porsche brand, at 40% or more less cost, it is game over. Everyone can talk about old men with gold chains, but they will be nothing but empty excuses if that occurs. That said, if the C7s are blowing up after doing it once or twice, or the C7 just doesn't live up to the hype, than the story will have a different ending. Anyone who doesn't closely watch the C7 is being short sighted, particularly Porsche corporate.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it is great for all of us, I hope the interior is really as good as they are making it out to be, that will put more pressure on Porsche to continue to put out great products.

I did cross shop the 427 Corvette and just could not do it, I am more of a Porsche guy. I do have a Shelby Mustang so that was part of my decision, I already have a car that has way to much power for the road. It is fun, but honestly you can not use the power with-out putting lives in jeopardy.

I love my 911, every week I own it I like it more!!!!!! But I am certianly not anti-vette, to me the C7 is over-styled, they tried to hard. Maybe in person it will look better.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we need to respect Corvette's commitment to road racing. They're running at LeMans, Sebring, Daytona, AMLS, etc....you name it and the Vette is there, and often winning. Chevy has kept the nameplate out of NASCRAP at least. I think it's great to see Vette's go head to head with 911's on the track.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

We have to respect the specs.
3300 lbs magnetic ride 460 ft tq, Manual AND dry symp, e diff and 60k.
At any price Porsche won't sell that to you.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+1

Exactly- they deserve serious respect...
Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Statements like this one redound to the author more so than to the object of the criticism. Do I have to list all of the negative stereotypes about Porsche owners? I always know that I have the argument won when the discussion moves from the merits of the car to the stereotypes about the owners of that car.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no doubt that this will be a fun car to drive, and I would not turn down the opportunity to enjoy an afternoon giving it a good run. At first glance though, i don't like the the exterior lines, it looks like they borrowed the back end from a Camaro, the steering wheel is horrible, and the rest of the dash is no better.

I like the part where he describes the car wrapping around you and being a part of you, moving with you like a shirt. That's a nice image.

There is a whole gestalt about owning a sports car, it's the look, feel, sounds and smells, from the moment you see it as you approach, to the moment you turn back to have a last look as you walk away. Corvette gets full props for its track performance, and it is surely a good time from behind the wheel. It's just not the whole package IMHO.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 AM
XteaK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Amen, I'm a Porsche guy, Vettes never caught my attention, until I noticed the specs on the C7, not planning to buy one, but I'd definitely drive my 997 to the Vette dealership to get a test drive on this bad boy

Quick Reply: CNN: "Chevrolet Corvette, finally a legit Porsche killer from Detroit"