Sponsored by:

CNN: "Chevrolet Corvette, finally a legit Porsche killer from Detroit"

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Front and sides of car look interesting.
Every angle has something that looks bad. It is just not that good looking of a car.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by McCrazy
Performance to dollar value the Vette stomps Porsches without even trying.
That's like saying sticking to ****** is less expensive than having a wife.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of interesting points here. I agree it is very telling when Porsche owners fit their stereotypes to a "T" by talking down on Corvette owners. In the end, being sports cars aficionados means we have more in common with Corvette owners than not.

Sure you can point to the gold chain-wearing mid-life crisis Corvette owners. There are plenty of them that are Porsche owners and perhaps only fewer in Porsches because they are less affordable.

well said and so true
Old 08-17-2013, 04:34 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of interesting points here. I agree it is very telling when Porsche owners fit their stereotypes to a "T" by talking down on Corvette owners. In the end, being sports cars aficionados means we have more in common with Corvette owners than not.

Sure you can point to the gold chain-wearing mid-life crisis Corvette owners. There are plenty of them that are Porsche owners and perhaps only fewer in Porsches because they are less affordable.

I agree, you can not argue the Bang for the Buck. I am Happy for Chevy, I hope the Interior is as nice as they claim. Time will tell. I do not think I will trade in my C2S, I still think the Porsche is a better everyday Street Car, but you can not deny what Chevy has put together for under $60K.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
That's like saying sticking to ****** is less expensive than having a wife.
Wait, but hookers are better than wives... but Corvettes are not better than 911's... so that analogy breaks down. I mean, seriously, I don't live in the state of Nevada solely to avoid paying state income tax, I admit.

At this point, with the Corvette and its negatives on the one hand vs. the 911 and its negative on the other hand... frankly, I'm really excited about the new turbo BMW M4... and the ease of a Vegas fun night.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Every angle has something that looks bad. It is just not that good looking of a car.

Wow, that car does not look good in that picture. I will have to wait and see it in person before I decide if I like it.
We will have to wait till the cars start arriving to new owners to see if the new Corvette can live up to the hype. GM and Ford are known to give the press cars that are not stock!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone who has done a fair amount of DE's knows that the vette has been the best bang for the buck for many years. The C6 Z06 was a beast and a blast at the same time. Now, by all accounts, they've upped the ante a bit. The base car has performance splitting the difference between the C6 Z and the base car, and the new Z probably will blow away a 991C2S. However, the cost of a new Z will likely be 6 digits easily, so it ceases to be such a bargain.
To me, the comparison of the new Z would be to the new turbo, but since I can no longer order a turbo with a manual, I will strongly consider the new Z, or whatever they call the new hi-po variant of the C7. Imo Porsche really pulled a boner on the no manual decision. Chose track numbers and demographic over their enthusiast reputation and image. Heck, even BMW still offers manuals in the M6 and M5, as well as even the 530 and 550 sedans. Do they sell any? Heck no, but it sure provides street cred IMO, and holds on to a few enthusiasts like me in the meantime.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/c...ive-2013-08-19
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned both my 997.2S and a 2006 Z06 at the same time for a short while. I sold the Z, and have since sold the Porsche, too.
I took the Bondurant Z06 course, and it's amazing what the Z can do on a track. It is a street legal race car, and a high performance one - with 505 HP, and good brakes to go along with it.
From purely a performance point of view, the Z06 wins hands down until you upgrade to a turbo Porsche.
Most every other category the Porsche gets the nod, as a car with a $30-40k preimium should. The Porsche is a much more enjoyable touring car.
The analogy I enjoy using is the Corvette is like a good looking, but somewhat skanky broad that you know you're in for one hell of a roll, while the Porsche is like the preachers daughter that appears refined while clothed, but is a wildcat underneath...
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't read a bad review yet. I had considered the previous C6 but that interior just killed for me. I can't imagine sitting with all that plastic every day. This one seems to be a winner. Everyone in my neighborhood will probably have one by next year.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Bravo Chevy!!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
The Porsche is a much more enjoyable touring car. The analogy I enjoy using is the Corvette is like a good looking, but somewhat skanky broad that you know you're in for one hell of a roll, while the Porsche is like the preachers daughter that appears refined while clothed, but is a wildcat underneath...
Well, that's good analogy - a different take on the one I'd use. "The Corvette is the girl you date (or pick up in a bar if you prefer) and the Porsche is the girl that you marry."
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm shopping alternatives for the next car and if I had to place a wager, it wouldn't be a new Porsche. The performance and value that is out there is too good to not seriously consider.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an interesting review/video of the new C7, and turn up the volume on your speakers. it sounds great:
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Haven't read a bad review yet. I had considered the previous C6 but that interior just killed for me. I can't imagine sitting with all that plastic every day. This one seems to be a winner. Everyone in my neighborhood will probably have one by next year.
Same here, I almost bought the 427, a hell of a car for sure especially the prices they are going for now New. That interior needs work, first thing to go would be the Cobalt Steering Wheel.

Quick Reply: CNN: "Chevrolet Corvette, finally a legit Porsche killer from Detroit"