Sponsored by:

Engine ticking noise - happened only once thus far

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Engine ticking noise - happened only once thus far

Noticed a ticking noise at the gas station the other day after startup and a total of two miles driven. Was odd and I immediately started to worry. That said, it went away and hasn't happened again in numerous drives.

Suppose valves/cams didn't adjust properly. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Noticed a ticking noise at the gas station the other day after startup and a total of two miles driven. Was odd and I immediately started to worry. That said, it went away and hasn't happened again in numerous drives.

I'm assuming the ticking was tied to the engine speed and not road speed?

If engine speed, it reads like a temporary bleed down of a lifter. Took a bit to work out the air bubble/pocket.

No CEL so the engine must have been running ok otherwise at least misfire error would have been logged.

Could have been something else too. Noisy injector. Loose plug even. Exhaust gas leak.

If a lifter bleed down...How's the oil? How many miles on the oi? Level not too low or too high?

If you want have the oil/filter service done and at this time have a tech examine the filter housing oil and filter element for any scary signs (I said scary not just signs) of trash in the filter oil or filter element.

Odds are he'll find nothing for you to worry about.

So you keep your ears open and your wits about you just in case but based on what you posted and assuming the tech finds nothing to worry about I think you have nothing to really worry about.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Thanks Macster

2k on the oil and I change myself. Was ticking at idle. I'll keep an eye on this. Engine running fine. Knock wood.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,399 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I don't want to start an oil war/debate, but what oil did you select at your last oil change?

OEM Porsche oil filter?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Palumbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chances are you are low on oil. These cars (but not all I'm discovering) burn oil. In fact not unusual to burn a quart in 800 miles. This whole oil level thing on these cars are especially annoying to me, my 3.2 burned a quart every 1k miles and eventually I knew the oil level by just the feel of the car. These new cars and the sensor are very sensitive. I suspect if you have a lifter ticking, there's not enough oil present.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Use mobile one 0-40w. Filled to top bar.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Palumbo
These cars (but not all I'm discovering) burn oil. In fact not unusual to burn a quart in 800 miles.
I don't agree.

While some Porsches use oil, I find it more the exception than the rule.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Use mobile one 0-40w. Filled to top bar.
I'd suggest you look into some of the "fancier" oils with higher level of zinc and phosphorus. This will/might help with some of your start-up noise and ticking. For example, research the Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40. Jake Raby helped develop this oil with Gibbs, and is working on yet another version of this oil to further address the start-up noise.

You could also consider using a 5W40 oil. I like Red Line's.

My last suggestion would be to look into Mobil 5W50. Porsche approved. With higher levels of Zn and Phos.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you considered the ticking might be a bearing in one of the pumps (water, AC, alternator, etc) starting to go? That's usually my first area of inspection when I hear ticking.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 AM
MDClint
Track Day

I’ve experienced a ticking noise on a couple of occasions as well. The noise was related to engine speed and only happened at idol. But it was definitely faster than the normal valve noise that a lot of engines have. I believe both occasions that I’ve heard it was while driving through the city. And there were no CELs and the engine seems to be running fine so once I was able to get out and open it up a bit the noise went away w/o any further issues. The explanation that Macster gave about the lifter would seem to fit my situation.

Hopefully it’s nothing but please share if you find any definite answers,
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

empty valve lifter sounds at idle like somebody hits a pot with a metal spoon. it goes at same rate with RPMs and as you add on throttle it goes away.

best remedy is to use heavier oil - 5w50 and install x51 oil pan with metal baffles to reduce foaming around oil pickup line.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM
MDClint
Track Day

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I don't think it was that then. More of a quick ticking sound.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

hmm. 'ticking' - was it like cracking metal? that would be mufflers cooling down or heating up.

chain rattle is different - it only happens at startup when tensioner is not filled with oil yet and it isa low frequency heavy rattle, it must go away in 5-10 sec, IF it does not go away - you need to see a mechanic and figure out why.

valves and lifters you cannot mix with anything else. it is high pitch spoon on a pot sound, metal hits metal. all sounds like that are very different from normal engine sounds and you will hear them right away.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM
mr.precision
Intermediate

Sounds like a lifter.... don't worry about it unless it happens on a regular basis. Oil consumption? My 2007 C2S with 63K miles uses about 1 liter between oil changes every 5k miles. I am not a big fan of Mobil 1....... too many independent tests show it to be less effective than claimed. Redline and Royal Purple make, IMHO, superior products. I use these in my 911 and a vintage Ferrari.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:05 PM
MDClint
Track Day

The ticking that I experienced wasn't that "metallic" sounding. Sort of the same sound you would hear as a result of electrostatic build up. But it had a quick and consistent cadence at idol (3 to 5 per second maybe?). I have recent replaced my serpentine belt and hand checked all of the pullies. No signs of play and they all spun smoothly at that time. Also, my oil level always stays consistent.

Quick Reply: Engine ticking noise - happened only once thus far