Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum window trim...keep or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum window trim...keep or replace?

I found a used 997 I am interested in but it has aluminum window trim. It is a black 2010 coupe. I have not seen it in person yet but normally I would prefer black. Does anyone here have a black coupe with aluminum window trim? How much would it cost to switch to black? I would love to see some quality pics too.

Just not sure if this is a deal breaker for me. Hoping it is not much to replace if I don't like it. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it a Targa? I thought only Targas had that trim.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Gruson
Instructor

C2. You can get the trim on any 911. Targas have their own unique strip. I was looking at members' photos here and was surprised how many have it actually.

I just want it black and have no idea how much it will cost to switch out.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

First, you can probably have the trim pieces wrapped in black vinyl to see how it looks, and then opt to have pieces painted or replaced if you decide you like it. Or just remove the vinyl when done to return to stock. Wouldn't let this be a deal breaker if you love the car.

Best of luck!

KS
Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

they were expensive, so be sure you dont want them before you take it off. wrap with black electrical tape to see. If you can get them off w/out bending or damaging you should be able to sell them easily
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Originally Posted by ksozay
First, you can probably have the trim pieces wrapped in black vinyl to see how it looks, and then opt to have pieces painted or replaced if you decide you like it. Or just remove the vinyl when done to return to stock. Wouldn't let this be a deal breaker if you love the car.

Best of luck!

KS
Yeah, I have heard of people doing that, I would need to find someone that can do it though...I would never attempt such a thing because I would screw something up.

I am going to ask the dealer how much it would cost to have them switch them all out and try to get that as part of the deal. Who knows, maybe in person I will actually like them.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On the Targa, its sweeping roof-line trim is brushed stainless steel I believe and integral to the structure (ie you have to remove the rear side windows and drill out rivets to remove it.

For the Carrera its bound to be less structurally integral and easier to pull and have powder coated or wrapped.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Rocco07
Racer

My experience with these on other cars, BMW, is they are very easy to damage. if you get a bend in it or a kink taking it off or putting it on it will never look the same. I'd recommend professional removal and install.

Quick Reply: Aluminum window trim...keep or replace?