Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK vs. 997.1 manual ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
If the 997.2 is in your price range then I would rule out the 997.1 altogether. Make the decision between manual vs. PDk because there are many improvements in the .2 model that kind of make it an apples to oranges comparison between these two cars. I have the 997.1 and can tell you that the IMS issue, although less likely with the revised bearing, is still always in the back of my mind. I change oil frequently and have it analyzed to help me sleep at night. PASM is supposedly improved as well.

Personally, I prefer manual but I don't drive my car daily and don't have to deal with traffic. I'm also not concerned with the performance gains it offers. That's just me and that might change as my addiction to DE events continues to grow.
+1, 997.2 manual, but it sounds like OP had already had his decision, he doesn't want to shift in traffic and I don't blame him. I don't daily mine so manual isn't a problem. I'm old school, all sports car should be manual only.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:09 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the carfax question: It will make a difference to some people, but if you can document that there was no sheet metal damage then it should not be a deal breaker. You mentioned that the bumpers need reconditioning. I don't know if that is from the original accident, but I would definitely take some before and after pictures of those areas. This will help you explain to a prospective buyer why it was done.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had both cars you ask about.
Hands down the 997.2 PDK.
The Sports Chrono is a must for the PDK to make it perform properly. Someone falsely stated it impacts horsepower. It does not. It remaps the throttle, so less pedal does more, and remaps the PDK shift points, both up and down to more aggressive settings. The Sports Plus setting also gives you launch control and red line shifts.
Sports Chrono can be added to a car that does not have it from the factory, except for the lap timer (dash wart).

To those that say a proper sports car should have a manual tranny, and it's "old school", well they're right. Very old school.
PDK is the easiest way to improve your lap times.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go. i have it on my 997.2 manual and love it. mine came factory with the wart on dash.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997236per
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The sport chrono releases a whole new car, more horse power,
More horsepower
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I've driven both 997.1 S manual(my own) and a 997.2 pdk... HP was similar and pdk is impressive but for us "old school" folks... I can't live w/o manual. I know the day will come when auto(pdk) will be required due to bad back, traffic, wife needs to drive me, etc... FWIW, wife will not drive the manual... I find that to be a plus so far. Drive both and get the car that pulls on your soul speed. It's different for each individual. I started 30 yrs ago with a MT car so can't get it out of my head even though the pdk is a faster shift... the connectivity between MT... the car and the driver is what I'm paying for. Heck, I don't even like the idea of e-steering with the new 991. GL and between .1 and .2 I don't think you can go wrong... but if you're getting a .1 why not go for the S since price is similar and S would get you better brakes, Sports Chrono, etc.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

DD Carrera 4S. 6 speed. 2007. 53000 mi. Taken care of exhaustively, but driven. Live in Hoboken and drive thru 1&9 traffic near Holland tunnel EVERY day. I get what your putting down...

I will retain the manual. It's a great problem to have. A little suffering goes a long way in terms of overall happiness. As w/ most things in life.

I'm sure your adept at driving and clutch work. Don't ride it. Don't beat it up. It will last. And YES, change oil every 5-6K since the oil acidifies w/ that degree of stop n go traffic.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Automatic Porsche vs. manual Porsche.

Automatic is fine for those who've tired of rowing, and have old knees.
If you're still young there's no point in not being connected to your transmission.
PDK cleverly uses software to make you think you are, the realism heightened by those well-placed paddles. But the computer is the executer, not the driver.

Also, the 997 is already a big car for a Carrera. Toss in automatic shifting and you're basically
in the grand touring category.

So do you want a sports coupe or a grand touring? That's the question.
Nothing wrong with either.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

I'm keeping my 997.1 instead of semi upgrade to 997.2. Thanks fellow RL's
Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 AM
FlyingFinn
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The sport chrono releases a whole new car, more horse power, crisper shifting and all kinds of goodies,
stiffer suspension etc etc. You will have to read further because the differences are quite lengthy.
Hi Oldguy,
I don't think the Sport Chrono option gives you more HP, it affects the suspension, the engine response when accelerating, but doesn't add any power per say.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by malexgcab
I'm keeping my 997.1 instead of semi upgrade to 997.2. Thanks fellow RL's
Good decision... you can just get Dectane tail lights for a LED upgrade of rear-end and bringing the look up to 2010 level. It does make a huge difference on updating the look.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Good decision... you can just get Dectane tail lights for a LED upgrade of rear-end and bringing the look up to 2010 level. It does make a huge difference on updating the look.
Great advice. I'm hesitant on aftermarket lights that might stop working later on.

Which is better Rotec v. dectane?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
nhodgson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDK all the way......I was a 'manual' kind of guy but.....holy pooh batman......
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

If you want a .2 with PDK, hold out for a car that has been taken care of better. There are plenty out there.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by malexgcab
Great advice. I'm hesitant on aftermarket lights that might stop working later on.

Which is better Rotec v. dectane?
They're both great, but Dectane gives a much more OEM look, while their brake light is a shape of C vs. full circle for OEM/Rotec.

I've had my Dectane for over a year and it's flawless, many times people think it's a 997.2, it seriously updates the look 10yrs. It does come with resistors included, so no error code or issues whatsoever.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK vs. 997.1 manual ???