997.2 PDK vs. 997.1 manual ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013 | 12:48 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by malexgcab
I'm keeping my 997.1 instead of semi upgrade to 997.2. Thanks fellow RL's
Good choice!

My '06 C2S 997.1 is perfect for me and I can't see myself in a 997.2 C2S PDK, it's just not enough of an upgrade. If and when I upgrade, it will probably be a 997.2 GT3 or GTS, or perhaps a used 991 S. Must be a manual. And exhaust note is important for me, one of the reasons a Turbo isn't high on my wishlist.

But my 997.1 has been very good to me and I lose no sleep over the IMSB. My car is about 7 years old and is solid as a rock. I intend to keep it for at least another 4-5 years.
Old 05-16-2013 | 12:53 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexb76
They're both great, but Dectane gives a much more OEM look, while their brake light is a shape of C vs. full circle for OEM/Rotec.

I've had my Dectane for over a year and it's flawless, many times people think it's a 997.2, it seriously updates the look 10yrs. It does come with resistors included, so no error code or issues whatsoever.
+1, had mine for a while too and absolutely love it, when I see a 997.1 w/o it, I just want to tell the owner to upgrade theirs.
Old 05-16-2013 | 01:22 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

If the PDK car had sports chrono, it would a no brainier in my opinion, but if you don't make use of this option any way, go for the newer car.

I like paddle shift, I've driven 996 with the old button shift (not brilliant but works), BMW X6 which I thought worked really well, V10 BMW M5 also worked really well and as a comparison I've just bought a 2001 V8 M5, of course this is a manual, love it, but have to say driving through the mountain passes, sometimes, the paddle shift wins, because it allows you to keep both hands on the wheel and quicker gear changes. With the manual, I've missed a gear, or need to change gear at a point where I could do with both hands on the wheel.
Maybe I just need to used to a manual again.
Also, have a Smart Brabus, with paddle shift and have to say that's real fun to drive around town.
Old 07-08-2013 | 07:29 PM
Redline911
Racer

I bought my 05 C2 manual when I moved out to LA in November. Since then it's been a blast, driving up through the mountains on the weekends is great. I've done a couple PCA drives and a few of my own too. Those canyon roads are what the 911 was made for, always puts a smile on my face.

However.....driving the other way (into LA) is awful. Trying to cross the 405 in the afternoons is brutal, or getting stuck on the 10. I'm at the point where I pretty much have given up on going east of the 405 in my car. We're taking my wife's Mercedes more and more because of the traffic. I'm almost at the point where my car sits 3 or 4 days in a row. So today I decided to check out a PDK car. I found a 2009 PDK C2 close by.

So my initial impressions of the PDK were not positive. To note, this car didn't have sport chrono and my manual car does. In regular driving it up shifts very quickly. I found the car in 6th or even 7th below 50 mph at times, when I would be in 3rd in my car. The problem with that is when I hit the gas it has to down shift 3 or 4 gears. I found the car trying to stay below 2k rpm's mostly. In manual mode it didn't seem to shift as fast as I thought it would. I'd floor it and hit the lever but it still didn't shift right away. There was a good delay, I though it would shift hard and firm right when I hit the button or lever.

I do feel that there is a learning curve to the PDK and I didn't have a ton of time to figure it out. The salesman with me knew nothing about the car or how to drive it. So my questions are:
1. Will a PDK car with sport chrono give me what I'm looking for?
2. Was I driving it wrong? Say if you want to shift at 7k RPM, do you hit the button at 6,500 so it will get to 7k when it shifts?

I'm willing to give it another try, but just didn't see the fuss on my drive today.
Old 07-08-2013 | 07:58 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Redline911
I bought my 05 C2 manual when I moved out to LA in November. Since then it's been a blast, driving up through the mountains on the weekends is great. I've done a couple PCA drives and a few of my own too. Those canyon roads are what the 911 was made for, always puts a smile on my face.

However.....driving the other way (into LA) is awful. Trying to cross the 405 in the afternoons is brutal, or getting stuck on the 10. I'm at the point where I pretty much have given up on going east of the 405 in my car. We're taking my wife's Mercedes more and more because of the traffic. I'm almost at the point where my car sits 3 or 4 days in a row. So today I decided to check out a PDK car. I found a 2009 PDK C2 close by.

So my initial impressions of the PDK were not positive. To note, this car didn't have sport chrono and my manual car does. In regular driving it up shifts very quickly. I found the car in 6th or even 7th below 50 mph at times, when I would be in 3rd in my car. The problem with that is when I hit the gas it has to down shift 3 or 4 gears. I found the car trying to stay below 2k rpm's mostly. In manual mode it didn't seem to shift as fast as I thought it would. I'd floor it and hit the lever but it still didn't shift right away. There was a good delay, I though it would shift hard and firm right when I hit the button or lever.

I do feel that there is a learning curve to the PDK and I didn't have a ton of time to figure it out. The salesman with me knew nothing about the car or how to drive it. So my questions are:
1. Will a PDK car with sport chrono give me what I'm looking for?
2. Was I driving it wrong? Say if you want to shift at 7k RPM, do you hit the button at 6,500 so it will get to 7k when it shifts?

I'm willing to give it another try, but just didn't see the fuss on my drive today.
Do not ever buy a 997.2 PDK w/o SC - its terrible. SC gives you 3 modes, normal, sport and sports plus. Without SC you get normal only and it is awful. I only drive my car in auto AND SC set to sport (when using auto) and if i use manual which BTW is most of the time, I set SC to sport plus. That way it is the most responsive.
Old 07-08-2013 | 08:12 PM
Redline911
Racer

Originally Posted by rodsky
Do not ever buy a 997.2 PDK w/o SC - its terrible. SC gives you 3 modes, normal, sport and sports plus. Without SC you get normal only and it is awful. I only drive my car in auto AND SC set to sport (when using auto) and if i use manual which BTW is most of the time, I set SC to sport plus. That way it is the most responsive.
Thanks rodsky,
I was looking for a way to adjust the PDK and didn't see anything. I though that SC added launch control, didn't realize you also need it for sport and sport + modes. I'll try to find a PDK car with SC and give it another go.
Old 07-08-2013 | 09:50 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

FYI you can add the sport/sport plus modes after the fact. So buying a PDK without it is permissible!

I added it to mine and it definitely improves the car 100%. Expensive but very worthwhile addon.
Old 07-08-2013 | 09:57 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DerekS
FYI you can add the sport/sport plus modes after the fact. So buying a PDK without it is permissible!

I added it to mine and it definitely improves the car 100%. Expensive but very worthwhile addon.
Yes - you can do this too. In fact, some people prefer the dash "clean" without the "wart". So you can get the SC functionality without the clock. I happen to like the "wart" and I use it to amuse my kids.
Old 07-08-2013 | 11:03 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

PDK with SC is a must and a different animal. I love it!!!
Old 07-08-2013 | 11:17 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

went from a .1S manual to a .2S PDK. Its a COMPLETELY different animal. its far from a semi upgrade. the PDK is incredible. Its great in city driving and it really shines on the track. the DFI engine seems to be more eager to rev and more torquey. The electronics are night and day... Yes I do miss rev matched down shifts but given the traffic and its performance on the track, I will live w/o that for now.
Old 07-09-2013 | 01:25 AM
Jackson22
Instructor

Originally Posted by PasPar2
went from a .1S manual to a .2S PDK. Its a COMPLETELY different animal. its far from a semi upgrade. the PDK is incredible. Its great in city driving and it really shines on the track. the DFI engine seems to be more eager to rev and more torquey. The electronics are night and day... Yes I do miss rev matched down shifts but given the traffic and its performance on the track, I will live w/o that for now.

+1!
Old 07-09-2013 | 02:14 AM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Good choice!

My '06 C2S 997.1 is perfect for me and I can't see myself in a 997.2 C2S PDK, it's just not enough of an upgrade. If and when I upgrade, it will probably be a 997.2 GT3 or GTS, or perhaps a used 991 S. Must be a manual. And exhaust note is important for me, one of the reasons a Turbo isn't high on my wishlist.

But my 997.1 has been very good to me and I lose no sleep over the IMSB. My car is about 7 years old and is solid as a rock. I intend to keep it for at least another 4-5 years.
Old 07-09-2013 | 10:54 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

PDK with SC is a must and a different animal. I love it!!!
Without it it is way too docile, and hard to provoke. So just look for a wart on the dash and try it out.
Old 07-09-2013 | 01:30 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

If you find a car you like that lacks the wart, please do not let this deter you. The upgrade is easy to obtain!

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997236per
Old 07-09-2013 | 07:40 PM
Redline911
Racer

Originally Posted by DerekS
If you find a car you like that lacks the wart, please do not let this deter you. The upgrade is easy to obtain!

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997236per
So $1,200 for the software and "sport button" plus 2-3 hours of labor at the dealer. That could run $350 to $500. I think it's not likely you'd find a car with other desirable options like adaptive sport seat and full leather, and that car wouldn't have SC. I'd really think you'd only find non-SC cars as pretty stripped down, low optioned cars (like the one I drove yesterday).

BTW what's the difference between Sport and Sport Plus, was this an additional option, or will all SC cars have both modes?

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK vs. 997.1 manual ???