997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK vs. 997.1 manual ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013 | 08:52 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

All SC cars have sport and sport plus. Sport plus and auto is only for track use. Holds in lowest possible gear, so only shifts at redline. Useful for extracting best possible lap time without manual shifting. Sport plus and manual is cool. Sharpest response, most violent gear changes, etc. I like this mode. If you must use auto, use sport.
Old 07-10-2013 | 12:37 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

I agree with rodsky, Sport Plus is really about going "flat out" and it's way too aggressive to use around town.

Sport mode does have harder shifts and makes the car a lot more lively!
Old 07-10-2013 | 10:34 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Redline911
Thanks rodsky,
I was looking for a way to adjust the PDK and didn't see anything. I though that SC added launch control, didn't realize you also need it for sport and sport + modes. I'll try to find a PDK car with SC and give it another go.
I'd be happy to show you a proper sport chrono PDK in my GTS. you will change your opinion, no doubt. Just be ready to fall in love.
Old 07-11-2013 | 11:18 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Actually, SC does not add any power, just re maps the tranny shift points & makes the e-gas more responsive. Sport mode is useable in daily driving albeit a bit aggressive, but Sport Plus is "only" for track use. SC also gives you launch control, again, a track useable feature only. I just traded my '07 C4s X51 for a '10 C2s Pdk that is loaded. The 997.2 is more refined, LEDs, DTRL, optioned w PDCLs, and the PCM Nav is amazing. Also like the taller side mirrors. For me, it was a choice to make wife happy (she hated the stiff clutch, why can't you get hydraulic like the TT?), and the Sport seats were too hard to get out of for her! After 5 days, I made the right decision. Just wish I could of kept the GT3 wheels! GL w decision. Both are sweet
Old 07-11-2013 | 02:40 PM
Redline911
Racer

Originally Posted by fbfisher
I'd be happy to show you a proper sport chrono PDK in my GTS. you will change your opinion, no doubt. Just be ready to fall in love.
If you're serious I'll take you up on that. And your GTS is for sale too? Extremely tempting.
Old 12-26-2013 | 09:26 AM
Boatnik
3rd Gear

Any opinions about a 6spd manual without SC on a 997.2?
Old 12-26-2013 | 10:16 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Boatnik, feel free to start your own thread on this but from reading up back when I was shopping, SC on manual remaps the throttle and does little more. I dont think its important on a manual.
Old 12-26-2013 | 12:10 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Actually, SC does not add any power, just re maps the tranny shift points & makes the e-gas more responsive. Sport mode is useable in daily driving albeit a bit aggressive, but Sport Plus is "only" for track use. SC also gives you launch control, again, a track useable feature only. I just traded my '07 C4s X51 for a '10 C2s Pdk that is loaded. The 997.2 is more refined, LEDs, DTRL, optioned w PDCLs, and the PCM Nav is amazing. Also like the taller side mirrors. For me, it was a choice to make wife happy (she hated the stiff clutch, why can't you get hydraulic like the TT?), and the Sport seats were too hard to get out of for her! After 5 days, I made the right decision. Just wish I could of kept the GT3 wheels! GL w decision. Both are sweet
is there a difference in clutches between models? I have the X51 and recently had the clutch bled... and I don't find the clutch all that stiff, but that is subjective...please let me know if I am unaware(again) of another of this car's whatevers, thanks.kk
Old 12-26-2013 | 12:29 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

I would go with the 2010 PDK model.
My 2009 C4S is my DD and as long as the roads are free I have the PDK in manual and shift with the paddles (why anyone would think this is less fun than a stick eludes me). But when I hit traffic I go back to auto mode and it's seriously the best of both worlds

And just to put a little more oil into the flames of the PDK vs. manual discussion.
There is a great summary by David Donohue on page 62 of the Nov Excellence Magazine.

He prefers the PDK over the manual tranny and summarizes it like this:

He described 3 schools of thought on PDK, which one are you (I am #3)

1) The Enthusiastic Newcomers: people are new to the sport or just haven't mastered the heel-toe downshift or shifting in general; they enjoy driving like any car fan, but can't reach their ultimate potential in a manual car.

2) The Diehard Traditionalists: people who not only love to drive but love the whole process; they enjoy the "control" aspect; they enjoy the "exclusivity" of having the skill to master driving with 3 pedals.

3) The Phlegmatic Thrill Seekers: people who can heel-toe without a thought and therefore do not get huge satisfaction from doing it; they enjoy the driving experience just like the other 2 groups, but don't get all worked up about the process; they tend to look at new approaches and evaluate them at face value.
Old 12-26-2013 | 04:57 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

or option 4) Those of us who started out driving MT, grew up with MT, enjoy driving MT(BTW, to each his own), and compromised at one point or another to accommodate their "better half"/wifey by owning a "sports car" with an AT(called by many differing names by differing auto makers over the years but an AT by any other name is still an AT) and swore against ever doing it again. FWIW, PDK is the best AT(PorscheDoppelKupplunggetriebe... 29 character nomenclature) I've ever driven but after test driving it vs. a MT Carrera the MT side of my brain just took over and insisted on rowing the gears again... it was easier than I thought to make the choice. I suspect, however, that my DD is different than most... working out of home one week and flying out every other week for meetings elsewhere = very little time dealing with bumper to bumper traffic. I anticipate that as my back starts to go and shifting becomes a painful endeavor that PDK would certainly be a welcomed option... though I might keep my "old school" C2S MT (a fine example of a MT sports car) and get another Carrera with PDK at that point. I would agree partially with #2... like golf I find my MT skills on a journey towards constant refinement and especially when I change the clutch or remap the ECU. Once again I'm re-calibrating the guy behind the steering wheel to those changes made to the car. A process that provides me with moments of joy when I hit it right and moments of angst when I'm off... much like golf. I suppose that makes me a handicapped par MT driver. Seamless heal-toe still eludes me but I find pleasure in the pursuit of perfecting it. To each his own but IMHO I wouldn't give up this aspect of driving enjoyment for the sake of the car doing all this for me. After all I still find pleasure in executing that part of the human/machine interaction too much to give it up right now... In fact, I just found an excuse to row those gears again... What a great way to enjoy the day. Happy Holidays to all. We're all fortunate to own one of these fine p-cars in what ever flavor they may be(MT, AT, or PDK). Don't forget to enjoy the ride folks.

As an aside:
MT still appears to be standard in Europe... the four or five times I've rented a car in EMEA Hertz gave me a MT car in Ireland, Germany, and Switzerland. Of all these countries Ireland was the most interesting... right hand drive with MT on the left side of the road. Opposite from the USA but very doable. Of course, my wife complimented me on how well I was driving around Ireland(translation - didn't hit anything nor anyone) during that trip but you guessed it... I stalled the clutch/fuel action no more than 30 sec later just to prove her wrong. It was our last night there and we were no more than 1 km away from our hotel...Go figure. On the plus side I discovered how patient the other motorist were on the roads there. Great trip... I would highly recommend renting a car to enjoy the gorgeous Irish countryside if you happen to end up in that part of the world driving on the other side of the road... legally for once - JK.
Old 12-27-2013 | 05:28 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Redline911
If you're serious I'll take you up on that. And your GTS is for sale too? Extremely tempting.
Offer still stands, I return from Catalina Sunday. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. PM me and we can connect, unless you've pulled the trigger already and I missed that too.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK vs. 997.1 manual ???