Big Gains from Fabspeed Headers - 997S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big Gains from Fabspeed Headers - 997S

Hi All,

Wanted to share with you this dyno chart of a car we recently had in the shop, a bone stock 997S with PSE. We are continuously looking for ways we can improve our products and these latest 997 headers are a testament to that, they are simply awesome and blow X51 headers out of the water. See attached dyno chart below, the gains of 30 ft. lbs & 23 hp to the wheels at 4000 rpm are just from the headers alone.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

.1 and .2?

price?

any difference/change to PSE exhaust note?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
.1 and .2?

price?

any difference/change to PSE exhaust note?
The above graph is a 997.1 3.8 liter S car. There are very nice gains with the .2's, but the stock exhaust configuration is different, so our 997.2 headers have HJS 200 Cell sport cats incorporated, which increases the price to $2,795.

997.1 Sport headers are $1,695 but we offer a 5% discount to Rennlist members.

The PSE equipped car was slightly louder under full throttle with our sport headers and the rest of the system stock. It did change the note for the better as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Impressive results. Why does the standard headers dyno run start at 1800 RPM and the Fabspeed headers dyno run start at 2150 RPM?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Impressive results. Why does the standard headers dyno run start at 1800 RPM and the Fabspeed headers dyno run start at 2150 RPM?

The dyno runs start at the push of a button, so the procedure is, get the rpms where you want them, push the button to start "sampling", then floor the throttle. The operator just pushed the button at a slightly different rpm, that's all.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Chris, really big gains. I'd imagine many on the board might be skeptical.

5 thru 10 plus hp being a more normal range. Any details on new improvements, tube size and is there consistency across multiple cars. I've viewed your videos and these are well done.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely skeptical. I have your catless x pipe and on your site it says, "Fabspeed X-pipe catbypass will improve low-end torque and mid-range power dramatically."
But I've definitely noticed a dramatic loss in low end torque and every post I've read with those who have your catless x pipe say the same and all of these posts are never responded to. There are even dyno results posted by members showing big losses. I'd be very curious to know how you guys gathered data showing dramatic increases in low end torque with a catless x pipe

Those are indeed amazing numbers just from replacing the headers, but you'll have to forgive me if I'm not completely sold on the integrity of your company
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Chris, really big gains. I'd imagine many on the board might be skeptical.

5 thru 10 plus hp being a more normal range. Any details on new improvements, tube size and is there consistency across multiple cars. I've viewed your videos and these are well done.
Trust me when I say we were surprised by the results as well. But below is another chart showing multiple stock runs, and multiple runs with headers only. You can see, the gains are consistent.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Hindsight2010 (11-09-2019)
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carnerd
Definitely skeptical. I have your catless x pipe and on your site it says, "Fabspeed X-pipe catbypass will improve low-end torque and mid-range power dramatically."
But I've definitely noticed a dramatic loss in low end torque and every post I've read with those who have your catless x pipe say the same and all of these posts are never responded to. There are even dyno results posted by members showing big losses. I'd be very curious to know how you guys gathered data showing dramatic increases in low end torque with a catless x pipe

Those are indeed amazing numbers just from replacing the headers, but you'll have to forgive me if I'm not completely sold on the integrity of your company
The X-pipe gains vary from engine to engine - for example the 3.4 liter 996 does not respond the same as the 3.8 997S with DI. The car that the current generation of X-pipes was developed on was a 3.8 DI 997S and that car did pick up a lot of midrange torque (20+ ft. lbs at the wheels). Tunes that alter cam timing also affect how well the X-pipe works in the low & mid range. If you want to pm me info about your car I will see if I can help.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 76 Posts

Color me skeptical also as it simply seems incredulous that a header design alone can yield such results. Especially when reputable competitors pouring the same sort of resources and effort have not produced such results in the 8 years the 997 has been around.

As a point of reference, AWE (whom I think we all agree produce reputable results) only claim 28-31 torque and 28-39 HP at the CRANK with their combo of header/cats/muffler. Your claiming fairly similar numbers at the WHEELS with only a header alone. Something in my mind doesn't add up.

Not saying it's flat out false, but I personally would need more evidence to be convinced.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AWay
Color me skeptical also as it simply seems incredulous that a header design alone can yield such results. Especially when reputable competitors pouring the same sort of resources and effort have not produced such results in the 8 years the 997 has been around.

As a point of reference, AWE (whom I think we all agree produce reputable results) only claim 28-31 torque and 28-39 HP at the CRANK with their combo of header/cats/muffler. Your claiming fairly similar numbers at the WHEELS with only a header alone. Something in my mind doesn't add up.

Not saying it's flat out false, but I personally would need more evidence to be convinced.
The awe gains you are quoting are their published peak gains with their full system. Our headers alone only increase peak HP by 6 to the wheels, and 18 ft. lbs peak to the wheels. But, as I have shown above, there are big mid range gains with just Fabspeed Sport Headers alone. We'd be happy to do a before & after on another customer's 997.1 S if they'd like to purchase a set of these headers.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you claim it blows X51 headers out the water with no evidence? That's false advertising!

To make such a claim you need to test against X51 headers otherwise it's just false advertising.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gibbo
How can you claim it blows X51 headers out the water with no evidence? That's false advertising!

To make such a claim you need to test against X51 headers otherwise it's just false advertising.
Because we tested the X51 headers....
Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
Because we tested the X51 headers....
So let's see the results then, same car, same day, same dyno, your headers vs X51 headers.

Otherwise you can't make such a claim!

So far all you've proved is that your headers perform better than the stock restrictive 3.8 c2s headers in this thread, nowhere have you backed up your claim of them blowing X51 headers out the water, so let's see the results please.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have any pics of the header. I'm curious about the design. Are you using long pipes, is it a Y configuration, 63.5mm pipes or larger? Was the dyno done on a stock car with unaltered ECU plus the header only? What makes it unique/capable of producing such high numbers. What type of dyno are you using? TIA

Quick Reply: Big Gains from Fabspeed Headers - 997S