997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newest you can afford, or fastest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013 | 01:21 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Default Newest you can afford, or fastest?

I've been lurking for awhile and am getting close to pulling the trigger, however I have a question for those of you who recommend buying the newest car you can afford. While I generally agree with this, what about when comparing between two different trim levels, i.e. do I get a newer Carrera, or an "S" model two years older, or for that matter a turbo model two years older than that? As this will be my first P-car and one that I will likely keep for awhile (my S500 is now 13 years old and still runs awesome), I want to make sure I get a car that's going to be fun to drive for many years. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2013 | 01:58 AM
n1gels
Racer

I'm new to P-car ownership but my recommendation is to test drive a few different models. I changed my mind 3 times, working up from a Cayman S, to an older Carrera S to a newer S. They were all great, but test driving them and comparing performance and specifications was essential in narrowing down what I wanted. After I'd figured out what age and specification I wanted, it was simply a matter of waiting for the right car to come on the market. Many P-cars are second or third cars and have lower than average mileage, so mileage is less of an issue, especially if you tend to keep your it for a long time like your S500. More important is how well the car was maintained and treated by its previous owner(s). An older well treated car may be a better bet than a newer one that's been mistreated. Get a DME report and a PPI.

Good luck! They're all fantastic cars. Whatever you get, you're going to love it!
Old 02-23-2013 | 02:02 AM
Lurgee
Intermediate

I would pick a trim first and then buy the newest you can afford of that trim. Most here will agree that the extra money for an "S" is worth it.

Of course you should test drive the different trims you are considering before you decide as well.
Old 02-23-2013 | 02:19 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Newest you can afford within the same model. Since there are comprising aspects between all models.
Old 02-23-2013 | 02:29 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
I've been lurking for awhile and am getting close to pulling the trigger, however I have a question for those of you who recommend buying the newest car you can afford. While I generally agree with this, what about when comparing between two different trim levels, i.e. do I get a newer Carrera, or an "S" model two years older, or for that matter a turbo model two years older than that? As this will be my first P-car and one that I will likely keep for awhile (my S500 is now 13 years old and still runs awesome), I want to make sure I get a car that's going to be fun to drive for many years. Thanks!
Test drive all then zero in on the best price/performance you can get/afford and like the most. Personally, I like to mod so I went for the lastest C2S with enough left ($10K-$15K) in my budget to fill my need for aftermarket and Porsche add-on afterwards. GL and I don't think you can go wrong with which every Carrera you go with.
Old 02-23-2013 | 10:40 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

I agree with everyone else, I went Newest for sure after all my test drives, I just bought a 2010 C2S with only 3000 miles. Condition meant a lot to me as well as the car having the options I wanted. I started off wanting to order a 2013 Boxster S, then thought about a 997 Cabrio, in the end after Test Drives I went with a Coupe.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2013 | 10:57 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

I recently pulled the trigger (Jan 4) on a 2010 C4S Cab after shopping for a very long time. Like you, I normally keep my cars a long time. I had owned a Boxster S for 10 years but always had wanted a 911. My point is that you need to determine what is important to "you" and make sure you get it. From a price point, I had my mind set that the best value for my was probably a 2006 911S. However, after reviewing this forum and checking out many cars, my direction changed that the minimum for me was a 2009 911S. My friends told me that I must get the new 991 which I had seriously considered. My 2010 C4S Cab was loaded with every option and I do not regret getting it as I know I have everything I want.

Good luck with your purchase decision.
Old 02-23-2013 | 12:54 PM
bigfish1
AutoX

I think the newest car you can afford is the best way to go. For example i chose a 09 911 non s highly optioned car over a 08 s model with less options and a few more miles for the same money. The non s actually has more power with the engine change. For me it came down to budget. Just something to think about. Now a 997s , well that would be the cats meow!
Old 02-23-2013 | 01:06 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Agree with the posts so far...test drive everything you might be interested in.
Look at all the trim levels.
Find out what particular model 'speaks to you' and what options are important to you.

When I pulled the trigger (last April) I was looking specifically for a 2007 CS Coupe. The wife and I test drove countless Carrera examples over a 2 day period. We ended up getting a very low mileage 2006 C4S Cabriolet!
Old 02-23-2013 | 01:17 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n1gels
I'm new to P-car ownership but my recommendation is to test drive a few different models. I changed my mind 3 times, working up from a Cayman S, to an older Carrera S to a newer S. They were all great, but test driving them and comparing performance and specifications was essential in narrowing down what I wanted. After I'd figured out what age and specification I wanted, it was simply a matter of waiting for the right car to come on the market. Many P-cars are second or third cars and have lower than average mileage, so mileage is less of an issue, especially if you tend to keep your it for a long time like your S500. More important is how well the car was maintained and treated by its previous owner(s). An older well treated car may be a better bet than a newer one that's been mistreated. Get a DME report and a PPI.

Good luck! They're all fantastic cars. Whatever you get, you're going to love it!
Great advice.

Good maintenance and no stories are keys. While the newer 997s are further evolved, keep a disciplined eye on your budget. One can easily throw $15k to $20k at a newer car or highly optioned car that doesn't really deliver much more if anything. These cars are all quick for the street and the driving experience matters most.

Is there a killer option? Hard to say. Maybe pasm, full leather or PDK if you don't want a manual.

The turbo is a different story. If you love speed/thrust and the assurance of dusting 99.7% of the cars in the next lane, get the turbo. It's a different thought process.
Old 02-23-2013 | 01:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Much of this depends on intended use of the car... I don't track for example, but I do drive the canyons in SoCal a lot. I opted for a non-s 997.2, when I was shopping at the time, 1 1/2 years ago, my price range for CPO cars was base .2 or S .1. I drove both, the .2 base was just as strong as the .1 S, and maybe a bit more refined than the .1, plus I liked the fact no IMS on the .2. I also like low-optioned cars, and options should be performance oriented only. The non-s .2 is more than fast enough to get you into a ton of trouble on the street. So, no regrets.
Old 02-23-2013 | 01:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

If finances are an overriding concern, don't compare a Carrera, Carrera S and a Turbo in the same formula. They each have their own factors to consider--with the Turbo the most expensive later to maintain. Buying used means you will have to factor in maintenance earlier than buying new. (You can never be sure what the guy(s) before you did to the car). Don't get in over your head. If you are new to Porsche you need to understand that they like to use up tires--particularly rear tires. It's normal. But don't shortchange yourself with cheaper tire brands to save $500. The top line tires will feel considerably different on your Porsche, because a Porsche is all about the suspension and that suspension working with top brand tires. If you resort to always thinking about money with the car you will be at a serious disadvantage. Buy what you can comfortably afford, but be sure to budget for repairs and consumables.
Old 02-23-2013 | 02:54 PM
zer026T
Pro

Bought my first Porsche last year after looking at numerous 996 cars. Found an amazing 997.1 non S in my dream color combination. Honestly this is more car than I will ever need and is equipped with all the standard S options. Previous owner even made some tasteful cosmetic changes to appear more like an S (tailpipes, painted rotors, 997.2 S wheels all done at the dealer). It was a 20 year long dream of mine to own a Porsche, and despite it not being an "S" I have no regrets. This car puts an ear-to-ear smile on my face, and adrenalin in my blood every time I hop behind the wheel
Old 02-23-2013 | 03:32 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Decide on the model you really want (e.g. S, GTS, Turbo, GT3, RS etc.), then buy the newest you can afford.
Old 02-23-2013 | 08:17 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I went over budget so I got no advice for you other than using the porsche.com used car finder if you haven't used it yet. That's where I found my car. Just wishing you some good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: Newest you can afford, or fastest?