Sponsored by:

997.2 Spark Plug DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
God bless your patience, @Bruce In Philly.

Totally noob question, but what size socket did you use to remove the spark plugs themselves? Was that a 3/8ths?

Thx!

Bob
3/8 is the normal ratchet size. As forspark plugs ...

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Porsche plugs are 5/8.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 10:24 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
3/8 is the normal ratchet size. As forspark plugs ...

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Porsche plugs are 5/8.
Perfect, @Wayne Smith . Thanks so much.

Bob
Old 10-05-2020, 03:41 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Perfect, @Wayne Smith . Thanks so much.

Bob
Something like this GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive 6 Pt. 5/8" x 6" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket - 80546 by Amazon.com
Amazon Amazon

has been essential or almost fun to use. Nice smooth swivel for all odd angles in the engine bay and a nice magnetic action to help extract the plug or hold it in place as you carefully thread it between all the obstructions around the spark plug hole.

Last edited by loungin; 10-05-2020 at 03:42 AM.
VT Blue (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin
Something like this GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive 6 Pt. 5/8" x 6" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket - 80546 by Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014ZVSVK..._k8REFbRHMPZJ3

has been essential or almost fun to use. Nice smooth swivel for all odd angles in the engine bay and a nice magnetic action to help extract the plug or hold it in place as you carefully thread it between all the obstructions around the spark plug hole.
Thanx man! I just ordered this. Will use this Wednesday. I was taping my socket to a small extender. If you don't tape it, you could pull the extender out of the socket and now have to somehow fish the thing out of plug hole. My socket uses a foam/rubber insert to grip the top of the plug so it is very easy to pop the extender out of the Craftsman socket.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

OK ... I am weak. Do I have enough spark plug sockets? Of course. Did I need to order another socket? Absolutely not. But there is a little space in the top tray of one of my tool boxes ... and I'll need to replace my plugs again in just another 24K miles!!!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:39 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin
Something like this GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive 6 Pt. 5/8" x 6" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket - 80546 by Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014ZVSVK..._k8REFbRHMPZJ3

That's perfect @loungin...thanks for the link.

Thx!

Bob × ×
Old 10-06-2020, 10:52 AM
evo9
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been watching these spark plug DIY threads for a while. Planning to change spark plugs and coils on my 2010 C2S w/ 48K miles for first time in coming weeks.

Thank you to all of you for posting helpful tools, process to use, etc.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evo9
I've been watching these spark plug DIY threads for a while. Planning to change spark plugs and coils on my 2010 C2S w/ 48K miles for first time in coming weeks.

Thank you to all of you for posting helpful tools, process to use, etc.
They will creak and stick when removing them. You will pray to seven different gods in the process. Remember to chant this mantra ... It will be OK ...

That and you may want to make a token sacrifice before you begin.

But seriously ... Removing the plugs is unnerving. Just hang in there. It will be a gratifying experience.

Oh, and after removing the plugs you will debate the use of anti seize with yourself. Go with the pro tips ... Don't.
Floyd540 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 161K miles

Completed my 4th plug and serp belt change (40, 80, 120, 160K)..... what I found.

1 - A lower heat shield was rotting... see pic below. I am not going to do anything about it until next plug change at 200K miles unless it starts to vibrate
2 - Cylindar 6 appears fine... I was worried about it... please review the borescope vid below and comment please
C - Ignition coils are original and look totally fine.
4 - I had a hell of a time getting the parking sensor plug back together..... I have no idea why, it would not snap.. would not get close. About 1 hour before I hooked it back up, I shot some MAF cleaner in there.. I do that to all my plugs to clear any corrosion... maybe it make the little orange/purple sponge seal in there swell. So, I took some rubber/silicon dressing, dipped a toothpick in it, and applied it to that swollen seal for lubrication. It worked.

Why I was worried about Cylinder 6... see my post from my last plug change here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-is-this.html When I did that plug change, a big blob of carbon powder fell out of the hole and the plug did not look like the others... oh oh... So I was worried when I pulled this plug the other night. Result? The plug looked exactly like the others! Whew.... and no carbon falling out. So I went ahead and borescoped it. I was still worried as my oil usage has crept up a bit.... from 1.25 quart every 5K miles to maybe 1.5-1.75 quarts... but it is so hard to know as my measurements are not really good .... hashes on the side of the bottles. My Blackstone oil analyses are coming out fine. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16938611

Borescope: First, I f'd up the scoping so I did not get a view of the cylinder walls. Why? I am a real live dope. First, I purchased this cheapie scope on Amazon three years ago, never used it, and Chinese maker, Distianert no longer supports it. So I wasted a solid hour dicking with it to get that video below. The scope came with a 45 degree mirror you snap on to the end. Well, the mirror was not clear... all foggy. I cleaned and polished it with window cleaner... rubbed like hell... I could not get a clear image through it. So I finally gave up. I was about to crack a thin mirror and glue on a piece of good glass, but then I thought what may happen if it dropped off in there. So it was getting late and buttoned up the car. Why am I a dope? Well this morning I was cleaning up to throw it away... and I realized it had a plastic film on the mirror. CRAP! No chit, you can not make this stuff up. I rubbed like hell and it did not roll up. I really thought it was just a piece of crap. Oh well.... I am NOT going to pull that thing apart again just to scope it again. If I need to pull the mufflers off for another reason, I will do it then.

The BAD: What I found on the piston crown. I will say.... the crown on this piston did not look like the others. It had way more of that "white" stuff than any of the others... it did look differently. BTW, I just returned from a 2,100 mile trip so the engine had a week-long Italian tuneup.

See this thread here for how I turned the piston to bottom dead center: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-engine-2.html

Top Tip: You can remove your bumper yourself without help. I placed two trashcans on either side of me and lifted it up onto them... this allowed me to free my hands to disconnect the parking sensor plug.
Comments on the scope?

Read here about my gas mileage on that 2100 mile trip: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...61k-miles.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Rust on the heat shield - I stuff a shop towel in there to keep the coil screws from dropping down into hell.

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-08-2020 at 11:16 PM.
VT Blue (10-10-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,539 Likes on 4,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 161K miles

Completed my 4th plug and serp belt change (40, 80, 120, 160K)..... what I found.

1 - A lower heat shield was rotting... see pic below. I am not going to do anything about it until next plug change at 200K miles unless it starts to vibrate
2 - Cylindar 6 appears fine... I was worried about it... please review the borescope vid below and comment please
C - Ignition coils are original and look totally fine.

Why I was worried about Cylinder 6... see my post from my last plug change here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-is-this.html When I did that plug change, a big blob of carbon powder fell out of the hole and the plug did not look like the others... oh oh... So I was worried when I pulled this plug the other night. Result? The plug looked exactly like the others! Whew.... and no carbon falling out. So I went ahead and borescoped it. I was still worried as my oil usage has crept up a bit.... from 1.25 quart every 5K miles to maybe 1.5-1.75 quarts... but it is so hard to know as my measurements are not really good .... hashes on the side of the bottles. My Blackstone oil analyses are coming out fine. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16938611

Borescope: First, I f'd up the scoping so I did not get a view of the cylinder walls. Why? I am a real live dope. First, I purchased this cheapie scope on Amazon three years ago, never used it, and Chinese maker, Distianert no longer supports it. So I wasted a solid hour dicking with it to get that video below. The scope came with a 45 degree mirror you snap on to the end. Well, the mirror was not clear... all foggy. I cleaned and polished it with window cleaner... rubbed like hell... I could not get a clear image through it. So I finally gave up. I was about to crack a thin mirror and glue on a piece of good glass, but then I thought what may happen if it dropped off in there. So it was getting late and buttoned up the car. Why am I a dope? Well this morning I was cleaning up to throw it away... and I realized it had a plastic film on the mirror. CRAP! No chit, you can not make this stuff up. I rubbed like hell and it did not roll up. I really thought it was just a piece of crap. Oh well.... I am NOT going to pull that thing apart again just to scope it again. If I need to pull the mufflers off for another reason, I will do it then.

The BAD: What I found on the piston crown. I will say.... the crown on this piston did not look like the others. It had way more of that "white" stuff than any of the others... it did look differently. BTW, I just returned from a 2,100 mile trip so the engine had a week-long Italian tuneup.

See this thread here for how I turned the piston to bottom dead center: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-engine-2.html

Comments on the scope?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Rust on the heat shield - I stuff a shop towel in there to keep the coil screws from dropping down into hell.

https://youtu.be/gPBj1ZASi0s
Bruce, do you by chance use any sort of fuel stabilizer. The tops of my pistons have that same stuff on them and don't know what it is. Was it only on one of yours?

Old 10-08-2020, 10:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Pete,

No fuel stabilizers. I used to run a big bottle of Techron in there right before an oil change.... but have not done it in ... 20K miles or so???

This piston looked different than the rest.... but the others were the same, just this one had more.

Puzzling.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-08-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:01 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 545 Posts

Did you scope the rest of the cylinders? If I remember correctly, cylinder 1 was most likely to score in a 9A1.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:06 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Hey Bruce, your video says 2000 C2S at the beginning, not a big deal but just to let you know. Hope the white stuff is not a big issue and really glad your #6 cylinder wall is ok.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:23 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

FWIW the heat shields come off easily with the mufflers on and only cylinders 1 and 4 plugs are troublesome with the mufflers in situ.

So scoping cylinder 6 shouldn't be too bad.

The bad news? Modern plugs have an anti seize plating on them so you shouldn't use anti seize. But that coating is one time only use. So if you pull the plug on cylinder 6 you'll want a new plug ready to go back in that hole.

I've pulled the bumper (without plugs for park assist) on my own. Didn't think about needing a second set of hands. Good thinking with the garbage cans. Am I missing something? I didn't see any advantage to pulling the bumper off since all the surrounding heat shields were still in the way.

I believe cylinder 6 is last in line for coolant. Just wondering if that has something to do with the top of the piston ... Gas burning hotter???

Thanks for the write up and share!!!
Old 10-09-2020, 09:09 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Could be ash from burned oil coal. Check https://cdn2.ms-motorservice.com/fil...eben_51711.pdf as well. Your spark should also look different to the others. I would not worry too much, especially since the cylinder wall is obviously okay.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Spark Plug DIY