997.2 Spark Plug DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 AM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrayling
Great job on the plugs and coils !

I wish there was a DIY out there for doing the full coolant flush. Getting all of the old coolant out of the lines and radiators appears to be a challenge.

I didnt get it all, i did not hook up an air compressor for the same reason you mentioned, lack of good DIY info...
Old 08-04-2019, 08:32 AM
strickrn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great video.

Thank you. Whose the pioneer now!!??
Old 08-04-2019, 05:40 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jdubdds24
Where do the PSE lines go?! Specifically the driver side one...
Sorry - I only pulled the line off the valve located on the muffler. I didn't trace it back to the engine.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Didn't want to make a new thread (I tend to make too many threads lol) but I'm about to do plugs and coils and I'm installing a Fister exhaust at the same time. Any tips? Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? 64k miles on a 997.2 C4s. Thanks in advance!!

PS - I might go "Live" in youtube when I do this. The camera angles might now always be great, but who knows, maybe it would be interesting!!

Last edited by snaphappy; 08-18-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:41 PM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Just have fun. Only tip i have is that every time i took a piece off the car, i put all the nuts/bolts/clips in a ziplock bag and wrote on the bag with sharpie what it went to. Made the job so much easier, for several reasons, 1. I always had all the parts and pieces and didnt lose anything, 2. I didnt forget to bolt everything in properly because I had all the pieces, 3. it made me not stress as much because it was organized, vs having a huge pile of hardware and stuff strewn all about and getting stressed then second guessing yourself. I thought it was a fun job, plus I spent the whole day in the garage and away from my visiting mother in law...
The following users liked this post:
snaphappy (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 10:30 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Didn't want to make a new thread (I tend to make too many threads lol) but I'm about to do plugs and coils and I'm installing a Filter exhaust at the same time. Any tips? Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? 64k miles on a 997.2 C4s. Thanks in advance!!

PS - I might go "Live" in youtube when I do this. The camera angles might now always be great, but who knows, maybe it would be interesting!!
Here’s a tip: Remove the rear bumper. It’s not that hard and you’ll find everything much more accessible. When you put the bumper back on, remember to reconnect the license plate light connection. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:30 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Ok guys, here's a little video I made that will hopefully help big noobs like me. This is just Step 1 and shows which bolts to presoak overnight. Let me know how I did!! Is there anything else I should be presoaking?

Old 08-18-2019, 10:45 PM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Great video! But when I did it I didnt have to mess with those bolts at all. Just took the mufflers out by themselves, i think it was 4 bolts for each side and that was it.

Edit: I see why you did it though, you were installing the Fisters!
Old 08-18-2019, 11:15 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Great video! But when I did it I didnt have to mess with those bolts at all. Just took the mufflers out by themselves, i think it was 4 bolts for each side and that was it.

Edit: I see why you did it though, you were installing the Fisters!
So for just plugs, none of these bolts need to be removed? I used post number two from this thread as reference. I haven't replace the spark plugs yet. I knew the bolts needed to soak overnight - so presoaking is all I've done so far.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 PM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Yes correct, if you look at the video i made (yes its terrible), go to the 6:20-ish mark... there are 4 bolts, 2 on each muffler bracket. One bracket is on the rear, one bracket is accessible through the wheel well. Then you loosen the two bolts on the center muffler collar. They were all fairly easy to get off. I had one bolt break but I didnt have to let anything soak.

I will say that I removed the entire rear bumper, heat shields, impact bar etc...i just wanted it to be an easy install. plus i liked taking it all apart and cleaning everything, getting to 'know' the car and see how everything is done.

Editing to clarify, each individual muffler needs 6 bolts/nuts removed to be taken out. there are two brackets with two nuts each, and two carriage bolts/nuts on the center muffler collar which are the ones that you've already started presoaking. I didnt mess with the cat nuts at all. Those ones on the center muffler collar that you are presoaking are the only ones that broke on me. Just ran to the store and picked up some SS ones and popped them in. Easy peezy.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 PM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Taken from Westside997's photos, here's where the muffler nuts/bolts are, the bracket in the circle is two, then the two arrows on the right (which are just one bracket) and the two on the center muffler collar which you already found.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:39 PM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Look at posts #60 and #70 on this thread. Its super clear how they did it. I did not want to mess with the cat nuts.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:55 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Look at posts #60 and #70 on this thread. Its super clear how they did it. I did not want to mess with the cat nuts.
Edit: Ok! I get it now. I am putting on a Fister exhaust though. I'm pretty sure I need to remove the three nuts around the cats to install the Fister mufflers...Thanks for the persistence! Took me a minute to understand what you meant. Now I'm debating which method I'm gonna use. Hmmmm.

And I might reshoot my video because I didn't mention soaking the exhaust tips. Definitely gotta remove the exhaust tips to put on the Fister mufflers. I'll mention that it's only necessary if you're installing new mufflers,
Old 08-19-2019, 10:47 AM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Honestly I dont think you'll need to mess with those three catalytic converter bolts either way but...I've never installed the Fisters. Have fun!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:21 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Honestly I dont think you'll need to mess with those three catalytic converter bolts either way but...I've never installed the Fisters. Have fun!
I’ll be starting tomorrow! Really excited!

But I’m still perplexed about the three bolts around the cats. I don’t even need to loosen them? I mean, that’s great news - but why is everyone else removing them? There must be a reason...

Quick Reply: 997.2 Spark Plug DIY