Sponsored by:

Whale Tail

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 PM
AlohaCS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whale Tail

This is my first post here so don't flame me too badly if you think this idea is wacky, but I have seen a lot of posts for after-market rear spoilers. Since it's introduction, I have been a fan of the original OEM whale tail and a lot of the current aftermarket spoilers don't appeal to me.

Has anyone developed a copy of the OEM whale tail to fit a 997.2 or would it be possible to retrofit an OEM whale tail to a 997.2?

I am sure it would take some work to make the whale tail fit perfectly, but if it was done really well on a used decklid while keeping the original decklid stock if one wanted to reverse the look, it might look better than some of the current aftermarket spoilers available for the 972.2.

I am just thinking out loud here and I know that can be a dangerous thing , but has anyone attempted this mod before? I have searched here and I can't seem to find a result addressing this exact idea.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The "whale tail" was originally designed to improve higher speed

driving with the 911. The design of the WT changes each time the aerodynamic characteristics of the car change--which have changed(for the better) several times over the years
"So what"?, you say. Well, at least theoretically, the wrong spoiler affixed to "any" 911 might induce real handling issues at inopportune moments.
Move carefully on this one, please
Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Due to the overall shape of a 911, they all develop lift due to the low pressure area that forms as the air tries to flow down from the roof. For this reason, rear spoilers have been used to change the airflow to reduce the lift affect. The whale tail on the other hand had a second function. That was to house the huge inter cooler located above the engine and needed to cool the air compressed by the turbo charger before entering the intake manifold. Without an inter cooler, there is no real need for a whale tail. I think that due to the aero effects of such a design (including drag), you don't see or need one on a water cooled 911.

Whale tails were used on non turbo racing 911's in the past. One non racing application was the RS America aircooled 964 generation 911. Today's racing 911 uses a huge airfoil positioned high above the rear deck lid where it has access to clean air.

Could you design and install a whale tail type spoiler? Certainly. But the market for the product would be so small I doubt any supplier would take it on.

Last edited by Fred R. C4S; 01-25-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Further comment
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaCS
This is my first post here so don't flame me too badly if you think this idea is wacky, but I have seen a lot of posts for after-market rear spoilers. Since it's introduction, I have been a fan of the original OEM whale tail and a lot of the current aftermarket spoilers don't appeal to me.

Has anyone developed a copy of the OEM whale tail to fit a 997.2 or would it be possible to retrofit an OEM whale tail to a 997.2?

I am sure it would take some work to make the whale tail fit perfectly, but if it was done really well on a used decklid while keeping the original decklid stock if one wanted to reverse the look, it might look better than some of the current aftermarket spoilers available for the 972.2.

I am just thinking out loud here and I know that can be a dangerous thing , but has anyone attempted this mod before? I have searched here and I can't seem to find a result addressing this exact idea.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome Aloha, not sure about your whale tail idea, but if it works don't forget to post some pics........o yea, congrats on becoming a member, a classy way to to get started.

Neil
Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

There is the Misha classic ducktail thread.
It's very similar to the 997 sport classic.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely get the nostalgia for the "whale tail"... I think any child of the 80s does... But the thing is, I think part of what made the aggressive whale tail look work visually was the fender lines of the older 911. Im not quite sure that aesthetic would work on the fender lines of the new car. Would be interesting to see mockups though and shouldnt be hard to photoshop.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

I agree with your assessment on the flow of the current 997. The whale tail was a perfect compliment to the older 911 due to the fender lines. With the narrower 997 fender line, it may look too bulky and not flow well.

Originally Posted by mlambert890
But the thing is, I think part of what made the aggressive whale tail look work visually was the fender lines of the older 911. Im not quite sure that aesthetic would work on the fender lines of the new car. Would be interesting to see mockups though and shouldnt be hard to photoshop.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

There are a few aftermarket whale tails out there. For example, Fiberwerks areo...

But IMHO, the best whale tail is to just raise one's stock rear spoiler.

The aftermarket duck tails seem to work better on the 997 vs. the whale tails.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 AM
AlohaCS
Rennlist Member

You guys are right the more I think about it. What made the whale tail work visually in the past was the proportions of the car. As I look at pictures of both eras, with the later Porsches having different lines and a much sleeker look, I think leaving well enough alone is probably the best medicine.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Let's bring back the slantnose too!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Oh yeeeeaaah!!

Originally Posted by hakaida702
Let's bring back the slantnose too!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Many have sought to bring back this and that on 911s. Keep in mind that your car is no 930, no 911, and no 964 or 993. It's a 997, and it's a totally different animal. For all of your efforts I would daresay that you would wind up with a Frankenstein that will just look terrible.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaCS
You guys are right the more I think about it. What made the whale tail work visually in the past was the proportions of the car. As I look at pictures of both eras, with the later Porsches having different lines and a much sleeker look, I think leaving well enough alone is probably the best medicine.
+1 good decision.

Quick Reply: Whale Tail