Sponsored by:

Oil Indicator (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Indicator (HELP)

Have a question and somewhat of a concern. Maybe some of you have had this issue? The oil indication was just 1 line above the low mark. I added about 350ml of Mobil 1, then with the car cold, I checked the level. It indicated 1 line up which was what I expected. I drove the car and got it up to temp, turned it off and did another oil check. To my surprise it was back down at the same level as before, 1 line above the add. Thinking it was on the shy side of the original line and maybe didn't register to the next line? I decided to add another 350ml and thought that would solve the problem and I would for sure be a couple lines up. Drove the car up to temp and then checked oil. I'm at the same damn line as when this all started. Next step is to drain the entire amount out and give it an oil change? That way I'll at least know how much is in there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by gvcap10
Have a question and somewhat of a concern. Maybe some of you have had this issue? The oil indication was just 1 line above the low mark. I added about 350ml of Mobil 1, then with the car cold, I checked the level. It indicated 1 line up which was what I expected. I drove the car and got it up to temp, turned it off and did another oil check. To my surprise it was back down at the same level as before, 1 line above the add. Thinking it was on the shy side of the original line and maybe didn't register to the next line? I decided to add another 350ml and thought that would solve the problem and I would for sure be a couple lines up. Drove the car up to temp and then checked oil. I'm at the same damn line as when this all started. Next step is to drain the entire amount out and give it an oil change? That way I'll at least know how much is in there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Reads like the sender is bad absent any signs of an oil leak or excessive oil consumption. If the latter two cases I think you'd have noticed something...

Best advise I can offer is take the car in and have a proper oil/filter service done.

The engine is bought up to temp and the oil drained for a specific amount of time. Then the correct amount of oil is added. At the Porsche dealer the other day I asked a tech about their oil guns and he told me it measures to 1/100th a liter. Then the oil level is checked again.

Since the proper drain procedure was followed and the correct amount of oil added if the oil level reading is not correct then this confirms the oil level sensor (or some part of this system) is not working correctly and you can have it fixed.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You may not really have a problem. However, what I do in cases like this is to drain the oil--and measure what comes out. You should be getting (with oil filter) about 8-8.5 quarts out of the engine when fully drained. Then simply put that back in. That should put your oil level about in the middle again.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm perplexed by your description. Measuring the oil level on a 911 is done with the engine warm and idling. Always has been. The electronic "dip stick" shouldn't let you do it any other way. Also, the sensor is very sensitive to the car not being level.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
I'm perplexed by your description. Measuring the oil level on a 911 is done with the engine warm and idling. Always has been. The electronic "dip stick" shouldn't let you do it any other way. Also, the sensor is very sensitive to the car not being level.
The 996 and 997.1, unlike previous air cooled Porsches and your 997.2, measure oil level with the engine off.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And as always, you learn something all the time here.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Thanks for the input. I'll do an oil change and let you know what the deal is. Many thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Well, I drained all the oil and just to see if it was the sensor, did a check. The sensor reads zero. I have it draining dripping now and will let it drain overnight so I know it's at absolute zero. New filter purchase in the morning and then 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 back in. I'll let you know what my indicator reads.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the update. Most likely you are fine. It's probably that while hot some oil perhaps did not drain to the pan totally yet and/or different car leveling if you did not do it on exact same spot as when it was cold.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by gvcap10
Well, I drained all the oil and just to see if it was the sensor, did a check. The sensor reads zero. I have it draining dripping now and will let it drain overnight so I know it's at absolute zero. New filter purchase in the morning and then 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 back in. I'll let you know what my indicator reads.
Sigh. It will read low. 8.5 quarts is just some number tossed around.

There is a specific amount of oil that is to be added to your car's engine after an overnight drain. (There is the amount of oil to be added after a one hour drain, and an overnight drain.)

As I mentioned before the specified amount of oil must be added. As an aside I'm told the amount of oil is tied to the car's VIN.

The oil level is then checked.

If the oil level reading is where Porsche says it should be -- in the case of my Turbo the oil level wants to be at the max line; not above and not below -- then you know the oil level measuring/reporting system is working correctly.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Well, after a complete 30 hours drain, I replaced the drain plug with LN Engineering Magnetic Drain plug. Guess they have a brand new version, so I picked it up (Torque to 19 ft/lb). That's the new torque for these? Guess guys were cracking them with 37 ft/lb.

Added 8 quarts, just to get a reading. Of course it read low as expected added another .5 quarts, still read low. Drove the car got it up to temp. Got home and parked in same spot in garage, LEVEL. Still read low. Waited till this morning to have it cool. Added another .25,still low. Added another .25, so now I know I'm at 9 quarts, reads one bar low now? Will drive it again up to temp and check it warm.

Quick Reply: Oil Indicator (HELP)