Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd car recommendation!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If considering a Ford or any domestic, something I hadn't previously thought of, the Edge Sport is pretty cool, so much that I got one. The sport eliminates the chrome and replaces it with black trim, and comes with pretty cool-looking wheels, standard with purposeful Pirelli's, and suspension is a bit more aggressive for the setting. I've owned mostly Audi, BMW, Porsche and several VWs over the past 3 decades. I also have a new Jetta that's a solid car. I saw one on the road and thought "could I?". I went to the dealer and asked for a test drive and DANG, Ford stepped it up with the Edge Sport! It has the Mustang's V6 305 HP engine, and it feels rather torqy for a heavy small/Medium SUV, drives and handles great, has full leather, Microsoft Synch for nav and every gadget you can think of. I also like that it has paddle shifters for some sporty driving when in Sport selection.

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
Thanks for all the input.
I had thought of the VW GTI but not the Ford Focus ST I must say. My wife plays tennis with the wife of the local Ford dealer, so could possibly get something interesting.
Audi S4 would be nice.
As far as "cute" factor I must say that Fiat and Mini hit the nail on the head, but realistically, it's not going to be fun being 3 in any of those and we really don't need a small car. She just wanted/wants something "cute" and fun.

I guess we'll hit the dealers this weekend and see.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were very similarly situated to you. Bought a Jeep Wrangler for the 3rd car at my wife's suggestion. Ticks a lot of boxes:
convertible - x
fun - x
teen can crawl into the back with no problem or simply climb in over the rear wheel - x
off road - x
bad weather - x
tow - x
urban assault vehicle - x
hard top when wanted - x
fairly cheep to run - x
lots of after market goodies - x
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mojo; Funny. I was thinking of a Wrangler this mid-afternoon. We're in Florida and it would certainly be fun and versatile!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
how about a freakin' Mercedes Benz? an SL for the wife would make her happy every day
Agreed. I would lease a base model and call it a day.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrangler 4 door would be nice, fun to drive but in a much different way than the other cars. Expect terrible MPG and make sure you have a place to store the Hard Top. I had a Rubicon, wish I still had it, but I need another Garage.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Many choices, but do not overlook Infiniti FX50 or FX45. Not G or M, but FX and not a 6-cyl FX3x either.
You owe yourself to test drive one. I am (or used to be anyway) big BMW fan, but both Infiniti FX45 and FX50 drive equally or better than any of mainstream bimmers. If you drive it, you will immediately feel it is not a SUV, although it is good in the snow with proper tires (which I am sure you do not care about). And it is not big. What it is actually its a medium-sized sports car which is just built to look like a crossover. Suspension is top notch, steering is very communicative and stable. Transmission is tuned for sport mode and power/torque is there. I love my FX45 and would buy FX50 in a heart bit if I liked the new style. It is interesting to see reactions from some of my co-workers, who are car nuts and drive all type of sports cars when I give them a try to drive it. Not too many test drive those FX45/50s and when they start driving my car they expect it to be a sporty SUV, but then they quickly realize it is a sports car. Very funny to watch how then they try to explore its limits just to realize they can not reach it on a street drive. They all notice and praise the steering and suspension as well as manual tranny mode with immediate shifts and no automatic upshifts till the very rev limit. In the end I usually hear "wow, it is a fun car! I did not realize we have this option". This is not to promote Infiniti, but just saying from my ownership experience. I love driving this car almost as much as my 997.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:32 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife bought a Mazda 3 hatchback. We went on a 3,000 mile road trip in it last summer. Comfortable for three, including a 17 y/o in the back or front, and I took the opposite seat. Not bad on the highway, zippy in town, decent sound system. 24 mpg on regular gas. We had a Honda Fit before. The Mazda has the zooooom thing. It is a Mazda trademark and I can vouch for it. I preferred the Honda for gas mileage in town and for practicality. The Honda is cooler. But the Mazda is a lot of car for the money. It is cheaper than the Volkswagen and the Mini, and just as much fun as the CooperS based on driving my nephew's Mini. And you can find bargains on them, unlike the Mini, Honda, Audi or others. Check it out.

Last edited by sclemmons; 01-22-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Again, thank you for all the advice. She seems to be headed toward the hatchback option. Not interested in a Mercedes SL type vehicle. The S4 didn't do it either.
Wrangler, Cooper S (possibly Countryman S), Fiat Abarth 500 and outsiders could include the Focus St, GTI, MazdaSpeed3 (with GTI prob favorite amongst the last 3).
Fiat is prob going to be out, 'cause just too small. Mazda is tough with very limited support to be expected down the road. If I could push for just 2 seats and go back to 3 car situation, then a Miata would be really cute and have a lot going for it.

Other option I would like her to consider; a classic/collectible car as a DD. Tough challenge, but fun to think of. We have no reason to change car and no imperative. The only reason to change is just that... it's time to change!
So considering we're in Florida, will be a DD and would sleep outside (most of the time) how about playing this game with classic cars?

The musts are: must seat 3 adults, A/C. Cute would be nice, but we (sorry.... she ) doesn't want everyone's car. Something she'll enjoy driving and reliable - I'll have to do trips for maintenance and am away more than she is, so it must be reliable.

I' guessing we'll buy between tomorrow and Septemeber depending on when the mood strikes :-)
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
Hey Mojo; Funny. I was thinking of a Wrangler this mid-afternoon. We're in Florida and it would certainly be fun and versatile!
I was considering some of the same options - Mini, Fiat, etc. It had to be something that could live outside, had to be fun in its own way, and had to have entertainment value. My wife nixed the really small cars in light of the amount of big truck traffic on our roads. She thought a Jeep would be fun, and next thing you know, Bob's your uncle. The good thing is that if you ever get tired of it, resale is just crazy (must be a Jeep thing).

We got one that is fairly optioned up, and the nice thing is that it goes out when we are dressed up as well as the MB or Porsche. In fact, depending on the part of town we will be in, we will frequently take the Jeep instead of the one of the others.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

You can't go wrong with a GTI. It's is a fun and spirited car with a roomy interior (4-Door), great 2.0L Turbo with good midrange punch, practical with an adequate hatchback space. It also corners well; especially if you put on summer tires. If you can, get the Autobahn version. That has the leather interior with Dynaudio speakers, as well as some other amenities and changes that sets it apart from the other GTI's. The way I look at the VW GTI is you're getting an AUDI interior for $10,000 less!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Does anyone have any experience with the Mini John Cooper Works? It seems we're now at a race between 3; GTI vs mini JCW vs Wrangler
With all the customizable options, the Mini can get quite "fun" and the 208HP should also make it fun. There's the issue of space, but it seems we're headed for a less reasoned decision which is just as well and therefore maybe back to 3 vehicles which would work better for me/us I think.

I've had some experience with VW GTI way back (rabbit!) and its reliability. None with MINI. Are these little go-karts fairly reliable?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the GTI. My '06 GTI/DSG has been a hoot to drive and is approaching 100,000 miles with not one issue. The torquey 2.0 Turbo is just sublime and the DSG makes day to day driving easy. If this thing had a P badge on it we would be paying $50K+ for it!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I would buy the New GTI all day long over the Mini. With the DSG or Manual it is an absolute blast and much more practical than the Mini.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I was in a similar scenario recently when I traded in my Cayenne S on my 997. Wife drives a benz C300 4 matic(which she absolutely loves, tried talking her into an E but she said it was too big). I needed a winter, snowboarding, surfing, going to the cabin and the beach car. I ended up with a 91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Thing gets terrible gas mileage(8-10 city, 12-14 highway). Bought it cheap ($6000.00) Had it painted, ripped out the carpeting and replaced it and now she looks great. Awesome in the snow and the kids love it. I GUARANTEE you that you will not get more compliments or thumbs up than driving around in a 20 year old Waggy. Power windows, power seats and super comfortable It was THE luxury SUV at the time. I enjoy driving Helga(my kid's name for the waggy) as much as the 997. Here is a link to wagonmasters as they always seem to have the best selection. http://www.wagonmaster.com I got mine on Craigslist.
The girls and I work on the little things that come up which helps us spend time together. Super easy to work on with cheap parts that are readily available.
Good Luck on your search.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

I still say Mercedes Benz

Quick Reply: 2nd car recommendation!